cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I just don't understand why my phone is using mobile data.

mobileguy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

It happened again today.  I used a bunch load of mobile data without even knowing it.  And since I only have 250mb per month, I like to keep as much of it available for emergency use only.  So I always have my mobile data option turned off.  In Developer settings, I have the option turned off where mobile data automatically kicks in when Wifi is no longer in range.  So today, I went out and drove away from my place and found out 30 minutes later that I was still online.  My Wifi was off and I couldn't find anywhere on my phone that would have allowed me to continue being online.  And unfortunately, while I was online, it looks like Google playstore decided to do a bunch of updates on me so there goes my mobile data for this month.  I posted about this before awhile back so hoping to get some new ideas as to what may be going on.  Right now, it doesn't appear I can even turn off mobile data when I'm away from my Wifi.  Thanks for your help.

29 REPLIES 29

@mobileguy 

Fingers crossed!

mobileguy

@darlicious , thanks...already done.  Let's see what happens the next time.

@mobileguy 

So you need to turn off those individual app settings...

Turn off auto-sync
  1. Open your phone's Settings app.
  2. Tap Accounts.
  3. If you have more than one account on your phone, tap the one you want to sync.
  4. Tap Account sync.
  5. Turn off the apps you don't want to auto-sync.

When I have data saver enabled it automatically only allows auto-sync to work on wifi. But with a Google phone it must give you more options with individual apps' settings...thus more work to tiurn them off.

mobileguy

OK...I think I figured out what's happening.  So yesterday, I was out and had no internet connection.  My wifi was OFF and my Mobile Data was also turned off.

However, if somebody sends me an email or an MMS message, this turns my phone back Online again.  So I'll have to figure a way to work around this.

Thanks.

wellis
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@mobileguy

After doing some quick research I’ve found that you’re able to manage you background data usage on each app through permissions. In addition, there seems to be a feature called auto-sync that controls whether or not your phone will automatically start using data, you may want to toggle this feature off. As I’m not a user of this phone model a can not confirm that these will help... but I thought I’d let you know. 

mobileguy

@wellis , thanks.  I have the pixel 3a.  Hard to find the wifi-assist feature.  Maybe it's called something else.

wellis

To elaborate on my last post, you can also turn on Low data mode under Cellular data options, this will ensure your iPhone isn't doing things in the background such as updating or uploading while you aren't using wifi. I would also recommend turning off Wi-Fi assist, as this feature uses your data when your wi-fi connection isn't stable

wellis

If you're using an iPhone, you can go into your settings and toggle which applications you allow to use your cellular data. Personally, I just toggled off all of the apps that track location or send lots of notifications through. Further, I like to turn off my cellular data when I'm running low to ensure that it won't be running when I don't want it to. I found these few things to help. 

mobileguy

@softech , yes, in my original post, I mentioned that I always keep the mobile data setting to OFF.  That is the issue I'm having.  Everything seems turned off for mobile data but sometimes it just connects be back automatically.

@mobileguy   Why don't you just disable Data and only enable it when needed?

You should be able to so from Settings.  Also, you might be able to setup a Quick Button from the Notification bar, there might be Mobile Data button for easy toggle on/off as well as easy to check if Data is on or not

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/6111329?hl=en

mobileguy

After experimenting a bit more last night, I found something that appears to work.  However, I can't say if it's a permanent solution.  I find that when I'm at home and still connected to Wifi, if I disconnect Wifi before I got out, I'm offline no matter where I go afterwards.  My internet connection never got reconnected automatically for the hour that I was out.  Again, not sure if that will work everytime but it's something I'll be keeping an eye one.

mobileguy

@softech , I will look into that option.  Maybe I don't have that set as a default.

mobileguy

@darlicious , thanks.  That is something worth trying.

@mobileguy did you set your Google Play store to update via Wifi only?

At Play Store, Under General, tap Auto-update apps, enable Auto-update apps over Wi-Fi only

Also, did you check Mobile Data Usage? It might be able to show you which app stole your data.

@mobileguy 

You need to set your data warning much lower at say 50mb and your data limiter at say 100mb. Then you get the warning that something is up when its only used 20% of your data. If for some reason you don't notice the warning and your data continues to be used it will then just stop at 100mb or 40% of your data. You could set these much lower at 5mb and 10mb to truely conserve and test when your mobile data is being enabled on its own and there is data usage.

mobileguy

@Anonymous , leaving Developer's options on or off I get the same results.  I just don't think there's one constant causing this to happen.  Results appear to be random at best.  I guess I just need to be more wary everytime I go out.

mobileguy

@darlicious , yes my limiter will limit my data usage.  I have it set to give me a warning at 200mb.  But today, i used up to 180mb without knowing it.  I never use mobile data unless it's an emergency and that would only happen if I have car issues and I'm stranded in the middle of nowhere.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's all very bizarre assuming you've done all the right things. You have developer options on and found "Mobile data always active" set to off. Do you leave developer options on all the time? I wonder.

You've turned off all the background data settings in all the apps you don't want doing that.

This may be for dual-SIM but you have "Mobile data only apps" set to off.

Play store certainly should respect the setting to not update on mobile data.

Edit: testing going outside like that is a nice repeatable test. That would help in finding the culprit.

@mobileguy 

So your limiter won't limit your data usage?

mobileguy

Thanks to everyone for your help and suggestions.  Seems like it's a hit and miss thing for me right now.  I went outside and walked away from my router and tried to access the internet and found I was offline, which is what I want.  Then I walked even further away and I was back online again.  Bizarre.  Even searching the net for solutions have proved futile.

@mobileguy wrote:

@esjliv , the data toggle is already Off and has remained off even after network resets and powering down my phone.

@mobileguy 

When you look at your usage history on your Self Serve does it show your data being used?

If your Data is DISABLED on your device, you should not be using data from your plan.

What other Data settings does your phone give you?

Can you do a screen shot of your Data Disabled?

esjliv_1-1621888069509.png

Ensure this is off too:

esjliv_0-1621887964812.png

IF all settings are set correctly, I would suggest a factory reset - as last resort...(make sure you back up, before doing this).

@mobileguy 

Have you tried setting your data limiter to 0mb?

@mobileguy 

Looks like that you are doing the right things.

Here is some information that I searched on google pixel:

Turn mobile data on or off

1. Open your phone's Settings app.
  2. Tap Network & internet    >    Data usage.
  3. Tap Mobile data.
Tip: You can conserve data by turning off mobile data access. If you do this, you’ll only be able to use data when you connect to a Wi-Fi network.

You can also turn off auto sync.  Restrict background data usage by app.  

mobileguy

@esjliv , the data toggle is already Off and has remained off even after network resets and powering down my phone.

mobileguy

@Dunkman , I'm not sure about Playstore option only updating via Wifi.  But what I would really like to do is to be able to turn off and keep off mobile data when I'm away from my Wifi router.

mobileguy

@darlicious , I have the Google Pixel 3a.  Thanks.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@mobileguy wrote:

It happened again today.  I used a bunch load of mobile data without even knowing it.  And since I only have 250mb per month, I like to keep as much of it available for emergency use only.  So I always have my mobile data option turned off.  In Developer settings, I have the option turned off where mobile data automatically kicks in when Wifi is no longer in range.  So today, I went out and drove away from my place and found out 30 minutes later that I was still online.  My Wifi was off and I couldn't find anywhere on my phone that would have allowed me to continue being online.  And unfortunately, while I was online, it looks like Google playstore decided to do a bunch of updates on me so there goes my mobile data for this month.  I posted about this before awhile back so hoping to get some new ideas as to what may be going on.  Right now, it doesn't appear I can even turn off mobile data when I'm away from my Wifi.  Thanks for your help.

@mobileguy , I certainly see why this would have been not a pleasant surprise.

Something seems off somewhere?

Do a Reset of you Network Settings, then Reboot. 

Does your Data Toggle then show up available to disable?

@mobileguy 

Sometimes I consider the $15 plan as a plan with no data.  250 mb data is such a small amount and can be easily used up and it is sometimes difficult to control usage as you have described.  

Here is the official help article of hints of data management:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/managing-your-data-usage

Is there settings in Google playstore to only update on Wifi?  

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@mobileguy 

What is the make and model of your phone? I know we have already listed in the past all the ways to reduce your mobile data usage. So what needs to be answered is why your phone is turning your mobile data back on again and why your data warning, data limiter and data saver are not working?

Need Help? Let's chat.