cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't dial specific local numbers without dialing 1 first

fava-bean
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

I recently, probably within the last week, have been unable to dial certain phone numbers. One particular 647 number that I have dialed in to every weekday since July has stopped working. The message I hear is "Public Mobile here. Sorry, talk is not included in your current plan, etc."

Province-wide talk is included in my plan and if I dial 1 then the number, it works fine.

Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Thanks in advance!

8 REPLIES 8

Even if the area code number is the same, it does not immediately make it a local call.

Example.  Windsor ON is in the 519 (226, and whatever the new one is, I keep forgetting), and so is Cambridge, ON.  This is a "long distance call".  It is included as a no charge call in a Province-wide plan.  Just because it's no charge, doesn't make it local.

The typical notice I hear if I don't do a '+1' before the number, is the one that says 'long distance charges may apply', but the call goes through anyways (and there is no charge).

I've had newly assigned numbers in the 226 area code added in recent years, which I need to call from my 226 number, and they're in different 'exchanges' within the same calling centre.  These have needed to be given to the Moderators for updates to be made on the back end.  These ones, whether or not I include the +1 do not complete.  They are considered, a local call, but Public Mobile doesn't have 'local calling plans'.

fava-bean

I had my husband call the number from his phone, which has the same PM plan as mine. He was able to dial the number and have the call connect without dialing 1 before.

I will try to message the mods and see if they can help.  Thank you!

fava-bean

I don't seem to have that setting on my phone. I'll do some Googling and see if I can find it.  Thank you!

fava-bean

In the meantime, I will do that. Ultimately, I'd like to see if it is something that can be fixed.

@ninizinzu wrote:

Just go to call settings and uncheck ASSISTED CALLING. This worked for me.

Interesting.  I have 1 added to some of my contacts, most don't have it.  I have assisted dialing on and for home country, +1 is appended automatically which means having 1 added to contacts is extraneous.  This is using stock android dialer. 

ninizinzu
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Just go to call settings and uncheck ASSISTED CALLING. This worked for me.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@fava-bean wrote:

Hello,

I recently, probably within the last week, have been unable to dial certain phone numbers. One particular 647 number that I have dialed in to every weekday since July has stopped working. The message I hear is "Public Mobile here. Sorry, talk is not included in your current plan, etc."

Province-wide talk is included in my plan and if I dial 1 then the number, it works fine.

Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Thanks in advance!

I am wondering if the switching has been changed on that number.  When you add the 1 is it using a long distance addon or is the call just going through like normal?  I input all contacts in my phone with a 1 in front of the number because even with Province wide calling if it is a long distance call from a land line I would need it anyway.  You can contact the mods and maybe they can look deeper into this for, estimated response time is 48 hours.

To send a private message to a moderator click this link.
In your message please include:
    • PM Phone Number
    • 4 digit PIN (if you don't remember this then they will need at least 3 of the following to verify your identity)
      • account number
      • date of birth
      • complete address listed on account with postal code
      • email address on account
      • most commonly called numbers
      • alternate number listed on the account
      • last payment date and amount
      • last 4 digits of the credit card
    • Detailed explanation
Community Moderators are available from Monday-Friday 9am(Eastern) to 9pm(Eastern) and Saturday, and Sunday from 9am(Eastern) to 7:30pm(Eastern)

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

KMG
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

It is a system glitch.  I would just continue to dial 1 in front of the number, if that allows the call to go through.

Need Help? Let's chat.