cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to go right to the first unread post?

kelvarnsen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Is there a way to make it so that whe  you click on a link for a forum thread it automatically goes to your first unread post? Other forums can do this, but for example if on the main forum page I click on the first announcement post about the free bonus data, it always takes me to page number 1 of the thread. Is there a way to fix this?

6 REPLIES 6

@kelvarnsen wrote:

Is there a way to make it so that whe  you click on a link for a forum thread it automatically goes to your first unread post? Other forums can do this, but for example if on the main forum page I click on the first announcement post about the free bonus data, it always takes me to page number 1 of the thread. Is there a way to fix this?

That is actually already done for you, at least to the extent that it takes you to the same page as the first unread message.

However, this is something that you should know about this Community website forum.  By default, it marks all messages as read any time you log out.  That means that the thread messages only get shown as unread if there are new messages since your last login.

To change this setting, click on your Avatar and then go to My Settings. Then, go to Preferences, and General.  Tell the Community website to only mark messages as read 'When I read them".  Save the setting.

After logging out and logging back in, you'll see that not everything was marked as read on you.  If you want to go to page of the first unread message in a thread, don't click on any individual thread or messages in the recent posts or latest topics sections.  Open each category up (ie. Getting started, Discussions, Annoucements, etc.) and you'll notice that some thread titles will be in bold.  This means that there are unread messages in that thraed.  Don't click on the page numbers, but rather the thread title itself.  You'll be taken to the same page as the next unread message.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@kelvarnsen 

You can subscribe to a thread by clicking the "Topic Options" button just about the OP post of a thread.  When someone reply to your subscribed thread, you will get a notification at the alarm bell icon at the top right.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@kelvarnsen 

I don't think that is not possible on this forum.

You can get to the last post of a thread by clicking time link of a thread.

This is not exactly what you want.  But you can read from the last post backward.

Gotcha. I understand what you're looking for now. I'm not sure sorry. Maybe someone more experienced with these forums will chime in but doubt these forums have said option

kelvarnsen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

But that is not quite what I am looking for since that just changes the order so I start with the last page instead of the first. What i am thinking of is that say a thread has 8 pages, but last time I read it, it only had 6 pages, whe  I click on the link I want it to go right to page 6. So i can pick up where i left off as it were.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Once you're in a thread you can click topic options and change sort function to "Sort newest to oldest"

Need Help? Let's chat.