cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Re: I bought a SIM from eBay

@timjasonOk just wanted to make sure you are good on that part. So what happened with the email you used? Have you tried accessing your account with a clear browser in secret/incognito mode?

Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

yes. I used private mode on firefox. It seems everything else except account creation worked.

I did get the generic error message on the next form after my paymet details

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@timjasonThen you have to get the moderators to help you set up your account. Try accessing it again.

Highlighted
Oracle

@timjason , put in a dispute with eBay and PayPal.  This is dangerous having you account held ransom by a total stranger like this.  Lesson to everyone else contemplating going through hoops to score a cheap SIM card, beware the perils when something goes wrong.  

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@timjason wrote:

Hi,

I bought a SIM from eBay as it was cheaper and all I had to do was put in a referal code when I signed up. My signup ran into a generic error and I can't login using my creditials.

My old number has been port forwarded to public moblie and there is charge on my credit card for the plan I checked on signup.

The eBayer is holding my number and SIM hostage. I recommended so many alternatives to him such as picking up in person after paying 10 dollars, mailing in the money, or paypal transfer but he only wants eTransfer which I'm not comfortable doing since I dont know the security risk of doing so. He uses fake emails like love____@majormailprovider.com

Can an admin help me? Since Public has no customer support. I can pay for a new SIM my number needs to be portforwarded to it.

Thanks

Note: For all new potential customers it's best to avoid Ebay sellers that will activate a sim card on your behalf. Also if you decide to go that route never port in your current number by providing the Ebay seller your personal info.

It's best to go to Walmart or LD (when they have the free sim card promo) and activate your sim card there with a temporary number . Most of the time the sim card is free.

Ask for a referral here if you don't have one and provide it during your activation to get an additional one-time $10 OFF credit.

Once you register for your selfserve account then setup your number port-in yourself by using the change phone number option.

Easier, safer and cheaper way of doing things!!

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Seems some people didn't comprehend all the details, so I'll clarify:

• eBay seller provided a referral code, and the SIM card number to the buyer
  • Buyer sets up new account using the referral code and SIM card number provided by the seller
  • Seller does not ship the physical SIM to the buyer until they see the referral code used.

It's a little out of the norm, I see what the scheme is, but there's no personal account info being given to the seller. The only risk is if the seller withholds shipping the SIM card if the buyer doesn't use sellers referral code.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Nezgar wrote:

Seems some people didn't comprehend all the details, so I'll clarify:

• eBay seller provided a referral code, and the SIM card number to the buyer
  • Buyer sets up new account using the referral code and SIM card number provided by the seller
  • Seller does not ship the physical SIM to the buyer until they see the referral code used.

It's a little out of the norm, I see what the scheme is, but there's no personal account info being given to the seller. The only risk is if the seller withholds shipping the SIM card if the buyer doesn't use sellers referral code.

@Nezgar  There is a big issue if the Ebay customer (due to lack of knowledge or better judgment),  activates the card and sets up a port of his/her number at the same time and the seller doesn't deliver the sim for whatever reason.

The point is why even bother with the scheme. Not worth the hassle just go to Walmart and get a free SIM.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@geopublic wrote:

@Nezgar  There is a big issue if the Ebay customer (due to lack of knowledge or better judgment),  activates the card and sets up a port of his/her number at the same time and the seller doesn't deliver the sim for whatever reason.

The point is why even bother with the scheme. Not worth the hassle just go to Walmart and get a free SIM.

Ah yes, in the case of porting-in your number at the same time, that is definitely a security concern. Regardless, I fully agree with you this is greasy.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

SIM fraud is a real threat. All they need your unique SIM number to compromise your phone number (or rather your phone subscriber account, along with any personal or payment information attached to it) for as long as the SIM is active. They could mess you up right away, they could wait months or years.

It might not seem important, but your SIM card number is basically the key to your entire identity as a mobile subscriber.

Scams on ebay are an endless threat. But at least all they want is your money. And maybe your payment information, if they can convince you to volunteer it.

Both of these risks can be entirely avoided by purchasing SIM cards directly from the carrier or from one of the carrier's affiliated authorized retailers. A factory sealed new SIM, never used and never seen by anyone else. Chance of scam is "low" but consequences of scam are "high" (or even catastrophic), so $10 is a small price to pay, you could regret the hassles you bought just to save five bucks.

@timjason 

You can report the scam to ebay/paypal, flag the scammer, appeal for a refund. You might be able to reverse payment on paypal/bank/credit/etc. You can report the scam (with a link to this thread, and the referral code used) to PM, they might be able to assist you, they might choose to take action to shutdown the scammer's PM account(s), and they might be concerned about opportunists exploiting/devaluing their brand at the cost of PM customers.

Unfortunately, if you did a number port then I think you've probably lost the number forever.

Click here to send a Private Message to the Moderator Team

Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Like others have said.... Buy your sim card from PM or a store that sells them. When you activate it online... Use a referral code to get $10 back, which is most of the cost of the sim card. The person referring gets $1. off each month as long as your a pm customer. Every PM customer would love to share their referral code.

Need Help? Let's chat.