cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to check voice message when I am outside of local province?

Jiangjun1949
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
I have a plan of province-wide unlimited call. If I am outside of my local province( Alberta) and travel to Manitoba, which number to call to check my voice message via a landline phone? And how?
Any help will be appreciated.
9 REPLIES 9

@srlawren wrote:

@Jiangjun1949 try * instead of #.

That suggestion might work. I can't remember which carrier was which but I specifically remember that most carriers use # (or was it *), but that one of the major Canadian carriers was always different and used the other symbol to log into the voice mail system.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Jiangjun1949 try * instead of #.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Jiangjun1949
On a landline I pressed # key immediately after voice mail greeting, but I am not prompted to enter password. Instead, it still asks for leaving message.

zmh1175
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Use other phone to call your phone number, wait for voice mail. then press # key. then enter password.  now you can listen to your voice messages.

TheOldVR
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@will13am wrote:

@TheOldVR wrote:

I use Fongo to check my voice messages when out of province.... it's a free call and uses just a bit of data.

Might want to try it out....

Can you use Fongo from the same phone?  Will that not ring the dialer?  Anyway, if Fongo works, then pretty much any app that allows phone calls would also work.  I like using hangouts for phone calls myself because I also use it for messaging.

Agreed, any VOIP dialer will work.... honestly, I never took the time to figure out hangouts for local Canadian dialing so I have just stuck with Fongo.

My iPhone does show the incoming call from Fongo (on the same phone) which I ignore, interestingly my Android phone ignores the call automatically. Good news is that it works though and uses very little data.

skidoomaster

@will13am Yes fongo would work the same way and yes you can do it from the same phone. If it does ring your public mobile number, just decline the call and access your voicemail from fongo. Give it a try right now. This however would not happen if you were outside your home province because you cannot receive incoming calls outside your province without a long distance add on. 

Hope this helps. 

@TheOldVR wrote:

I use Fongo to check my voice messages when out of province.... it's a free call and uses just a bit of data.

Can you use Fongo from the same phone?  Will that not ring the dialer?  Anyway, if Fongo works, then pretty much any app that allows phone calls would also work.  I like using hangouts for phone calls myself because I also use it for messaging.

TheOldVR
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

skidoomaster

Hi @Jiangjun1949,

In order to do this from a landline (or any other type of line other than your Public Mobile phone), you need to dial your Public Mobile Number and let it ring until it goes to voicemail. Once it reaches voicemail, press pound. After doing this, you will be prompted for your voicemail password. Upon entering the password, you will be able to access your voicemail service.

Hope this helps.

Need Help? Let's chat.