cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do iPhones react when you run out of data?

pm_questions
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I've noticed I've gotten really poor battery life out of my iphone 6S recently. With 30 minutes of screen on time, I had 13% battery left after 12 hours.

Nothing looks odd in battery activity, and health is at 91%. I replaced the battery not too long ago at the apple store, so it must be the system apps or the hardware itself eating up all the battery.

I've run out of data, but I've noticed my phone is constantly trying to connect to the LTE (spinning wheel). Does this have an adverse effect on battery life?

I've turned off data all together for now to test, but I was wondering what other iphone users do.

If this were an Android phone, I would toggle Wifi and data based on location.

17 REPLIES 17

The phone is now 2-3 years old. It was designed to have a 2-3 year service life.

Compare to something like a car ... nominally designed to have a 7 year service life. Plenty of older cars are still on the road. But they often have little faults, damaged parts, finicky (or cantankerous) operating requirements, inferior performance, inferior efficiency, inferior reliability.

This might be worth clicking.

@CFPartDeux wrote:

@LurganIeUk wrote:

I buy my batteries from eBay from a Canadian source with a good rating.

Were you speaking generally, i.e. any Canadian source with a good rating, or was that a specific source, but you just don't want to share the source, cuz the PM population might buy up all the batteries, leaving you having to find a new source? 😉 🤣

Watch out...I am coming for gas!!! lol. 

Since sellers change often on eBay I must admit I have been stung twice buying batteries. Supposedly a new battery that the guy put some shiny gold stickers on a used one!! Thus I only give my method of searching for a good seller. I would not want to be the recommender and find out you got ripped off. I do know that Budget Electronic sells them and I would trust them but there is a minimum purchase amount when buying from their website  BUT they do also sell on eBay when I checked a few months ago. 

CFPartDeux
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@LurganIeUk wrote:

I buy my batteries from eBay from a Canadian source with a good rating.

Were you speaking generally, i.e. any Canadian source with a good rating, or was that a specific source, but you just don't want to share the source, cuz the PM population might buy up all the batteries, leaving you having to find a new source? 😉 🤣

pm_questions

I will definitely need to look into power saving and data saving method on iphone.

This is what I was worried about:

>>Smartphones use more power when trying to connect in low-signal areas

https://www.techlicious.com/tip/whats-draining-your-android-battery/

Anonymous
Not applicable

@pm_questions wrote:

There is per app monitoring, but there are no outliers.

App consumption is so low, that Siri is at 83%, and I only have it enabled during the lock screen.

The power draw is definitely coming from something faulty on the device, or a system app that isn't monitored.

The battery was replaced at the apple store, so I have no concerns about it's health.

One or more antennas could have been loosened or detached from the replacement job thereby making the phone struggle getting that signal. Maybe.

pm_questions

There is per app monitoring, but there are no outliers.

App consumption is so low, that Siri is at 83%, and I only have it enabled during the lock screen.

The power draw is definitely coming from something faulty on the device, or a system app that isn't monitored.

The battery was replaced at the apple store, so I have no concerns about it's health.

@Korth wrote:

@LurganIeUk 

You evidently didn't click the $30 link, lol.

Evidently....you are correct!!! LOL.  Keep in mind those are US$'s you are looking at. 

Here is one that I "MAY" have considered. 

@LurganIeUk 

You evidently didn't click the $30 link, lol.

I doubt if Apple will replace battery for $30. And from what I have heard about some shops and kiosks you may have more trouble with your phone after the battery is replaced by a careless repair person. 

I prefer to do batteries my self and follow these very well done instructions. 

I buy my batteries from eBay from a Canadian source with a good rating. if you cannot find one with 100% rating then read, carefully, their negative reviews before you proceed. 

BUT....if your battery health is 91% I would NOT change it. You need to review your settings to decrease battery usage. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@will13am wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@pm_questions 

I don't have an iphone but I turn off all the radios except basic cell until needed.

No NFC, no Bluetooth, no wifi/hotspot, no GPS/location, no cell data.

Radio transceiving takes power.

Turn off the phone for best power savings???  

That is the best way! 🙂

Samsung Pay automatically turns on NFC. I have Tasker to turn on NFC for Google Pay. I only automate one thing so far...yet. It's not hard to turn on the wifi for when I want to connect or the GPS for some fast-food/bev apps or the hotspot or cell data. I have one NFC tag for the car so I have to turn on NFC for that. But I haven't investigated using Tasker for that yet to make that one touch.

Ditto all for off.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@pm_questions 

Disable apps auto update
iTunes & App Stores > Turn Off Use Cellular / Mobile Data

Disable background data
Go to Settings > General > Background App Refresh > Turn it Off entirely or by selective Apps

Disable iCloud sync
Go to Settings > Cellular / Mobile Data > Turn Off iCloud Drive

Disable Wifi Assist
Go to Settings > Cellular / Mobile Data > scroll to bottom > Wi-Fi Assist > turn OFF

Disable data on certain apps
Go to Settings > Cellular > Scroll through and disable applications you don't want to used your Cellular Data

also recalibrate your battery. this should be done when first using a new battery or with a big system update.

ie. android 10-11 or iOS 11-12 etc. (this resets the battery stats the software has in memory)

• charge your device to 100%
  • then use it till the device shuts off
  • without turning the phone on charge it to 100%
  • unplug the charger and turn the device on and see what the percentage is. if it's not 💯, plug the charger back in till the phone reaches 💯
  • unplug and repeat the steps once more.

I can't help with iPhone data gobbling. But old battery ...

It might report "100%" when fully charged, but the reality is that it will be less. Apple's own guideline is basically that a 2 year old battery holds roughly 80% the charge it did when new (and not uncoincidentally, 80% is the threshold where Apple's software forces "Low Power Mode").

This is consistent with roughly 400 to 500 full charge cycles, all mobile batteries of this type have the same electrochemistry with the same inherent lifespan limits.

Elderly batteries also have a faster and steeper discharge curve (with or without loading). They have lower capacity, lower life, they put out lower voltage and current.

A replacement iPhone 6S battery should cost about $30.

A screenshot showing the type of battery information you can get from software like iCopyBot

(Notice this iPhone battery with 64 charge cycles already holds only 2800mAh instead of rated 2855mAh.)

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@pm_questions wrote:

I've noticed I've gotten really poor battery life out of my iphone 6S recently. With 30 minutes of screen on time, I had 13% battery left after 12 hours.

Nothing looks odd in battery activity, and health is at 91%. I replaced the battery not too long ago at the apple store, so it must be the system apps or the hardware itself eating up all the battery.

I've run out of data, but I've noticed my phone is constantly trying to connect to the LTE (spinning wheel). Does this have an adverse effect on battery life?

I've turned off data all together for now to test, but I was wondering what other iphone users do.

If this were an Android phone, I would toggle Wifi and data based on location.

To answer your subject line....THEY DON'T REACT.....YOU SIMPLY NO LONGER HAVE ACCESS TO DATA......you're done until your next 30 days of service starts unless you have bought a Data add-on. You won't go into Data Overage. 

Save your data usage....see PIC. 

Screen Shot 2020-09-09 at 9.55.41 AM.png

Do some googling on how to save data usage on an iPhone. 

Your battery usage has nothing to do with your use of Data. 

If you are not in an area where you have auto logon to wifi you might want to toggle off your wifi switch. While in motion your iPhone is always looking for wifi  and that is using up your battery. 

So in saying the latter you might also want to google now to save your battery on an iPhone. 

@Anonymous wrote:

@pm_questions 

I don't have an iphone but I turn off all the radios except basic cell until needed.

Turn off the phone for best power savings???  

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@pm_questions , I don't own an iPhone but I doubt that running out of mobile data has any spillover effect on battery life.  Cell radios are pretty energy efficient these days.  My phone is dual SIM and I keep everything live 24/7.  I can go a week on standby with light use.  There must be something else going on that is consuming the battery.  Is there a per app battery usage stat?  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@pm_questions 

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@pm_questions  Try turning on sms and mms, and data and turn of Imessage and WiFi assist  when on data and when out of data. That should help your battery life. Stay safe. 

Need Help? Let's chat.