cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMEI on lost/stolen list?

ChristinaAnneM
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

my Moto G 1st gen stopped reading the SIM card May 1 2015. It was sent twice to a company who fixes phones for Motorola. I got it back today & they say my IMEI number is on a lost/stolen list! I don't know or understand how that is possible since I bought it at a Public Mobile store (before they closed them) I did register it with Motorola the day after I purchased it, the serial & IMEI numbers were registered & they match what is on my phone, is this the reason the SIM card won't connect to Public Mobile's Network? I also do have my bill etc from Public Mobile so, have more than enough proof its in fact my phone.I did send it to PM, but of course do not know how long I will have to wait for a reply.

29 REPLIES 29

ChristinaAnneM

@hunnybunny - Thanks & I appreciate you're help 🙂  Something has definitely gone crazy! 

hunnybunny
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
I was just trying to help 😀 @ChristinaAnneM I know your frustrated. I'm sure pm will help you with it. It definitely sounds like something went crazy.

ChristinaAnneM

As I said, never tried selling it, I never let anyone use it either. 

hunnybunny
I own a moto g and bought it from Telus. Have never had a problem with it.
I am sure pm will most definitely correct the mistake if it is their mistake. As you said you have had this phone all this time with no problems but just remember what I mentioned above I didnt say u bought it used all I asked was if u ever tried selling it and why I asked.
Hope it gets sorted for you 😀

ChristinaAnneM

@hunnybunny - The 2 phones I bought, were both bought at Public Mobile. 1st one had to be replaced because of PM switching to another network, I wouldn't buy a second hand phone, besides, Public Mobile had great prices for the phone I wanted (Moto G) From the time I chose to go with Public Mobile until May 1st, I had no problems at all. The only thing I can think of that may have caused this - When I bought my Moto G, the employee noticed a scratch on the screen with the phone he started out with, he showed me, then went to get another. I don't remember if he had already scanned the first phone or started the process, just very strange that another IMEI number is in my account. I did register the Moto G with Motorola the day after I bought it, they have the IMEI & serial numbers for my Moto G recorded on their site & both match what is on my phone. 

ChristinaAnneM

@hunnybunny - Nope, never tried selling it. I bought the phone at a Public Mobile store in June 2014. 

hunnybunny

Hi @ChristinaAnneM

Have you ever tried to sell the phone? it seems to be a new thing where ppl buying phones say on kijiji have someone who wants to buy the phone but wants to check the imei to make sure its not stolen. they end up not buying the phone from you but turn around and clam your phone is theirs and its stolen so they can get a new phone through their carrier/ or where they bought it.

Its happening here a bit. :(. I personally dont buy used I only buy from carrier or best buy or somewhere like that.

ChristinaAnneM

Since the IMEI numbers on my phone and Motorola's site match (I registered it with Motorola the day after I purchased my device) How is it possible that the IMEI number in my account is different? I don't get any of this! trying hard not to be too frustrated, but at this point, its very difficult. 

ChristinaAnneM

I know they will resolve it (did receive an email saying that the phone will be un-blacklisted) Just want to know how this could happen, who reported it and when they insisted they were investigating the issue on May 1st, how was this not noticed. Really proves just how important it is to keep bills, the box and registering your phone with the manufacturer! 

No problem. 

Jeremy_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired
@makkahn28 thank you for the positive attitude! And yes, we will do our best to make sure this type of issue which we are investigating doesn't happen again.

Thanks again for your positive attitude it helps get the job done with less stress.

Cheers!

@ChristinaAnneM, I can understand that predicament. Definitely Public Mobile has a lot of explaining to do. But, rest assured, PM will figure out what happened,and Cork the Issue so that it does not alarm Clients of this. PM will resolve it, I can Feel it. @Jeremy_M, I'm sure that You and PM can solve this unfortunate issue, so that @ChristinaAnneM can rest soundly and w/o worry or stress. Its the right thing to do in a situation like this.

ChristinaAnneM

Seeing as this has been going on since May 1st, after week one or two & PM telling me something was probably wrong with the SIM card tray, its very difficult to remain calm. This has caused a lot of problems for me, I'm visually impaired, missed calls from the hospital, when I had eye issues, I couldn't call anyone...I don't understand how PM could not have figured this out.

@ChristinaAnneM, try to remain calm. Public obviously didn't do this intensionally, and @Jeremy_M is attempting to get to the Bottom of this so that it NEVER happens again, to you or anybody else

@ChristinaAnneM I did send you PM so we can discuss this a little further. Thank you for your cooperation.

ChristinaAnneM

Hopefully the CCTS will make them tell me. I did ask PM how this could have happened, no answer yet...

DK
Glad too hear PM has taken ownership of the issue. I hope they find out how it happened in the first place.

ChristinaAnneM

EMEI matches my account & my phone & was registered to Motoroal the day after I purchased it. The phone stopped reading my SIM card May 1 2015 (SIM would not connect to network no matter what I did) PM sent 3 more SIM cards, none worked so, contacted Motorola, they had the phone sent to a company who fixes devices for them & they discovered the EMEI was on a lost/stolen list - A month and 4 days after all this started, why didn't PM know? I still put in a complaint, I had no working phone for 1 month due to this. 

ChristinaAnneM

Someone from PM responded - They are so very sorry it was on the lost/stolen list & my phone will work again in 2 days. I still put in a complaint to CCTS, I expect and think I deserve a nice credit after all this crap. 

@ChristinaAnneM

Thank you for raising your concern with the community. As you can see we are more than eager to help solve the issue your experiencing. Smiley Happy

I would also like to try to assist you if possible. Before issuing an official complaint as the other community members mentioned, would you be able to shed some more light on the issue?

• The phone you received back from the company, is the EMI# the same? or did they send you a new phone?
  • How are you aware if your number was blacklisted? did you call and speak to a live agent?
  • You mentioned that your phone stoped working, is there a message that is displayed on your phone? if yes what is the message?
  • Have you tried the basic troubleshooting steps? (remove and reinsert SIM)
  • Do you have a friend or relative that is with Public, Telus or Koodo and try entering their SIM in your Motorola.

It seems like alot of questionsSmiley Frustrated but it would shed more light on the issue at hand.

Cheers!

DK
The only other reason that a telco has put a phone on the blacklist is for default of account which as I understand is illegal as well. The blacklist was supposed to be a tool to keep stolen phones from being sold to unsuspecting buyers second hand but Bell though that they would add default accounts to it as well.

ChristinaAnneM

When I had discussed the SIM card issue with Motorola, they needed the EMEI number, so did the company that fixes devices for Motorola. Otherwise, no one else had that info, but me. A friend gave me another phone to use until mine is "fixed" I just learned today that the EMEI # is on a lost/stolen list, the phone stopped reading the SIM card May 1st.

ChristinaAnneM

I was planning to, thanks! 

ChristinaAnneM

And all this time I thought something was wrong with the SIM card tray on my phone 😞  I've been a PM customer since Feb 2014 & purchased the phone at the PM store June 2014. Shouldn't they have known it was that & not an issue with the SIM card tray?

Yes. CRTC, CCRT, CWTC, This is a very serious problem

DK
I would also file a complaint with the CRTC asking how this is possible if I were you. The link is here...

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/info_sht/t12.htm

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire

Hi. Yes, that's extremely serious and stressful. If U are a Client before Jan 27 and have a GF plan, Use alternate phone and call 1-855-4Public and follow prompts, and explain to a PM repbon situation. PM will remedy the issue at hand. If New Client, Email PM and within 24-48 hrs, PM will email back with a response to this serious situation

Cyber
Mayor / Maire

@ChristinaAnneM,

Did you received a replacement ?

Did you put your service in a "suspend state" in your self serve account ?

Everybody can ask to put an IMEI on the black list. You must keep that number just for you.

DK
This is one of my beefs with the national blacklist and that is the IMEI ending up on the list when you are the rightful owner. If you are a customer from before January 27th 2015 I would be calling them and asking how does a phone end up on the blacklist when you have proof of purchase and have never reported it lost/stolen.

Need Help? Let's chat.