cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I just got started with 3G Plan. Here's what I feel about.

mintroid
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

So yesterday, I switched to Public Mobile's special offer plan, which gives 4.5GB of data in 3G Speed. As everyone here might know, its 3G plan uses LTE network capped in 3Mbps.

Before I switched to Public Mobile, I used Rogers prepaid, which was $30/month for 50 minutes talk, unlimited text (Canada-wide), and 250MB data (In full speed). I worried about 3G plans when I heard that it is very slow, so I considered to switch to its $35 LTE Plan through build my own plan, which will give unlimited province-wide talk, unlimited international text, and 500MB LTE data. However, since special offer plan offered 4.5GB data, I thought it is way better deal an it was a limited time offer, so I decided to switch to 4.5GB plan.

After making a switch, I started to test out its speed, seeing if it is suitable plan. I tested e-mail, web browsing, social media, and video streaming.

1. E-Mail

E-Mail will be absolutely fine on its 3G plans. In fact, as it uses capped LTE, it actually loads E-Mail faster than actual 3G, thanks to its lower latency and higher realiability.

2. Web Browsing

Web browsing is working great. Google will load very well, including Google images. However, some websites with a lot of images will load slower than regular LTE. Still, web browsing is also possible and if you do not mind slower speed on image-based webpages, its 3G plan is great deal.

3. Social Media

Almost everyone use social media through apps, so I do. I tested speed on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. Twitter and Facebook worked great, and it was slightly slower than full-speed Rogers LTE, but still in acceptable level. Instagram was slower on 3G plan than Rogers LTE, loading images quite slowly. However, its speed was still acceptable, as with 250MB LTE plan I used with Rogers, I couldn't even think about using Instagram on data.

4. Video streaming.

On Public Mobile 3G plan, I could stream YouTube very well on 480p (Maybe even 720P, as 1.5Mbps mall wi-fi could stream YouTube in 480p). You might not notice significant difference between 480p and higher resolution, so I would recommend setting resolution to 480p, as it will also help you to stream more using same amount of data than 720p.

Conclusion:

After running test on 4 different tasks, Public Mobile's 3G plan will be suitable for most of people. Unless you download large files through data network, 3Mbps is enough speed for most of tasks, including video streaming. Furthermore, as Public Mobile's 3G plan is LTE capped in 3Mbps, it is actually more reliable than real 3G. 

19 REPLIES 19

myka
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hope your phone is okay! I use Waze and have no problem using it on my public mobile data. 

Carsony

@Luddite wrote:

@Carsony wrote:

I've just switched recently also. I'm finding the speed to be acceptable when compared to Rogers.

But I'm having a problem with my GPS. It can't locate me when I'm in Waze. Anyone also have this problem?

Don't believe GPS is related to PM service. I have used my phone offline and had no issues with location via GPS.

Thanks. I tried recalibrating the compass in Google maps. Haven't had a chance to try it yet.

@Carsony wrote:

I've just switched recently also. I'm finding the speed to be acceptable when compared to Rogers.

But I'm having a problem with my GPS. It can't locate me when I'm in Waze. Anyone also have this problem?

Don't believe GPS is related to PM service. I have used my phone offline and had no issues with location via GPS.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Carsony

myka

I've had the same plan for a few months now (although I just switched to the extra 500MB bonus promo with autopay for the same price) and found that the data is actually sufficient for me too, both speed and GB! 

RocketMan

For me the only time I notice the speed is when I'm downloading a new app.  On lte it was instant but on 3g, I have to wait upwards of 30 seconds, which seems forever if you watch the download.

But instead of having to ration all my usage on lte plans I now steam all my music, have removed all the mobile data saving settings in all my apps and still have enough to watch YouTube etc whenever I want.  More data has completely changed my experience.

Like home internet, there a limit to how much speed you really need... The rest is just marketing.

StewartMann

So far (1 week) I hav'nt noticed any differance between my former service (Bell LTE+) amd PM's 3G.

Everything I do seems to be just as fast.

Jarvar
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Orz I have been serving up my phones personal hotspot when on the road using Public Mobile’s LTE Lite speed. I was also using GPS through Waze at the same time. Perhaps it is the novelty of actualy having an internet connection while in a car that still wows me compared to past road trips.

Jarvar
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I was starting to think I needed LTE speeds. However I have been road tripping lately and I noticed that in a lot of the rural places we have been staying has “highspeed” but not at the rates I am used to. The last couple places have been 1.7 Mbps max with an ulpad of mahbe 0.7 Mbps. So even 3G or throttled LTE is most likely better than that. I also had the chance to use Face time with someone using Public Mobile’s LTE Lite speeds.

Orz
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Good to know, I was a bit worried about the speed if I ever upgrade my mom's line to one with data. She's used to tethering to my LTE line but she would have no data on her own when she goes out by herself. The 3G seem to be a viable soultion.

CalvinW
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Great read, think I’m going to future date the promo to try out myself

Marchibald

I concur with the original poster. I have been with pm for several months now and see absolutely no difference between the two. Nothing significantly noticeable anyhow.  

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hi,
If you have any questions concerning your account, just send a private message through the following link :
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

mintroid

I activated with 3g plan at the beginning. I didn't switch from lte plan.

jp2
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

It is important to note that if you just switched to 3G you can recieve full LTE speed for the first 72 hours until the throttle comes into effect. So that might affect your test.

But even with the throttle I find that 3G is good for me

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Personally, I found 1080p video to be fine as well.  It takes a bit of time to fill the buffer.  Once that is ito of the way, everything is smooth.  Another demanding task is video calling. 

Good test result.  As someone mentioned before, it doesnt affect most daily activity, unless download big file or need to stream high quality video on your phone.

David01

I found that as well. No comparison between the capped LTE service, and service on an actual 3G network. The capped LTE service from PM is much more reliable. Pages/apps load moderately fast and streaming YouTube works great, without freezing or buffering. I've also been very happy with it. You save a lot of money and get more data. I also find it saves on data usage too, compared to full speed LTE. At least, I seem to use less. Glad to hear you like it. 

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

Thanks for sharing some real world findings. I am very satisfied with 3G 🙂

Need Help? Let's chat.