cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I got a solicited call from Koodo? Is that even Legal?

jstnbrks87
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So Koodo called me this afternoon and left a message about porting the $40 for 4gb a month plan. Everyone knows the news with that already but my question is if this is illegal? I know they are all run by Telus but still being different companies it appears in violation of the confidentiality section of Ontario's Consumer Protection Act for them to share my name, number and information on my phone plan with Koodo. As well they are giving out false information that my rate plan will increase if I don't switch as Public Mobile has already retracted the price hike. I plan on calling up Consumer Protection Ontario and Koodo tomorrow to figure out what's going on but to me as a customer It really doesn't sit right that Koodo is making these cold calls. Anyone (Mods mostly) have any input on this? 

11 REPLIES 11

Vickel
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Got a call yesterday from koodo store

They left a voice message but sounds like they were reading off a script

PhoneSeeker

@MK78wrote:

I didn't get any calls this time around, but I did maybe 6 months ago, when Koodo was trying to poach PM  customers with a $50/5gb offer.

I didn't take it.

Same here. Didn't get a call this time, but I got a call a few months ago. I let it go to voicemail.

MK78

I didn't get any calls this time around, but I did maybe 6 months ago, when Koodo was trying to poach PM  customers with a $50/5gb offer.

I didn't take it.

anickdes

They had nothing better than here to offer.

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

If they call they are hungry for your business. Ask what else they can provide/throw in for you...

anickdes

Got not 1, but 3 calls from koodo, + textos...

@canucks4life understand they can remove your from that specific list, but next time someone runs a new list you will still show up

You need to opt out to get removed from everything

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@jstnbrks87, I wish I got a call from one of these unscrupulous agents.  I would play the game and give them a dose of alternate facts.  I would make something up about being offered additional perks for migrating and put the guy on the spot to confirming it is still available.  Of course he won't be able to.  That is when you tell him, no bonus offers, no migration.  See what the guy says then. 

canucks4life
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I got a call as well from a local Koodo dealer but told him that I already accepted the offer and he politely apologized and removed my number from their call list.

jstnbrks87

Thanks for the info! I'll have to look into opting out of that because I definitely don't like the cold calls.

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

No

It is in the terms that signing up with Public will share info and consent to other Telus brands UNLESS you OPT OUT

That's the key

You need to TELL them NOT to share your info 

Need Help? Let's chat.