cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't receive phone calls - New Activation - Number Porting issue?

crystalgerard44
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

I've activate a new sim card last night.  I'm porting my number from anothe provider.

How do I get help with this?  Obviously there's a problem.  I can make outgoing phone calls and send / receive txt messages just fine.  I cannot receive incoming phone calls.  People calling me seem to get my previous provider message service.

Help!

Thanks in advance

9 REPLIES 9

TheOldVR
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Randy3 wrote:

The porting can take up to 2 hours to complete.  Also try turning off the cell phone completely, and turn back on.  Often this helps reset the phone to the new network.

Agreed - patience is our friend... contact the MODs if things don't start working soon.

Good luck!

Randy3
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

The porting can take up to 2 hours to complete.  Also try turning off the cell phone completely, and turn back on.  Often this helps reset the phone to the new network.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

i assume you are porting from another mobile provider.. try to reboot that phone to "release" that number from them..

Dogbert
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

It's obvious that your number has nott fully ported.

I've seen it take upto 48 hours for certain service provides to release for porting.

s1000
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Sometimes it takes a while to port. Mine ported almost immediately (1hr)... but it took my wife over 24hrs... she activated on sat night (during free month promo) at at walmart but it wasnt ported until monday morning. Definately message the moderator in the community.

@crystalgerard44 wrote:

Hello,

I've activate a new sim card last night.  I'm porting my number from anothe provider.

How do I get help with this?  Obviously there's a problem.  I can make outgoing phone calls and send / receive txt messages just fine.  I cannot receive incoming phone calls.  People calling me seem to get my previous provider message service.

Help!

Thanks in advance

That fact that calls are going to your old provider itself isn't a problem.  In fact, that's how things are suppsoed to happen until the phone number transfer completes.

Is the phone number coming from another wireless carrier, or is it coming from a landline/VoIP provider?  If it's from the latter type, these types of transfers can take a few days (2 business days according to CWTA). Transfers from one wireless carriers to another are supposed to be done within 2.5 hours.

The problem here is if you are coming from another carrier, this transfer is overdue to be complete since the request was made last nigh, and likely means that the request has failed.

If you are in fact moving your number from another wireless carrier, make sure that you have your account number for that carrier  (if it's Speakout or Petro Canada, make sure you have the IMEI and account PIN).  As suggested earlier, contact Public Mobile's moderators and have them submit another transfer request.

nathana19
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I had to reboot my iphone after i activated.  I had the same issue.

Dunkgirl
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@crystalgerard44 wrote:

Hello,

Help!

Thanks in advance

Last night, where did you port from? If it was another cell phone carrier and not a voip / land line service it has probably failed or is stuck. It might still process but if it was me I would

send a private message to the public mobile moderator team. Click this to message them.

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@crystalgerard44 wrote:

Hello,

Help!

Thanks in advance

@crystalgerard44 

If you just ported, it takes some time, every hour or so remove your battery / restart your phone. It can take time on your first port over and there can be weird issues for a short period of time.

But the best plan is you should also be able to stick your old sim card in and still works, keep using it until it stops working, then your new public mobile sim should have incoming calls working. 

If the issue continues for more than 24 hours you may have a partially completed port but most often ports just take a bit longer. One of the moderators can take a look, see if they need to do something to move it along.  Click this to send them a message they will get back to you asoon as they can between Monday-Friday 8am-12am (EDT) and Satuday-Sunday 8AM-10PM (EDT) and its usually within 48 hours, lately much faster.

For more information about contacting a moderator Click Here

Need Help? Let's chat.