cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
softech
Mayor / Maire

Re: I just don't understand why my phone is using mobile data.

@mobileguy   Why don't you just disable Data and only enable it when needed?

You should be able to so from Settings.  Also, you might be able to setup a Quick Button from the Notification bar, there might be Mobile Data button for easy toggle on/off as well as easy to check if Data is on or not

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/6111329?hl=en

mobileguy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@softech , yes, in my original post, I mentioned that I always keep the mobile data setting to OFF.  That is the issue I'm having.  Everything seems turned off for mobile data but sometimes it just connects be back automatically.

wellis
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

If you're using an iPhone, you can go into your settings and toggle which applications you allow to use your cellular data. Personally, I just toggled off all of the apps that track location or send lots of notifications through. Further, I like to turn off my cellular data when I'm running low to ensure that it won't be running when I don't want it to. I found these few things to help. 

wellis

To elaborate on my last post, you can also turn on Low data mode under Cellular data options, this will ensure your iPhone isn't doing things in the background such as updating or uploading while you aren't using wifi. I would also recommend turning off Wi-Fi assist, as this feature uses your data when your wi-fi connection isn't stable

mobileguy

@wellis , thanks.  I have the pixel 3a.  Hard to find the wifi-assist feature.  Maybe it's called something else.

wellis

@mobileguy

After doing some quick research I’ve found that you’re able to manage you background data usage on each app through permissions. In addition, there seems to be a feature called auto-sync that controls whether or not your phone will automatically start using data, you may want to toggle this feature off. As I’m not a user of this phone model a can not confirm that these will help... but I thought I’d let you know. 

mobileguy

OK...I think I figured out what's happening.  So yesterday, I was out and had no internet connection.  My wifi was OFF and my Mobile Data was also turned off.

However, if somebody sends me an email or an MMS message, this turns my phone back Online again.  So I'll have to figure a way to work around this.

Thanks.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@mobileguy 

So you need to turn off those individual app settings...

Turn off auto-sync
  1. Open your phone's Settings app.
  2. Tap Accounts.
  3. If you have more than one account on your phone, tap the one you want to sync.
  4. Tap Account sync.
  5. Turn off the apps you don't want to auto-sync.

When I have data saver enabled it automatically only allows auto-sync to work on wifi. But with a Google phone it must give you more options with individual apps' settings...thus more work to tiurn them off.

mobileguy

@darlicious , thanks...already done.  Let's see what happens the next time.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@mobileguy 

Fingers crossed!

Need Help? Let's chat.