cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to disable voicemail?

plynndy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, I'm new with public mobile. I realized that voicemail was setup automatically, is there a way to disable voicemail?

14 REPLIES 14

barndoor
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Anonymous 

I understand where you are coming from  but isn't it  about giving the choices that fit for the customer . Myself ...most of the time I hate voicemail ..a lot of times calls are time sensitive and a lot of people don't check them in a timely fashion so its better if the phone rings  a bit   till it gets answered .  Obviously that is not your preference and that is good .

This is the first company that I have been with that has not had an easily accessible option to disable the voicemail .

Anonymous
Not applicable

@plynndy : Thanks for the reply. hmm I wonder if the initial setup might only work with land lines or cellphones and not voip lines.

But they could certainly have changed it to not work that way anymore. It used to.

If you're fine with callers just ending in a busy signal then ok. Last I tried those methods I got errors.

Edit: I tried it. Yup. Fast busy. I still don't like it for the sake of legit callers wondering what's happened to your number. But if that's good for you then it's all good.

plynndy

@Anonymous 

I disabled it and after the normal dial tone, it just became a busy dial tone, which is totally fine. No error. Nobody really gets me on my phone anyways with my limited minutes...they're usually texting/emailing/whatsapping. So I'm ok with it.

I had not initially set up voicemail through my public mobile number and tried your suggested method -- reset voicemail password through self serve, then called from a google phone number. It just said to use my public phone number to setup my voicemail then hung up on me.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@plynndy : Now try calling it from another phone. You'll get an error. Do you want legit callers to wonder what's up with your number?

So you say you reset the voicemail password in the self-serve and then called from another phone and it did _not_ do all the initial set up stuff? That would be a new thing then. If you had already done the initial set up then ...of course.

plynndy

@barndoor 

Thanks for mentioning it. Did more searching within the community and found this solution:
Solved: Re: How to disable voicemail? - Community (publicmobile.ca)

To set, dial: *004*8080000000#
To reset to default, dial: #004#

barndoor
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@plynndy 

You can disable it  ...you just need the right person here to give you the code to put in . 

I did it a month ago ...I just didn't right down the number. 

plynndy

Wouldn't work...initial setup needs to be from public mobile phone number itself

Anonymous
Not applicable

@plynndy : Here's another tip. Log in to the self-serve and use the Reset Voicemail Password function. That resets it to your 10 digit number. Now you can do initial set up on that different phone (or voip app) too rather than having to use minutes.

plynndy

Thank you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@plynndy : Call your number. When your recording starts, press the * key and then type in your code and you'll be in your voicemail.

plynndy

How do I go about using other phones to access my voicemails?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@plynndy : That is correct. But you can also use any other phone to check those messages. Or use a voip app on wifi or mobile data.

plynndy

My understanding is that accessing messages left in voicemail would use up my outgoing minutes?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@plynndy : There's no way to disable it. All you can do is not allow callers to leave a message through the extended absence option. Why is this a concern? Are you concerned about minutes consumption? Callers calling and leaving messages doesn't use minutes.

Need Help? Let's chat.