cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long before you lose your phone number

ScotianGold
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

If you are out of the country and suspend or discontinue paying for your publicmobile service how long can you keep your mobile number? I plan on being out of the country for a year or two but would like to keep my cellphone number.

8 REPLIES 8

PM me for more details if you like. 
I have some more in depth explanations. I have used them for 4 years for land line. I need to check if I get charged for a call that takes voicemail. 

ScotianGold

That is very interesting and looks like a simpler option. Thank you for the info.

If you are ok with loosing rewards and add-ons you could port out to VOIP.ms. for cents a month. And you can prepay. 

All transactions are in US $'s

Porting is either free or $10. 

Then there is a DID fee of 85 cents a month. 

There would be fee for inbound calls but if you don't answer...no charge. 

BUT you could use the number on an app called Zoiper to make and receive calls over wi-fi or from a Data HotSpot. OR you could set up voicemail on it and you can have the voice mail emailed to you in mp4 format.  And you can do your own special voicemail message. 

Then port back to PM when you come back. 

@ScotianGold 

You're welcome....many do prefer short and sweet....but I have habit of writing long posts I just can't help myself I prefer to be well informed especially when an oops can result in losing your number!

Enjoy your travels!

ScotianGold

Thank you for taking the time to provide your detailed an elegant solution to my question.:)

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@ScotianGold wrote:

If you are out of the country and suspend or discontinue paying for your publicmobile service how long can you keep your mobile number? I plan on being out of the country for a year or two but would like to keep my cellphone number.

Hello @ScotianGold 

Here are some help articles regarding plan suspensions:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles?q=suspended

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles?q=suspend

@ScotianGold 

You can keep your phone number and account for about $39 per year. You can suspend your service for up to 89/90 days. On the 90th day if no payment is made before that day your account will be cancelled and deactivated and you will lose your number. It is recommended that you plan to pay and reactivate your account between day 85 and day 88 to give yourself some leeway in case you run into an issue reactivating and/or need to contact the moderators.

Basically you change your plan to the $15 plan ($13 w/autopay) either for your last montn (30 days) before leaving, scheduling a change plan on next renewal or making the an immediate plan change just before you pay to reactivate after your first 90 day suspension. I recommend you suspend your service via lost/stolen before midnight eastern on the evening before your renewal date.

By using lost/stolen you prevent the system charging your card registered for autopay and/or applying any balance in your account towards your plan amount. It also ( when suspended before midnight et) will keep your voicemail active. Any 2FA that gives you the option of voice mail verification codes will be accessible to you overseas as well as any imortant messages you may recieve.

Just call your number from another phone and press * when it connects and enter your 4 digit voicemail pin # to access your voicemail.?

Set a reminder for day 85 and day 88 as a back up to pay and reactivate your service. As long as you don't have a balance that would cover your plan amount unsuspend your account via lost/stolen. Either make an immediate plan change to the $15 plan or if you have already changed to it previously then go to the payment page and choose other amount and pay $15. Your service should reactivate  automatically upon acceptance of the payment. If not briefly suspend via lost/stolen again to force the system to take your payment and reactivate.

Then contact the moderators to apply your rewards from the last 30 day cycle that you were active. Set another reminder for 30 days to suspend your account via lost/stolen again and Repeat. You will pay $15 ( $13 w/autopay) every 120 days. 3×120=360 days  3 ×$15/$13 (w/autopay) =$45/$39 As noted you don't want to leave it to the last minute so you will get about 345 days per year to keep  your account and phone number for $39 ( 3×$15='$45-3×$2 w/autopay=$39.)

@ScotianGold wrote:

Your account will be closed if suspended for 90 days.  The number phone number would also be lost at that time.

Need Help? Let's chat.