cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I activated last night and my phone shows 9mb of data used but PM says 250mb

wod
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

New number activated yesterday. My phone says I've used 9mb of data since yesterday.

I looked at my "Usage" in self serve and it shows 3mb of data used. I average about 300mb per month on my old carrier. In the Plan Details section it shows I have no data available (it's not listed).

I have not used this phone or this number outside of my house and I sit 10' from my router. There's no way I've used 250mb of cellular data already. I don't get it.

I submitted a ticket but this is a bad start to this service considering I have to wait until monday to hear back.

24 REPLIES 24

@Nezgar 

I was kind of hoping pm had messed up the coding when they brought back the $15 plan....alas they only messed up the wording in self serve.

@darlicious wrote:

The 250mb autopay bonus for the $15 plan is supposed to be coded to the plan.

Well thanks for catching that one! I recall testing removing autopay in the past and the $2 was immediately removed from the overview page. I thought the 250MB went with it, but I just tested again and indeed the 250mb remains. 👍

RosieR
Mayor / Maire

@wod wrote:

You're right it's used up. I don't know how or why.

Page2 of usage shows 244mb usage at 340pm.

Edit. So it happened when I set up the phone when transferring from my prev. device. I signed into wifi during setup but I guess something went wrong.

It's fine.. I have my other phone plan for another month.

Thank you everyone!

Hi @wod this had happened to me too on my first month.  I thought I was connected to WIFI but I wasn't.  lol  good for you that you have another phone to use.  

Just so you know, you can buy data add-ons to supplement your limited data

- 250 mb for $5

- 1gb for $15

The good thing about add-ons is that they rollover to the next cycle until fully consumed.

Welcome to Public Mobile

RosieR

@darlicious wrote:

@HALIMACS 

If you don't use any data in a 12 hour block of time there will be no update.

That makes sense @darlicious - probably just coincidental that I've only seen them as the last line entry form one day to the next.

Perhaps the user accounts I'm looking at are mostly Wi-Fi 'ing it from morning til early afternoon.

@wod 

If you choose to purchase the $15/1gb add on so you have access to mobile data for the remainder of your 30 day cycle it will roll over every 30 days and remain on your account until completely consumed supplementing your 250mb of plan data if you run out near the end of your 30 day cycle.

wod

I know exactly what happened now.

I was transferring from an old iphone to a new/reset one. During the setup of the new phone I connected to my phone wifi, but the first transfer attempt failed and I was prompted to reset my new phone again. On the second transfer attempt I don't think I entered my home wifi, so the transfer occurred over cell data. I remember assuming that the new phone would first copy the wifi information or prompt me to use data but I was wrong about that.

@HALIMACS 

If you don't use any data in a 12 hour block of time there will be no update.

@Anonymous wrote:

@wod : Unfortunately, that usage detail is delayed. It registered at 3:42 but it could have been anytime in the prior 12 or so hours.

Does data usage populate once or twice daily, @Anonymous ?   

I've heard some say twice a day, however I've only witnessed it populate once between midnight and 3AM.

Does this vary by user/location?

@wod 

Data usage in the daily usage pages is updated in 12 hour blocks twice a day. The time it is updated in your usage is not reflective of the time it was used. Check your app data usage to determine what used what....while your in there turn off all background data and enable your data tracker, warning and limiter to avoid this kind of usage in future.

I can also take up to 72 hours for your data to throttle down 3mbps. You didn't do a data speed test did you? That will use all of your data in one test at full speed 4G LTE.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@wod : Unfortunately, that usage detail is delayed. It registered at 3:42 but it could have been anytime in the prior 12 or so hours.

@wod wrote:

Page2 of usage shows 244mb usage at 340am. Only problem is that the phone was off overnight.

The usage history shows usage consumed from the prior day.   That's when the information gets uploaded onto usage site.  (varies by time zone)

It doesn't mean that it was used at (or around) that particular time so phone on or off wouldn't mater.

wod

Edit. Thanks for your help everyone. I'm impressed how responsive this community is.

I believe the data usage occurred when I set up the phone and was my fault.

@wod

Click on "view my usage" link in the "My Plan" section for confirmation that data usage was in fact used according to PM's accounting system or not...

EDIT: nevermind I see now you posted already confirming 244MB used here......

Anonymous
Not applicable

@wod : I think it's common with inserting new service into phones that they do a whole bunch of new service sync-ing with everything. 250mb data isn't a whole lot. But yes you've used your initial bucket of data.

wod

Page2 of usage shows 244mb usage at 340pm.

Edit. So it happened when I set up the phone when transferring from my prev. device. I signed into wifi during setup but I guess something went wrong.

It's fine.. I have my other phone plan for another month.

Thank you everyone!

Hi @wod 

I would contact the moderators.

Seems unlikely you consumed 250 MB in one day.  Perhaps they can help to clarify

To contact a moderator, there are 2 methods:

1. Use the ticketing system for a faster response time. Click here and type moderator, then select contact us, then select you need a human now.  Follow the prompts to submit a ticket,  or, 
  2. Send a private message to the moderator by clicking here  You’ll need to be logged into your Community account for the link to work.

Watch for their response in your Community private mailbox which will be indicated by a number on the small envelope icon to the left of your Community avatar.

@Nezgar 

The 250mb autopay bonus for the $15 plan is supposed to be coded to the plan. If the new plan has not been coded properly that would make it without autopay eligible for full speed 4G LTE data when purchasing data add ons.

@wod 

If you do not not have autopay do not register for it yet so we can determine if pm has made a coding mistake. 5mb of the 9mb showing consumed is normal "ghost" usage when mobile data is enabled. If you toggle airplane mode on/off with mobile data off it will reset that amount in your account. If you have a new phone the other data is probably from a weird little app thingy related to your photos app that i cannot remember the name of but consumes tiny amounts of data when sending picture texts.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@wod wrote:

Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 4.20.35 PM.png
Thanks for the fast replies

@wod  so did you have an addon? Because you are are the $15 plan and I see no data left, so it looks like you used up all your 250mb.

wod

Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 4.20.35 PM.png
Thanks for the fast replies

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@wod  good news is, you might get a reply quick.  Mod works on the weekend too  🙂

Not sure about why there might be a "data leak" but the information shown usually is accurately.    I would say monitor for another day and see.  Also, the new phone OS has "Smart Network Switch" to switch between wifi and mobile data.  I usually just turn off data when I am home just in case.   

Also, any chance you were test data speed using those app like Speedtest.net?  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Nezgar : Unless it's been recently fixed (I doubt it) the 250mb shows up anyway. It's hard-coded to the plan.

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@wod 

You need to activate auto-pay to get the 250MB data on the $15 plan. Maybe the 9MB is just from initial provisioning, or maybe MMS, which will still work without data.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@wod : Please post a screenshot of your overview page. Blank out personal info of course.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@wod wrote:

New number activated yesterday. My phone says I've used 9mb of data since yesterday.

I looked at my "Usage" in self serve and it shows 3mb of data used. I average about 300mb per month on my old carrier. In the Plan Details section it shows I have no data available (it's not listed).

I have not used this phone or this number outside of my house and I sit 10' from my router. There's no way I've used 250mb of cellular data already. I don't get it.

I submitted a ticket but this is a bad start to this service considering I have to wait until monday to hear back.

@wod ,

Go by what is showing used/left on your Overview tab in your Self Serve account, this is the most accurate.

If you are going by your phone/device that could be set at a different start date.

Need Help? Let's chat.