cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I got an email today ask me why I left

wilsoncheng
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I got an email today ask me why I left Public Mobile.

However, I didn't left. I am just in "Suspended" state as the user of the # is currently oversea.

It was Suspended since Dec and I will activate it again in Feb, before the 90day is up.

Why am I receiving this message? I am worry is there something wrong that I will lost my # and plan?

7 REPLIES 7

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@LenK small note on the Fido tablet plans: if you ask, they will put a free block on calls and texts so that you can't accidentally incur pay-per-use charges for those services.  And yes, the 2 free years is nice, I'm rolling up on the last month or two of mine as we speak, and need to decide what to do.  I don't really need the extra data, but there a few ares where the Telus network is a bit weaker and I like being able to switch my data over (dual SIM phone) as needed.  I'll have to think about it going forward.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

LenK

@srlawren wrote:

@LenK good luck in your search for cheaper rates for data.  Hint: you may want to have a look here for some fairly appealing plans: https://www.zoomerwireless.ca/promotion_offer/data-bonus-offer.  

A little more on that.

I do not have a need for very many calls using a cellular phone, being a retired old fart. A couple of years ago I started trying Wi-Fi calling apps. In order to do that, I piggybacked a "tablet" plan onto my wife's cellular account with Fido and using the SIM card in my phone. 2 gigabytes for $15 a month.  Even though it is called a tablet plan and is intended for data only, I discovered on initial use that calling and messaging was possible, but with a very heavy surcharge. Just another way of gouging the public, I thought.

When I discovered Public Mobile and the 50/50 plan, that seemed ideal, because the Wi-Fi calling apps were not always reliable. Later, I decided to cancel the Fido data subscription. When I called to do so, they offered me an extension of 2 years for free. Obviously I couldn't refuse. From my own experience and that of others, it seems that almost any carrier will offer a "special" deal when a client requests a cancellation.

I decided to continue with the PM 50/50 because it was a minimal expense, but then I found another Wi-Fi calling app that is much better than any other I tried, TextNow. It offers Wi-Fi calling in Canada and the US, and plans to use data for calling, but only in the United States, so for some time I used it for calling only with Wi-Fi, including using their web interface on a Chromebook. A year ago I was in Bogota, Colombia, and was looking at posts on a forum about TextNow. One person said that it was too bad it didn't work over data in Canada, to which another person replied that he had tried it and it does. I tried it using my Colombian data plan to call a Canadian number and it worked!

Canada has by far some of the highest internet and cellular charges. In Colombia I get unlimited SMS and national calling, free Facebook, WhatsApp, and Instagram, plus a reasonable amount of data for about 40 cents a day. It may not be a completely fair comparison, but I think you will agree that the difference is substantial. 

(I guess this turned out to be a lot more on that - thanks for listening Smiley Happy)

LenK

Thanks for the link. Had a peek. Looking promising.

@srlawren wrote:

@LenK good luck in your search for cheaper rates for data.  Hint: you may want to have a look here for some fairly appealing plans: https://www.zoomerwireless.ca/promotion_offer/data-bonus-offer.  

I assume that this can be taken as hinting to Public Mobile that they don't always have the best prices and that others are offering full LTE service for less, despite having call centre customer service.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

LenK

I just responded to the request to complete the survey. I did not provide an opportunity for me to express the real reason that I left.

I left public mobile some time ago not only because I was leaving Canada for 4 months, but mainly because of the expensive rates for data. When I return in May, I will search for a plan that meets my needs.

ky01
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
Most likely just a regular e-mail that gets sent out to users that have their accounts in the suspended state. But if you are worried, you can always send a message to the moderators to confirm.
Need Help? Let's chat.