cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to: Change the rings/delay before going to voicemail!

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

When I was with Rogers previously, they would forward a call to voicemail after 20 seconds. I noticed with Public Mobile, calls forward to voicemail after 25 seconds. Did not appear configurable, until I stumbled upon how in some old GSM documentation, and it works with Public Mobile! It's as easy as adding two stars and the number of seconds to the usual manual *61 command.

First of all, note your current voicemail number is configured for "Conditional call forwarding when no reply" or "unanswered" for use in the new setting:

Dial *#61#

In my case, I get this response:

Result of dialing *#61#Result of dialing *#61#

Now, you can set any delay in 5 second increments up to 30 seconds, for example:

dial *61*3065804001**15#

Result of dialing *61*3065804001**15#Result of dialing *61*3065804001**15#

Great, so its now set. To confirm that your setting was committed, use the query command, and you should see the desired number of seconds, along with the target phone number:

dial *#61#

Result of dialing *#61# after new settings configuredResult of dialing *#61# after new settings configured

That's it! Now my phone won't ring nearly as long if I'm not there to answer it right away. This is equivalent to about 3 rings.

If you screw up your conditional call forward setting, you can quickly "undo" everything and revert them to Public Mobile defaults:

##61# - Revert only unanswered conditional call forward to your regular voicemail deposit #, and 25 seconds.

##004# revert all three conditional call forward settings (Busy/Declined,no answer/no reply,unreachable)

Cheers! - N.

PS: Now, only if the other method documented in the GSM for forwarding SMS messages would work.. It appears the GSM standard defined a way, but virtually no carrier actually supports it...

( * * 21 * telephone number*service number #) - service # being 16 for SMS...

5 REPLIES 5

@Nezgar  More good work. I'm glad you're a lot more curious about how this stuff works than me. You're a god send to the non phone fiddlers here making it easy to type our query in the search bar and have the answer pop up. Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Nezgar 

Thanks. Thought so.

@Anonymous wrote:

There's a guy that's been asking about making it just keep ringing for much longer than 30 seconds. I don't think there's a way. Would you agree?

Indeed, 30 seconds, is the max, and cannot be completely deprovisioned with ##61#. (With Public Mobile, this just sets the default voicemail # again, at 25 seconds)

@Anonymous  I wonder if you change the 15 to 180...if it would ring for 3 minutes?

Anonymous
Not applicable

There's a guy that's been asking about making it just keep ringing for much longer than 30 seconds. I don't think there's a way. Would you agree?

Need Help? Let's chat.