cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How reliable is the Public Mobile network?

bluetide76
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

This carrier seems pretty new and I am getting reports of the network being a copy of Telus'. Is there any official webpage or document that says so? If not how are people arriving at that conclusion?

21 REPLIES 21

Watoko
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I was with Koodo for 6 years which is owned by Telus and uses all of Telus' networks and I had no problems at all. Never a dropped call, blazing fast LTE and just overall reception everywhere.

Since PM is also now owned by Telus and uses their network, I would expect the same, and so far I am not disappointed. Data is still blazing fast, no loss in call quality, and I get the same reception everywhere I go. The only difference: PM is significantly cheaper than Koodo, and pricing is miles away from Telus plans.

Rest assured, I think PM will be a very reliable carrier to go with 🙂

jagpalmalik55
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I am living in Winnipeg MB. I joined PM recently. Friends, sincerely speaking, If I would not have my work phone (which is with MTS having Manitoba wide coverage), I would never have joined PM because in Manitoba PM is only for those who live in Winnipeg or in its visvinity. In rest of Manitoba PM does not have any coverage

But I joined PM because someday I will go back to my hometown, Mississauga and because PM has nationwide coverage, mostly with 4G LTE network, cost effective and and fully owned and operated by a reputed company like TELUS. In the long run, I am hoping that I will find PM as my best bet.

Public signal and service should be just as reliable as Telus's.  Every network has it's strong area and weaker geographical areas.

Akrams
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
Im in Ottawa and have had Rogers fido wind and now public mobile.
Depending on tower location you're covered by the Telus towers. I downloaded the Tower Locator app and found where the telus ones are just to get a better idea.

So far I've found the PM network to be just as strong as Rogers in most of my areas, unfortunately foe me the are in Kanata im in is just a little weak no matter which provider i go with.

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hi @jchlo!

Basically if you are in southern Manitoba then you will have excellent coverage.  However, if you live in the northern Manitoba or frequently go there, then PM is not for you.

Take a look at the PM network coverage map:  https://publicmobile.ca/en/on/coverage

jchlo
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

How is the Manitoba converage?

deltatux
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@bilal wrote:
This makes me wonder what my Note 3 is using on LTE these days. 😉 Although, I keep it on HSPA for full 5 bar coverage all across GTA. (although, it drops a bit near 401/mavis). But no issues with service and voice quality.

@bilal, LTE is served by the 700 MHz band and the AWS band. The LTE network was originally built on AWS before deployed on the 700 MHz band after the auction.

bilal
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
This makes me wonder what my Note 3 is using on LTE these days. 😉 Although, I keep it on HSPA for full 5 bar coverage all across GTA. (although, it drops a bit near 401/mavis). But no issues with service and voice quality.

deltatux

@Rockdaddy22 wrote:
I should've mentioned, I'm using an iPhone 5s.

I have a question to you guys who know more about the network. Should/could I expect a better signal when I get my iPhone 6s next week?

@Rockdaddy22, unless they used a newer Qualcomm LTE modem & better antennae, I doubt you'll see a difference. To be quite honest, you can't go wrong in terms of stability on the Big 3 carrier networks. Public Mobile is owned & operated by TELUS, so you'll get the same stable network as Bell/TELUS customers (both companies share towers).

Also, there really isn't much of a difference these days since most phones have really good industrial design and run Qualcomm LTE chipsets (hurray for near monopolies), I think @makkahn28 is just finding a chance to boast how happy he is with his new phone is all. My OnePlus One runs very well on the TELUS network.

Rockdaddy22
I should've mentioned, I'm using an iPhone 5s.

I have a question to you guys who know more about the network. Should/could I expect a better signal when I get my iPhone 6s next week?

ALSO, depends on Device too.

My Alcatel One touch Idol 3. 5.5 In Device is kicking Butt, and full of LTE Bars and 700 MHZ reasons why PM Wynns

Rockdaddy22
In my area L0G 1W0 I get an amazing signal with PM compared to Rogers/Fido and also Wind.
Last night I was getting 5 bars of LTE on Public Mobile compared to no service, edge or 1 bar of 3G on Rogers/Fido.

chukdefatey

@bluetide76 wrote:

This carrier seems pretty new and I am getting reports of the network being a copy of Telus'. Is there any official webpage or document that says so? If not how are people arriving at that conclusion?

If you didn't hear about the carrier that doesn't mean it's new. Also being bought by Telus was in the media & the Government had to approve it. So if you didn't know this and just heard about it then I suggest Google.ca or Bing.com for official documents.  So that way you can come to your own conclusion.  

FYI OP, When PM sold to Telus it had more subscribers then Mobilicity, so like I said before if you didn't hear about it that doesn't mean it didn't exist. 

chukdefatey

That's because PM has a 'non refundable prepaid credit' term on the agreement. 

Like I said before its not just PM that has non refundable Prepaid credits.  It's every National , Regional & the new start ups that have this.  As a matter of fact all Major US carrier are the same.  

So please stop this mis information that you are putting out on the internet. I know you don't like my answer, I highly suggest you read the terms & conditions of all the Providers I mentioned and you will see that every provider Prepaid credits are non refundable

vrance

Hi sorry, I mean Wind compare with the big 3.  I know Wind is a standalone company.  Thanks for the clarification.

deltatux

@vrance wrote:

Hi Koodo and Public Mobile are subsidiaries of Telus, and use the same network.  Bell and Telus share the same towers since one is from the West coast and the other one is from the East coast.  I have used Rogers, which the tower is not the same as Telus/Bell.  It depends on the location and one is better than the other, or vice versa.  I also tried Wind in Vancouver, BC, which is the worst among the Big 3 and subsidiaries. 

@vrance, WIND Mobile is not an MVNO, subsidiary or related to the Big 3 in any way. They are a small regional independent carrier that own and operate their own network. They've had only 8 years to build their network so far compared to over 20 years for the Big 3 so it will take time before they'll catch up within their region.

kitwithbell
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@bluetide76 It depends on where you're, what you've gotten as your device, and what you expect. I had not good experience with PM by now.  But, people here get to have interest in my case. I am appreciating for that. I will tell you based on my experience and feeling, and will give some advice with PM.

My case is

---------------

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-2-no-service-after-a...

---------------

I like their plan, which is flexible and cusomizing available. But, they are saying it's beta service. As a customer, you need to remind of it. It's good for your mental health not to expect a lot of customer care. If you think of that kind of plan attractive like me, It's better to experience PM first with the small amount subscription and please check out if it fits to your needs.That's because PM has a 'non refundable prepaid credit' term on the agreement. I recomend you to read first @Luddite Whack-a-Mole-Activation 

---------------

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Whack-a-Mole-Activation/m-p/28410

---------------

vrance

Hi Koodo and Public Mobile are subsidiaries of Telus, and use the same network.  Bell and Telus share the same towers since one is from the West coast and the other one is from the East coast.  I have used Rogers, which the tower is not the same as Telus/Bell.  It depends on the location and one is better than the other, or vice versa.  I also tried Wind in Vancouver, BC, which is the worst among the Big 3 and subsidiaries. 

imm1304

Wikipedia lists Public Mobile as a subsidiary of Telus.. an MVNO (Mobile Virtual Network Operator)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Mobile

imm1304

@bluetide76, My personal experience has been absolutely amazing in terms of reliability/coverage/LTE etc.  Was previously with Bell and so far in 3 months, I have not felt any difference in terms of reliability.  I am in Toronto.  

Public mobile was purchased by Telus and went thru a very public dismantling of old infrastructure/stores etc, followed by transfer of all customers to Telus network.  This is not a secret at all.  You can check out their coverage map here: http://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/coverage

The network coverage map will confirm for you that yes it is indeed very similar to Telus.  

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Its awesome so far for me. Yes they use Telus network so where ever Telus is available public mobile should be the same. 

Need Help? Let's chat.