cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does the US roaming works?

luanjun2004
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
If I purchase the 10 days US roaming unlimited call add on, when I make call to US number at US does it charge my minutes for another add on 200 minutes North America?
7 REPLIES 7

@smp99 wrote:

@pearls wrote:

When i purchased the $20.00 US add on and went to the US my phone never worked once i crossed the border.  I was told when i came back to Canada as Public Mobile is considered a pay as you go that my phone will never work in the US no matter what add on i use.

Hi @pearls

What exact add-on did you purchase? US Long Distance add-on or US Roaming add-on? Only the Roaming package will work while you are physically in the USA.

When did you do this? The US Roaming add-on has only bee available for about a year now. I ask this because before then, the answer you received about PM being prepaid and no add-on will work sort of makes sense.  But since PM introduced the US Roaming add-on, that would be a false statement. 

Yeah, it depends on when this was done. If it was recent than the $20 US Add-on would be the proper US Roaming add-on.

_parth23
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

The issue I believe you had was that you probably paid for the plan where you talk from Canada to the us, the plan you need in order for you to use your phone in the us is a roaming plan, that’s the only way you will be able to use your phone in the us 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@smp99 you may want to see here:  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/HOWTO-Purchasing-Add-ons/m-p/272482/hig...

@pearls the person that told you that was wrong.  The US Roaming add-ons do work.  I've used them more than a half-dozen times myself.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@pearls wrote:

When i purchased the $20.00 US add on and went to the US my phone never worked once i crossed the border.  I was told when i came back to Canada as Public Mobile is considered a pay as you go that my phone will never work in the US no matter what add on i use.

Hi @pearls

What exact add-on did you purchase? US Long Distance add-on or US Roaming add-on? Only the Roaming package will work while you are physically in the USA.

When did you do this? The US Roaming add-on has only bee available for about a year now. I ask this because before then, the answer you received about PM being prepaid and no add-on will work sort of makes sense.  But since PM introduced the US Roaming add-on, that would be a false statement. 

pearls
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@luanjun2004 just letting you know that @hirsh has given you the correct answer to your question.  Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

hirsh
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

It depends on where you are when you make the call to the US:

If you are in the US and call the US: Call will be covered by the Unlimited US calling addon

If you are in Canada and call the US: Call will count towards your 200 North American talk minutes

Need Help? Let's chat.