cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bluetide76
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

How reliable is the Public Mobile network?

This carrier seems pretty new and I am getting reports of the network being a copy of Telus'. Is there any official webpage or document that says so? If not how are people arriving at that conclusion?

NDesai
Oracle

Re: How reliable is the Public Mobile network?

Its awesome so far for me. Yes they use Telus network so where ever Telus is available public mobile should be the same. 

New Here? - Check out Knowledge Base Articles to learn more about Public Mobile.

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@bluetide76, My personal experience has been absolutely amazing in terms of reliability/coverage/LTE etc.  Was previously with Bell and so far in 3 months, I have not felt any difference in terms of reliability.  I am in Toronto.  

Public mobile was purchased by Telus and went thru a very public dismantling of old infrastructure/stores etc, followed by transfer of all customers to Telus network.  This is not a secret at all.  You can check out their coverage map here: http://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/coverage

The network coverage map will confirm for you that yes it is indeed very similar to Telus.  

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Wikipedia lists Public Mobile as a subsidiary of Telus.. an MVNO (Mobile Virtual Network Operator)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Mobile

vrance
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi Koodo and Public Mobile are subsidiaries of Telus, and use the same network.  Bell and Telus share the same towers since one is from the West coast and the other one is from the East coast.  I have used Rogers, which the tower is not the same as Telus/Bell.  It depends on the location and one is better than the other, or vice versa.  I also tried Wind in Vancouver, BC, which is the worst among the Big 3 and subsidiaries. 

kitwithbell
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@bluetide76 It depends on where you're, what you've gotten as your device, and what you expect. I had not good experience with PM by now.  But, people here get to have interest in my case. I am appreciating for that. I will tell you based on my experience and feeling, and will give some advice with PM.

My case is

---------------

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-2-no-service-after-a...

---------------

I like their plan, which is flexible and cusomizing available. But, they are saying it's beta service. As a customer, you need to remind of it. It's good for your mental health not to expect a lot of customer care. If you think of that kind of plan attractive like me, It's better to experience PM first with the small amount subscription and please check out if it fits to your needs.That's because PM has a 'non refundable prepaid credit' term on the agreement. I recomend you to read first @Luddite Whack-a-Mole-Activation 

---------------

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Whack-a-Mole-Activation/m-p/28410

---------------

deltatux

@vrance wrote:

Hi Koodo and Public Mobile are subsidiaries of Telus, and use the same network.  Bell and Telus share the same towers since one is from the West coast and the other one is from the East coast.  I have used Rogers, which the tower is not the same as Telus/Bell.  It depends on the location and one is better than the other, or vice versa.  I also tried Wind in Vancouver, BC, which is the worst among the Big 3 and subsidiaries. 

@vrance, WIND Mobile is not an MVNO, subsidiary or related to the Big 3 in any way. They are a small regional independent carrier that own and operate their own network. They've had only 8 years to build their network so far compared to over 20 years for the Big 3 so it will take time before they'll catch up within their region.

vrance

Hi sorry, I mean Wind compare with the big 3.  I know Wind is a standalone company.  Thanks for the clarification.

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

That's because PM has a 'non refundable prepaid credit' term on the agreement. 

Like I said before its not just PM that has non refundable Prepaid credits.  It's every National , Regional & the new start ups that have this.  As a matter of fact all Major US carrier are the same.  

So please stop this mis information that you are putting out on the internet. I know you don't like my answer, I highly suggest you read the terms & conditions of all the Providers I mentioned and you will see that every provider Prepaid credits are non refundable

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@bluetide76 wrote:

This carrier seems pretty new and I am getting reports of the network being a copy of Telus'. Is there any official webpage or document that says so? If not how are people arriving at that conclusion?

If you didn't hear about the carrier that doesn't mean it's new. Also being bought by Telus was in the media & the Government had to approve it. So if you didn't know this and just heard about it then I suggest Google.ca or Bing.com for official documents.  So that way you can come to your own conclusion.  

FYI OP, When PM sold to Telus it had more subscribers then Mobilicity, so like I said before if you didn't hear about it that doesn't mean it didn't exist. 

Need Help? Let's chat.