cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How is the service outside of Ontario?

Samuel4
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I was wondering for people who travel how the service is around Canada.

10 REPLIES 10

smiley3
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Samuel4 wrote:

The Service is great in Alberta.  It is on the Telus network here, which is one of the best!

Telus service and Bell service are interchangeable, there's no network-side reason for either to be better. Subsidiaries (Koodo/Public and Virgin/Lucky) are all treated the same. If there are indeed any real differences between the many flavours of Bellus then they must be imposed by device-side limitations, some phones are configured to be very fussy and finicky.

Sheytoon's network sharing articles explain the technical details in great tehcnical detail, lol.

Rogers maintains a separate network - biggest standalone network in Canada, but not as big as Tell and Bell (and SaskTel, etc) combined. Different hase stations (cell towers) in different places.

Freedom maintains a separate network - or rather a loosely linked set of dense network clusters. Great deal (cheap) if you're always calling from a Freedom Zone to a Freedom Zone, awful deal (no coverage) anywhere else in Canada.

Canadian Cell Towers Map

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

jimbobs
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Samuel4 wrote:

In my travels across Canada, my PM service has been better than my fellow travellers who use Fido/Rogers and Virgin/Bell.  In eastern and Atlantic Canada, I've had a better signal than them.  Could be phones, etc. but it's been a pretty consistent observation.

diane_ca90
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have been in both Ontario, Quebec and Alberta and service has been great in all three provinces. As mentioned when you go high in the Rocky's to the natural parks in Banff or Jasper you may loose signal but my friends who had ROGERS and TELUS also lost connection in those places.

Bullet77
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Samuel4 Excellent coverage across the country. There's a few spots in the mountains in BC that you might lose service.

Agreed.

East of the mountains in Alberta The best Cell coverage in Canada.

@Samuel4  Excellent coverage across the country. There's a few spots in the mountains in bc that you might lose service. There's a dead zone for about a half hour after the coquihalla summit as you descend into the valley going to Merritt. So there a few of those in the mountains of bc and some up north in the territories but otherwise it's the most comprehensive in Canada.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Samuel4 wrote:

@Samuel4  Public Mobile uses the Telus/Bell network across Canada, so it's pretty good Canada wide. Smiley Happy

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

As good as or close to telus and Bell

@Samuel4 wrote:

Where abouts are you wondering about? This won't give informatin about exact locations, but Public Mobile's coverage map is a good place to start: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/coverage

Need Help? Let's chat.