cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I lost my phone number I NEED IT BACK

mojy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Dear Reader, 

I am currently out of country and I didn't use my phone number for three month and I had in my calendar to pay for my number before I lose my number but I had a surgery and wasn't feeling well to check my laptop. It's been only 5 days now that I lost my account. 

I have been with public mobile and this number for the past 8 years with number of [deleted ..... Luddite]. My everything is with this number all school and business work. I really need my number back. If anything needed I will provide my email any other information! 

Please..... I would appreciate it if you can help me get my number back as I have been with public mobile for the past 8 years ! 

Best,

Maryam [deleted ..... Luddite] 

22 REPLIES 22

@darlicious 

Yup...we had some of them too. 

@Anonymous wrote:

@darlicious : I have often wondered that for some older folks...what is the record long duration of phone number ownership. If folks haven't moved out of an area since what...maybe the fifties? Sixties? Maybe even the old naming scheme of a name and the rest of the numbers when apparently people couldn't remember 5 digits. What was that...the forties? hmmm

Yes a black phone would just be A GUESS!

My in-laws only since 2007 when they moved to Point Roberts WA from Tulsa OK. My mom since 1989 when her and my dad moved from Bowen Island BC to Langley. Hmmmm, never mind our parents..I have had my landline number since 1980 when I bought my first house, a fixer upper in Coquitlam (for $66,000). Have moved but not beyond the length of the cord on my landline! 

Phone numbers with names/letters are/were referred to as 2L-5N numbers (2 Letter - 5 Number) except that before 1960 many were 2L-4N (only 6 digits total) and Victoria BC was 1L-4N up until the late 50’s etc. Then of course small rural dial exchanges were quite of then just 3 or 4 digits long.

@LurganIeUk your FAirfax (capitalized letters are the ones that needed to be dialled followed by the digits) number was FRaser and 4 digits until the late 50’s. For the most part North American phone numbers were standardized at 7 digits long by about 1960 and the letters began to disappear officially being replaced by the equivalent numbers. I think they were officially gone by 1964 but of course that didn’t stop people from using them awhile longer.

AE_Collector (writing this book from the WEbster 7 Exchange in Coquitlam.

E7B80600-9250-4761-B9FF-F1AB363527B1.jpeg

@LurganIeUk wrote:

On a big black rotary wall phone. 

@LurganIeUk 

Maybe......

Screenshot_20191117-205402~2.png

@Anonymous wrote:

@darlicious : I have often wondered that for some older folks...what is the record long duration of phone number ownership. If folks haven't moved out of an area since what...maybe the fifties? Sixties? Maybe even the old naming scheme of a name and the rest of the numbers when apparently people couldn't remember 5 digits. What was that...the forties? hmmm

@Anonymous  Family member has had the same landline number for about 50 years.  Hard to imagine, really.   

On a big black rotary wall phone. 

@LurganIeUk 

I would expect a call shortly from @AE_Collector . Don't block it as an unknown caller!

Wow. In the days of an abbreviated name, sometimes defining your neighbourhood, along with numbers has nothing to do with poor memory. There were benefits do dial all letters vs all numbers. And some of it has to do with exchanges to run the phone system and the lack of electronics. And who dials a number any more and just taps a favourite or a number in your contacts or from a web site. TODAY is the time of no memory. 

Feel free to call me at Fairfax 5 2124. 

@AE_Collector 

In regards to @Anonymous  query how long have your parents had their phone number?

@LurganIeUk wrote:

@LEGO wrote:

You never know, it might be still available in the phone numbers pool.

As long as it was not ported in when OP started with PM. 

@LurganIeUk 

As long as it wasn't ported in from another provider other than koodo or telus.

@darlicious wrote:

@mojy 

If you just lost the number it will still be in the "pool" but was it originally a pm/ koodo/telus phone number? If yes then acquire a new sim card and contact the moderators to activate the sim card and try to retrieve your "lost" phone number from the number pool. This can be done as @Andu_S set a precedent a few months back by doing this for another customer.

**If your number came from another provider you would have to contact them and activate an account with them to try and retrieve your phone number.

When I ported from Telus to PM. My account remained alive for a couple of months at Telus. Assuming PM is using same system it my still be owned by OP in a dormant stage. Bit I will admit when I left Telus I had a balance of around $50. 

@LEGO wrote:

As long as it was not ported in when OP started with PM. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@HALIMACS 

Yes the loss of accumulated rewards would be a tough pill to swallow ( no pun intended.) But losing one's long time phone number is as well. I maintain two accounts for just that purpose and the ability to to recover forgotten or unknown passwords for accounts can be ever so important (think about that bitcoin guy!) Plus I have had the added bonus of reconnecting with old friends who have taken a chance and dialed my phone number of 20+ years and are surprised that I still have it!

@darlicious wrote:

@HALIMACS 

The account cannot be recovered....the phone number possibly.

For sure, @darlicious 

It is regrettable for the OP.   Having had reached the 5+ year loyalty would be a harder thing to lose, in my view.

A number is just a number - can be easily changed with notification to all contacts who one wishes to hear from routinely.   

@HALIMACS 

The account cannot be recovered....the phone number possibly.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@mojy 

If more than 90 days have passed in suspend mode, your account and SIM card will be permanently deactivated.

Sorry, it's very unlikely a Moderator can amend this decision.

@Luddite 

Ok I probably should have said may be possible.....the sooner the better for sure.

@darlicious wrote:

@mojy 

If you just lost the number it will still be in the "pool" but was it originally a pm/ koodo/telus phone number? If yes then acquire a new sim card and contact the moderators to activate the sim card and try to retrieve your "lost" phone number from the number pool. This can be done as @Andu_S set a precedent a few months back by doing this for another customer.

**If your number came from another provider you would have to contact them and activate an account with them to try and retrieve your phone number.

@darlicious Just fyi: sadly, this is now, at best, a very weak maybe. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@mojy 

RosieR
Mayor / Maire

Hi @mojy I hope you are feeling much better.  I had a recent surgery as well and I just didn't have the strength or the will to check the internet.  I wish you quick recovery.  🌹🌹🌹

I'm afraid that your number may be gone now as after 90 days (as you already know) the account is closed permanently.  You have to open a new account and hopefully your number is still in the pool.

Call your number, if someone answers, you had lost the number.  I hope you hear "the number is not available", which could bring you hope.

Best wishes

RosieR

LEGO
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

TheGx
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@mojy :You can try asking Moderator Team, but I don't think anyone will be able to get it back for you because it too late.

To contact Moderator click on white button bottom right or click effector button top right.

Need Help? Let's chat.