cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long does it take to change numbers?

bmatthews
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Changing provinces. How long does it take for number change to take effect, and do i have to wait for a new SIM card first?

12 REPLIES 12

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I believe if it's a wireless number the port is pretty quick but can take a bit longer to port a landline number.. according to the CWTA anyway. 

jjsg76
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi there,

If you mean bringing your number from another carrier, or "porting" you number, it can take up to 24h as long as your number is able to be ported.  Mine didn't take long at all, maybe a half an hour.

Danitup

If your expecting important call.. I would hold if unless your old phone is active with you.. 

Make sure u provide all the information needed.. BUT I think it's possible your number can be stuck "in port" for a day or 2. 

Maybe someone with experience with this can explain more. 

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

It's taken effective immediately for me. Smiley Happy

vlako030

When I activated the SIM card at the store for my phone, the representative told me it would take about half an hour. It took more like 1:30 hours but I guess it depends. Enough time to go message the Moderator Team. Wrote in caps URGENT URGENT  URGENT because I was waiting for important calls that day and by the time I was writing it my phone was up and running. 

@Scoman20 wrote:

My new number took a matter of minutes!  And no, as long as you've already got a Public Mobile Sim, you should be fine

Shouldn't have taken minutes. Should be done as soon as sumbitted.  May require restart of phone for network to send update to sim.  New sim never required for phone number change.

Scoman20

My new number took a matter of minutes!  And no, as long as you've already got a Public Mobile Sim, you should be fine

Scoman20

My new number took a matter of minutes!

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@bmatthews wrote:

Changing provinces. How long does it take for number change to take effect, and do i have to wait for a new SIM card first?

Right away but if you want to keep old number, you do need new sim and would need new account and pay for 2 plans. If you don't care about old number, you change it anytime. After making the change, you can't get old number back.

bmatthews

Thank you very much. That's great news!

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

@bmatthews  hi if you are already with PM and just moving to another province you dont need a new sim just go into your account and change your number to a local one 

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Just login to selfserve and select plans and change number. 

Should take effect right away.

Need Help? Let's chat.