cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long can I postpone the service or cheapest plan to keep the number?

saiii
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Dear all

Please anyone can help me here,  got 2 questions to ask.

1: How long can i postpone the service?

2: what is the cheapest plan to keep the number in order to receive international sms. as I am going to abroad but a lot of Bank app/other accounts need to authorize login.

6 REPLIES 6

@saiii 

I have a slightly different version to @Jb456  which is useful if you have a balance in your account and/or you want to keep autopay/credit card active on your account. Just before renewal suspend your service via lost/stolen as with everyone elses advice reactivate around day 85 and get fongo.

But once you suspend your service power off your phone and remove the sim card.( This has been tested with a lost phone/sim card.) You will continue to have voicemail service by accessing it by calling it from another phone/number. You can also get phone call verification codes and access or manage your voicemail using fongo.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@saiii 

1.  If you stop paying on your next renewal date, you have 90 days to oay and reactivate you plan and keep your phone number.

2.  Where are you going?

PM has only US roaming add-on.  

For getting SMS from bank for 2FA, install Fongo app on you phone to receive SMS from Fongo app with a free number using wifi or mobile data using local SIM.  Test your bank 2FA with Fongo number before leaving Canada.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Well here's the thing.

You won't be able to receive SMS or anything abroad. PM only offers USA roaming add-ons.

You can change your plan to the $15 plan. BE SURE TO SELECT CHANGE AT NEXT RENEW. So next payment due date you will be charged for that plan.

Now you have to either go into your account and disable auto-pay. Click payment then manage auto-pay.

Screenshot_20200201_045056.jpg

Or you can dial 611 to do this as well.

Then at your next payment due date (as long as you don't have a balance higher than the plan cost) the system will not collect your payment. Your account will go into suspended status.

Your account can stay in suspended status for 90 days before the account is deleted and number is gone.

IMPORTANT Set a reminder around 85 day mark to login into your account and reactivate your $15 plan. Then your account will be in good standing and active for 30 days. When payment due date comes up again it will go to suspended status and you'll have 90 days again before loosing number. Set reminder to pay again at 85 day mark.

That's cheapest way to keep your number. If you want to simply have your service active while you're gone (again it won't work abroad and only works in USA is if you buy 10 day add-ons) plus it's $15 plan minus any rewards you have.

Before you go abroad you can download the textnow app. You'll get a Canada number in your area and you can make free calls, text to USA/Can numbers. It works anywhere in the world you are in as long as you have a wifi or data connection. It's FREE.

You can give people that number to reach you. They don't need to have the app. If you're not connected to wifi or data they can even leave you a voice so you can listen to it later when you get online.

@saiii wrote:

Dear all

Please anyone can help me here,  got 2 questions to ask.

1: How long can i postpone the service?

2: what is the cheapest plan to keep the number in order to receive international sms. as I am going to abroad but a lot of Bank app/other accounts need to authorize login.

Don't allow your account to be suspended for 90 days or the account will be closed. The $15 plan allows you to receive text messages while you're in Canada no matter where the other peson is sending it from.

Anonymous
Not applicable

If by postpone you mean suspended then 90 days. After that the account is wiped.

Public Mobile works in Canada and roaming in the US. Nowhere else.

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@saiii 

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/what-happens-when-you-miss-a-payment

What Happens When You Miss A Payment

If you miss a payment due date, your account will be put into a suspended state, meaning you will be unable to use your phone services. You will have up to 90 days to make a payment, and after doing so your payment cycle with restart and your service will resume. After 90 days, suspended accounts are permanently deactivated, which means you will:

• Lose access to your phone number, and won’t be able to transfer it to a new provider in the future.
  • Need a new Public Mobile SIM card if you decide to activate a new Public Mobile account.

It is advisable to pay on the 85th day in case there are payment problems.

Cheapest plan is $15. Your phone must be in Canada to use unlimited international texting.

Need Help? Let's chat.