cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you think the future will affect us?

Mountainmaxman
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

With 5G coming out and old 3G towers being taken out of service, I wonder will Public speeds go up to 4G? And with all of the recent 'deals' being offered by others with high amounts of 4G data options this option does not seem as good of a deal as it use to be. What do you guys think will change here or will Public mobile become less used?

38 REPLIES 38

Ed404
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Not sure if you guys know about RCS (Rich Communication Services), but it's the next evolution of SMS. Key features are very similar to iMessager, such as the ability to see people typing, much higher character limit, send high resolution images, etc.

I suspect in another decade or two we'll have another improved messaging system offering even more things we haven't imagined yet! I can't wait for the future!

@kav2001c wrote:

Its not just about speed @madhi19 

You can send a TXT message on 5G

As some else mentioned above, this is not possible on 4G (which is why your phone still drops to 3G for certain tasks, like calling and texting)

I don't have information for all carriers, but I can say with certainty that text mesaging does not cause a fallback to the HSPA+ network at Public Mobile. Text messages can and do send over LTE.  The same can't be said the same for phone calls, as you were saying.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Kim1971kim wrote:

I hope they will go to 4g and keep the prices I love pm 🙂

@Kim1971kim they are already on 4g.  The "3G" data plans are just 4G LTE with a throttled throughput.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@kav2001c wrote:

As some else mentioned above, this is not possible on 4G (which is why your phone still drops to 3G for certain tasks, like calling and texting)

5G wastes far less power since it is directional and antenna is smaller (which leaves more space in phone for other stuff)

This also causes less wireless interference between devices close together

I think you might know this already, but you can absolutely send texts on 4G. Try it by forcing your phone to "LTE only" mode, and you'll see that SMS is not affected.

As for power consumption, it's not really true as a blanket statement. 5G is not more energy efficient. The benefits from massive MIMO and beamforming that you are mentioning are mostly present at higher frequencies. These higher frequencies can be used on 5G, but are not a requirement of 5G. In addition to that, massive MIMO and beamforming can be deployed on some existing LTE bands today as well. None of this is useful for low bands. Refarming LTE B12 for 5G n12 for example, would not have any noticeable benefits.

Kim1971kim

I hope they will go to 4g and keep the prices I love pm 🙂

Its not just about speed @madhi19 

5G wastes far less power since it is directional and antenna is smaller (which leaves more space in phone for other stuff)

This also causes less wireless interference between devices close together

And of course; SPEED

@madhi19 wrote:

Even 4k streaming require a very small fraction of the speed that 5G might deliver... Considering our telco divide that number (2.5 GB/s Down 1.25GB UP) by 4 and they still have the galls to call it 5G. Our big issue is they never deliver a flat rate mobile package anyway.

What? Cat LOL

Ok I give credit that Public runs a vastly different fiefdom compared to the normal carrier mandates but transparent?

Everything from how rewards are calculated to promo dates to future plans is pretty opaque imho

Most of what the regulars have hammered out is based on trial and error, and even FAQs were not being updated for months at a time (often displaying incorrect info)

Been here for a decade but never described Public as being tranparent

@CS_Agent wrote:

Hi there!

Happy to see that you're curious about that.

As you know, transparency is one of our favorite qualities.

As soon as we will have news about anything, you should see them online.

Have a nice day ahead!

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hi there!

Happy to see that you're curious about that.

As you know, transparency is one of our favorite qualities.

As soon as we will have news about anything, you should see them online.

Have a nice day ahead!

srlawren

@sheytoon wrote:

At least it won't be like AT&T, where they relabeled LTE as 5GE.

@sheytoon if I were to guess, I'd guess that's waht @madhi19 was referring to.  AT&T are ridiculous when they pull stunts like this.  Didn't they do that with HSPA+ as well, calling it 4G?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

srlawren

@88cranston wrote:

Left the discussion. 

@88cranston no need to announce

Well, 5G is a technology, not a speed. You will have low peak speeds with low bandwidth channels and low MIMO layers. I didn't know what you meant by divide by 4.

At least it won't be like AT&T, where they relabeled LTE as 5GE.

88cranston
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Left the discussion. 

madhi19

@sheytoon wrote:

@madhi19 wrote:

Considering our telco divide that number (2.5 GB/s Down 1.25GB UP) by 4 and they still have the galls to call it 5G.

Wait, what do you mean by that?

Simply we can't really trust our telco to implement a standard without cheaping out. They label it something else pretend it 5G, and deliver a quarter of the speed because nobody is going to call them out on the bait and switch.

@88cranston wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

How many of us are really going to need 5G in our daily personal lives? You can't really type faster, read quicker, listen to music at lightening speed (some of remember what an lp sounded like at 45rpm...right @88cranston ? Or 78rpm? Lol more right?  Or watch a full length movie in 2.3 seconds. Downloading that movie at 5G gives you no time to make popcorn unless they include that in your 5G package. Sure it will speed things up but arent we already in the fast lane....slow down, enjoy life or you'll miss it. I don't think anyone's tombstone is going to say " If only I had upgraded to 5G! "

Lol. 45 and 33.3 rpm. 78rpm would make me ancient. 

@88cranston  Hahaha..I couldn't resist! Ok maybe just your M-i-L could relate to that.

88cranston
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@darlicious wrote:

How many of us are really going to need 5G in our daily personal lives? You can't really type faster, read quicker, listen to music at lightening speed (some of remember what an lp sounded like at 45rpm...right @88cranston ? Or 78rpm? Lol more right?  Or watch a full length movie in 2.3 seconds. Downloading that movie at 5G gives you no time to make popcorn unless they include that in your 5G package. Sure it will speed things up but arent we already in the fast lane....slow down, enjoy life or you'll miss it. I don't think anyone's tombstone is going to say " If only I had upgraded to 5G! "

Lol. 45 and 33.3 rpm. 78rpm would make me ancient. 

@madhi19 wrote:

Considering our telco divide that number (2.5 GB/s Down 1.25GB UP) by 4 and they still have the galls to call it 5G.

Wait, what do you mean by that?

madhi19

@darlicious wrote:

Even 4k streaming require a very small fraction of the speed that 5G might deliver... Considering our telco divide that number (2.5 GB/s Down 1.25GB UP) by 4 and they still have the galls to call it 5G. Our big issue is they never deliver a flat rate mobile package anyway.

Ed404

@Mountainmaxman wrote:

With 5G coming out and old 3G towers being taken out of service, I wonder will Public speeds go up to 4G? And with all of the recent 'deals' being offered by others with high amounts of 4G data options this option does not seem as good of a deal as it use to be. What do you guys think will change here or will Public mobile become less used?

Prices are always on rise for the future. I'd expect these "cheaper prices" to go up quite a lot when 5G becomes the standard. Although 5G is fast the infrastructure needed to maintain that speed is significant.

JuanKennedy
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

The future?....the future!

It’s going to come down to

“us” vs the “machines”

I’m a be John Conners up in this muthaphuka!!! Believe dat!!!

yo iPhone or yo kids... 

Exactly

Standerds today were lowered so the stuff they sold as 4G back then could actually be called 4G

It was the wild west for a few years with all kinds of marketing nonsense

@computergeek541 wrote:

@kav2001c wrote:

@computergeek541 

REV 0 was 3G

REV A (and REV B which Bell never finished) were 4G

Same way LTE is not true 4G

It wasn't until LTE Advanced they actually met the standerds

Marketing be damned (it was the US, in particular Sprint & T Mobile) who false advertised heavily and the carriers were all pushing the internation standerds

Didn't they push through a change in the standards that allowed them to advertise HSPA+ as "4g"?

srlawren

@sheytoon wrote:

In the US they have initially deployed 5G on mmWave only, that's why the issues are present. There's no requirement to deploy this way. In Canada you might see lower frequency bands deployed for 5G, and the coverage and experience will be similar or slightly better than 4G today.

@sheytoon I did not know that, thanks for the enlightenment!  

@madhi19 what you're describing is the limitations of mmWave frequencies, not 5G technology.

In the US they have initially deployed 5G on mmWave only, that's why the issues are present. There's no requirement to deploy this way. In Canada you might see lower frequency bands deployed for 5G, and the coverage and experience will be similar or slightly better than 4G today.

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

@Mountainmaxman I don't see 3G being decommissioned until 2025 at the earliest. Public Mobile already uses the 4G network for data and text, and will eventually enable VoLTE as well. In terms of speed increases, I can only see them doing this if a competitor does it first.

@kav2001c wrote:

@computergeek541 

REV 0 was 3G

Marketing be damned (it was the US, in particular Sprint & T Mobile) who false advertised heavily and the carriers were all pushing the internation standerds

Didn't they push through a change in the standards that allowed them to advertise HSPA+ as "4g"?

@computergeek541 

REV 0 was 3G

@computergeek541 wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

The so-called 3g CDMA network was using EVDO and did allow voice and data to be used at the same time.

@computergeek541 yeah I remember that being a big deal when it launched!  EVDO was a nice step forward, but I believe most consider it 2.5G rather than proper 3G.  

That depends on who you asked. Customers didn't consider it to be 3g, just as customers didn't usually consider HSPA+ to be 4g.  

The Bell Mobility coverage maps labelled EVDO as "3g". Some of the phones even had a sticker on them that said "3g by Qualcomm". 

@srlawren 

In some ways the later revision of EVDO (B if I remember) was far superior but more people wanted unlocked phones and SIM cards

So much so that CDMA actually worked on the RUIM SIM standerd that basically went nowhere

jor123

@madhi19 wrote:

Don't worry about it. The limitation of 5G are pretty brutal despite the marketing they need a lot more towers than feasible. Figure it's going to roll out for commercial use first. ISP's going from physical node to wireless that sorts of things. Instead worry about whatever standard come next. Once they have a standard that won't require a tower on every corner that when the industry will upgrade for the general customers.

The network is going to have to be far more dense than it is now as well. Especially outside of cities here you're lucky to even stay on 700MHz LTE without falling back to UMTS/HSPA on the TCH.

@srlawren wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

The so-called 3g CDMA network was using EVDO and did allow voice and data to be used at the same time.

@computergeek541 yeah I remember that being a big deal when it launched!  EVDO was a nice step forward, but I believe most consider it 2.5G rather than proper 3G.  

That depends on who you asked. Customers didn't consider it to be 3g, just as customers didn't usually consider HSPA+ to be 4g.  

The Bell Mobility coverage maps labelled EVDO as "3g". Some of the phones even had a sticker on them that said "3g by Qualcomm". 

srlawren

@computergeek541 wrote:

@madhi19 wrote:

Don't worry about it. The limitation of 5G are pretty brutal despite the marketing they need a lot more towers than feasible. Figure it's going to roll out for commercial use first. ISP's going from physical node to wireless that sorts of things. Instead worry about whatever standard come next. Once they have a standard that won't require a tower on every corner that when the industry will upgrade for the general customers.

@madhi19 yeah, moving even a few inches can be the difference between lightning-fast and painfully slow, from what I've seen in a few tests on YouTube.  4G fallback is absolutely a must.

Need Help? Let's chat.