cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IS THE CREDIT CARD PAYMENT SYSTEM ON PUBLIC MOBILE SECURE?

keithmcpherson
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I RECENTLY EXPERIENCED A FRAUDULENT CHARGE ON MY NEW CREDIT CARD.  PUBLIC MOBILE WAS THE ONLY CHARGE I HAD MADE PRIOR TO THAT.  i AM CONCERNED THAT SOMEHOW MY CREDIT CARD INFORMATION WAS HACKED WHEN I FILLED IN THE PUBLIC MOBILE PAYMENT FORMS ON MY DESK TOP

I HAVE RUN MALWARE BYTES AND IT SHOWS NOTHING.

13 REPLIES 13

fdrcamb519
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@keithmcpherson 

You will notice Public Mobile has a little lock symbol before website page, meaning it’s a secure site like any other site we would use online. As safe as any site. 

@mimmo sorry about that, I'll try to explain the reasons for the suggestions I've presented to the OP.

yes we definitely have! thanks for pointing that out 😉

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@gpixel  might be worth it to explain the reasoning for your suggestion, as it doesnt really pertain to the users issue. 

As for having a username as firstnamelastname, personally i don't really think it's the end of the world.  We have seen worse. 😞

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Having been a customer with multiple accounts for almost 4 years and knowing many, many others who I have referred to this service not having any sort of payment security problem, I would have to say this service is secure.  

@mimmo seems like the user doesn't know how to protect himself online. today's a good day to learn... 🤏

@mimmoIm thinking not beneficial for his issue, but is beneficial to keep anonymity.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@gpixel  what would the benefit be of doing what you suggested?

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@keithmcpherson 

Some malware is very nasty and can be hidden and hard to quarantine. If this is what you suspect? Where was the charge? Have you contacted your credit card company, and you are now just further investigating?

Public Mobile is as secure as the next company. I wouldnt question it any more then I would question any other site I have put my card number in. 

Ensure your password on your account is secure as well. 

I have had my card used and compromised because of google pay, and that is a huge company. 

Another way you could avoid this is by using a prepaid card like Stack. Where you top up the balance and it can not be charged more then that balance and you can also freeze the funds anytime. 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@keithmcpherson wrote:

I RECENTLY EXPERIENCED A FRAUDULENT CHARGE ON MY NEW CREDIT CARD.  PUBLIC MOBILE WAS THE ONLY CHARGE I HAD MADE PRIOR TO THAT.  i AM CONCERNED THAT SOMEHOW MY CREDIT CARD INFORMATION WAS HACKED WHEN I FILLED IN THE PUBLIC MOBILE PAYMENT FORMS ON MY DESK TOP

@keithmcpherson  When entering your cc info during activation or later via selfserve, it's always a good idea to clear you cache afterwards.

If you activated at a retail location do not give your cc info to the employee best to purchase a voucher and setup Auto-Pay later on your own.

Also do not provide cc info  when submitting a ticket to PM or when messaging any PM Moderator Team member.

Just because the MB scan did not find anything doesn't mean your machine does not have malware installed. You should also run a full scan from Windows Defender just to be safe.

Do you install freeware on that desktop?

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@keithmcpherson a good idea would be to change community name and the name on your self serve account. contact Moderators to change your community name and for your self serve, you can do this yourself to further protect your identity

Danchvn
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@keithmcpherson For the while I have been with Public Mobile I have not had any charges to my card I couldn't explain. Public Mobile has only charged me for what I owed them.

Hope things work out for you.

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@keithmcpherson I highly doubt Public Mobile is the problem here. It could be related to someting elese. Were not your bank. I would consider contacting the bank about this first.

The SelfServe system is secure and your CC information is in good hands. It could be a problem on your side. Like a Hacked PC or internet network. 

@keithmcpherson wrote:

The payment is as secure as any other online payment system and the self serve site is encrypted. It's not impossible for someone to steal your information, but I would say that the risk is likely not any higher than any other website.

Need Help? Let's chat.