cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I've notice a drop in cellphone signal close to 2 bars at home.

sabinefernando9
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

hi there,

I've been using public mobile and i seem to find the signal dropping often from 5 to 2 bars from home and in college. The phone isn't the issue for sure... Also I hear weird noises on the phone when on out going calls in the background at times. Thnx for reading

11 REPLIES 11

NeoAnderson

I don't think there is an actual solution other than be aware of your surroundings and try a location where the signal strength is strong. You can research and purchase a "cell phone signal booster" if need be but as long as your calls are not dropped, I wouldn't bother.

RSZ1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

The bars showing on your phone is arbitrary and pretty much meaningless.  

I switch out custom ROMs quite often and the bars showing on the phone is different on the same phone with a different ROM on it.

Concrete, metal, low elevation, and even weather can impede radio signals. Machinery, electrical/power transmissions, construction, and other active sources can interfere with radio signals.

PM uses Telus (and Bell) networks. Weak signal observed on any other device using the network at your location - any phone connecting to Telus, Koodo, Public, Bell, Virgin, Lucky - means it's likely not a problem with the phone. Strong signal on the network at other locations means it's likely not a problem with the phone.

Some phone models have better or worse radio hardware than others. It's hard to find unbiased reviews, the advertising specs always focus on features and compatibilities more than on reliability.

@sabinefernando9 reset your network settings

1. Open Settings>General Management>Reset
2. Tap Reset Network Settings>Tap Reset Settings
If prompted enter your pin, passcode
3. Tap Reset Settings 1 more time to confirm
4. Restart

sabinefernando9

well i think i have the issue, some people do too with smaller carrier companies like Fizz mobile or Chatr..

sabinefernando9

ive upgraded galaxy phones recently so that shouldn't be an issue. 

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Hi @sabinefernando9 

When you step outside of the home or college, do the bars return?

Also, do other people experience the same signal loss in the same location you're experiencing it?

sabinefernando9

already did, i recently upgraded to a better phone.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@sabinefernando9 ,

You mentioned it was not a phone issue...how do you know? Did you try your SIM in another phone and the same thing is happening?

@JK8  you reading my mind?

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@sabinefernando9 wrote:

hi there,

I've been using public mobile and i seem to find the signal dropping often from 5 to 2 bars from home and in college. The phone isn't the issue for sure... Also I hear weird noises on the phone when on out going calls in the background at times. Thnx for reading

To rule out your phone, can you put your sim in another phone to try out?

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Hello @sabinefernando9 ,

Check for any outages in your area.

Outage Map:

https://downdetector.ca/status/telus/map/

Also, do one or more of the below:

*rebooting your phone

*removing your SIM for a few minutes, then reinserting it

*go into airplane mode for a few minutes, then going back to regular mode

*reboot your phone again

Need Help? Let's chat.