cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I reactivate an old SIM card on an old phone?

Wisewoman
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I've lost my phone & want to start using my old phone while figure out what I'm going to do ( or see if someone found it).

I'm not able to reactivate my old SIM card. It says it's a previously used SIM card. Why should this be an issue?

12 REPLIES 12

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey @Wisewoman,

That is actually inaccurate! We offer a triple punch SIM card,  that includes an adapter which allows you to switch sizes, from Nano to Micro to Standard size (3 in 1). You wouldn't need to purchase a new SIM whenever you want to switch phones.

We also do offer customer service, right here on the community! Our moderators strive to provide quality customer service, therefor is if you ever require assistance, feel free to reach out to us via private message 🙂

Cheers,

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

Wisewoman

You would think so & I agree with what you are saying. But apparently, with Public Mobile that is not the case. 

You cannot move a SIM card from one phone to another. They force you to buy a new card for each phone.

$$$$$ MONEY GRAB! $$$$

Just one of the ways they keep their rates low, I guess. Along with the invisible,  non-existent customer service.

ute1978
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Wisewoman wrote:

Thanks for your response. It's stupid that PM makes their members buy a new SIM card for every new phone. Mine was never deactivated. I was simply forced to buy a new one because I purchased a new phone.

It is the first time I hear from this procedure.

Just for clarification:

• A sim card which is active and has a plan on it can be inserted and used in any unlocked phone. Why would you buy a new sim card for a new phone? 
  • A sim card which was inactive for 90 days will be deactivated and you lose the whole account including all credits in that account. There is no way to re-activate it. Not only PM does this, all carriers do this.

Michael77
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I also believe the old sim card cannot be used.

@Wisewoman wrote:

I've lost my phone & want to start using my old phone while figure out what I'm going to do ( or see if someone found it).

I'm not able to reactivate my old SIM card. It says it's a previously used SIM card. Why should this be an issue?

To my knowledge, from a technical standpoint, there isn't actually anything preventing the re-use of sim cards.  However, carriers just don't allow it as as policy.

Your old sim card can't be used.  Sorry.

@Wisewoman, it is not just PM all providers  would deactivate a sim if a new one is activated on the account.  If you choose to buy a new sim they are a Triple punch meaning they fit all three sizes.  So if your old phone is a micro SIM just punch off the outer layer and then if you find your new phone and it is a nano SIM just punch out the next layer for it to fit.  If it is reverse you can get adapters for a nano sim to fit a micro SIM.  Again this is not just PM that does this.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

hi sorry @Wisewoman  but every carrier does not allow reactivation of old sim cards.  

I don't understand why  you would have to buy a 3rd sim card.  you can put the new (2nd) simcard in any phone your old phone and  the new phone if you have to buy a new one

Wisewoman

Thanks for your response. It's stupid that PM makes their members buy a new SIM card for every new phone. Mine was never deactivated. I was simply forced to buy a new one because I purchased a new phone. I won't be buying a new SIM card just to use my OLD phone for a few days.

If I don't find my TWO MONTH OLD PHONE, I will have to buy another one & another SIM card for that one too. It's ridiculous. This is yet another reason to leave Public Mobile

mimmo

@NDesai@ShawnC13  seconds apart 🙂

mimmo

sorry to hear about your phone.

simcards once activated can not be activated a second time.  you ned to go to walmart or wow mobile and buy a sim card for 10$.  

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Wisewoman, SIM cards are a one time activation.  Once they have been de-activated you will need to purchase a new sim card.  You can get them at Walmart stores, WOW Mobile boutiques or you can still order them online.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@Wisewoman Once the sim is activated, you cannot reactivate. You will need to get a new sim from walmart, wow mobile or online. Once you get it, simply change the sim number from your self-serve account.

Need Help? Let's chat.