cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I don't know why but my phone is blacklisted

H_omar
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Public mobile blacklisted my phone for some reason and now no matter what SIM card I put in I can't make any calls. My phone isn't lost or stolen, I've had it for three years and I've only been having this issue since a week ago. What can I do to make Public mobile remove my phone from the blacklist?

16 REPLIES 16

@phynes77 

You can't. Only the original owner or the original account holder that the phone was first registered for service. If you still have the contact info for the seller try them. It's either a mistake or they sold you a stolen phone or a phone that wasn't paid in full before the end of the contract.

phynes77
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

A while back I purchased a Samsung galaxy S6 from a guy and the phone worked for about 6 months and then suddenly stopped working. It says it is not registered on the network. I checked the device online to see if it was  blacklisted and it is.  How do I reverse the blacklisting to use my phone ?

@H_omar 

I hope it all works out for you!

H_omar

Thank you so much for your help! I'm definitely going to do all of that. Thank you.

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@H_omar 

It’s the same as buying a stolen phone off a used buy and sell site. You may be the new owner, but the original owner can report it stolen.

@H_omar 

Oh boy. Yes the issue could be your brother. He either was able to report it as stolen thru his job place or the company has reported it was stolen. That would require a police report being filed. Unless your brother stole the phone from work then he has reported it stolen.

This opens a whole world of trouble for him as he has filed a fake police report. Gather as much info as possible about the source. If it is your brother then kindly suggest to him that he gets it unblacklisted by saying he made an error.

If he refuses then tell him your only other option is to report to the police the history of the phone and that he knew it was your phone and you have had possession of it the entire time. Even if he wants to claim he owns it he has still lied to the police about its whereabouts. This in itself is a crime. The police do not look kindly on people wasting their time for their own vendetta and will likely charge him.

Best of luck. Sorry for your family troubles. Hopefully he makes the right choice and in time you will forgive him. It will take up to 72 hours for a phone to be taken off the blacklist.

H_omar

Yes I checked. It's still on he blacklist. I contacted an agent on the community I'm waiting for their response. Hopefully we'll see if Public mobile made it or someone else. 

Yes, before I used to have a phone number with Public mobile I think, or Koodo that my brother would pay the bill for. It was technically under my name but he paid for it. He also had a number with the same company so yes it was a shared account. But my new phone number with Public Mobile is not under a shared account with him.

Do you think it's possible that since he bought me the phone, he later it as stolen? We're having a bit of a tiff at the moment and this could be his way of getting me back. Sorry I know this is personal information but I really am confused as to why my phone is reported as stolen.

He did buy it for me but it's my phone now. I wonder what kind of process he had to go through to be allowed to call MY phone stolen. Since I own this phone technically only I should weird that kind of power.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@H_omar 

that company black it and your brother can make a call to that company to take from them blacklisted and you give IMEI number ... to clean it up. no one can do it only that company will fix it for you...

@H_omar 

Ok so double check again thru the link posted earlier. Then contact customer support to find out the source. If it was the company your brother worked for you can investigate thru them and your brother. If its any other source ie bell, rogers,an insurance company etc...then you know it's an error.

Has your phone ever had service with a different provider or been on a shared account that has not been in your name?

H_omar

My brother works for a company called Mobile Centrix and he bought me the phone through them on a discount three years ago. 

I'm sure it was blacklisted because I went to Koodo to get a new SIM thinking the problem was just the card, and then he out the IEM number through some website and found out it was blacklisted.

@H_omar 

Confirm that your phone is blacklisted. If you are the original owner contact customer support to see if the blacklisting was made in error (ie. typo) and see if it can be removed and/or find the source of the blacklister and go from there.

@H_omar 

Are you sure that your phone is blacklisted?

Did you check on the website:

https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/

Public mobile does not put phones on blacklist usually, since until recently, it does not sell phones.  

Where did you purchase your phone?  brand new versus used?  Kijiji?  

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@H_omar 

Unless your device was purchased NEW, there really is no guarantee that it's not a device that was possibly either once lost or stolen or unpaid with the original supplier.

Even if it's one you may have gotten from a friend or family member, unless THEY know the history/origin of the device, you're rolling the dice with a used device.

If the original owner cannot be located/contacted, sometimes you're able to 'negotiate' with the company who blacklisted it towards a solution - give it a shot.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@H_omar 

from where you getting your device , when you buy it from which store...

H_omar

No way... It's my phone. Why would I return it? I have so many images on here that I'd have to transfer somewhere else and I can't afford to buy another phone right now.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@H_omar 

from where you buy it that device you have to return...

Need Help? Let's chat.