cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I stop a caller sending me text from his phone everyday

jamie123
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

There is an individual sending me texts everyday, exactly at the same hours every single day.

I called him today and I said to stop it but he is refusing to send texts from his phone How can I block his phone number.

30 REPLIES 30

up2dwntwn
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks for getting back to me! I usually have a flip phone for my main device, so it's new for me to be using a smartphone. Thinking about trying to find another but it is problems like not having enough control that is leaving me happy to avoid that whole situation for now!

Have a good one,

Lynn

@up2dwntwn 

That's very kind of you to say. This was a tough one....i have the same flip phone (now my emergency back up) and just couldn't find a way of blocking  the texter but there were a couple tantalizing clues that it could be possible but never activated by the developer/manufacturer

up2dwntwn
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

Thanks for the message about your cellphone type. I am going to assume that you will have someone answer back with walkthrough instructions after you post it! I think it is best for you to get to know your cell a bit, so I want to emphasize that you should follow through with this.

Wanting to block someone from being able to send anything to you is important as well. I dont want to minimize that the most important part of this will be gaining control over you privacy, without unwanted attention.

If you want help finding the model of your cell, I would be able to help you figure out what and where to look.

I hope that you are able to carry out with the things you want to.

The messaging is a bit confusing here (I am also new to this group. so far I'm a bit lost on what exactly is going on!). I hope you can find the responses to your message and I will do my best to figure out how to get this information to you as well.

Best wishes,

Lynn

Dankaroo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@darlicious wrote:

@Dankaroo  Please note the OP has a flip phone.....so Android options will not apply.

@jamie123  Thanks....if I ever figure out how to add numbers to the phones blacklist a real solution to your issue will be achieved. For now as weve discovered the answer is just ...no you can't.

Thank you sir, in the case anyone with similar concern and an android were to read this I hope they find the steps helpful. To iPhone users ... Eww, sadly I cannot help you without picking it up and messing with the settings myself. For flip phone though I am far from an expert but perhaps this video can help. http://youtu.be/NmeLCA9egho

@Dankaroo  Please note the OP has a flip phone.....so Android options will not apply.

@jamie123  Thanks....if I ever figure out how to add numbers to the phones blacklist a real solution to your issue will be achieved. For now as weve discovered the answer is just ...no you can't.

Dankaroo

Android: call history, hit 3 dots next to number (similar process in text app). Go to call details, hit the 3 dots at top right for a block number option. Note they can still leave you voicemails and their calls won't come through/ring.

jamie123

Thank you so much for your comment I totally agreed with you on that. I will follow your advice. Thank you again. Alcatel phones are very good quality I have this phone since 2014. And I never had any problem since then. I will keep this phone until I see it does n't work anymore. And then, I will change it for sure.

@jamie123  The alcatel....its like a Timex. It takes a beating but keeps on ticking. It's a great phone and if you don't have to surf the net or care about social media it fufills all you need out of a phone. It even has a video camera built into it. Use an sdcard and the Bluetooth for tunes it has a lot of features built into its tiny little package. Mine is six years old and still going strong even if it's been relegated to the back up phone.

jamie123

You are totally right about that. Alcatel's model is from primitive times. But, I can say that the quality and performance of such a phone are excellent quality. Thank you for comment. It\s very appreciated.

jamie123

Thank you very much for your advice, I will keep it in mind. Thank you for all your support and assistance. Thank you again!

@jamie123Yes we do have the same phone. I have the guide too....but there's not much in there as far as instructions go....nor on the internet. But the existence of the white and blacklist within the phone leads me to believe there is a possibility. I also read a blog that one user found there were many options that could be set in the phone but it was trial and error methods to set things up.

When you're ready to upgrade to a smartphone narrow down your choices and come back here for some advice....

@srlawren  Lol..... @jamie123  appears to be using the same model of alcatel flip phone that i use as an emergency back up phone. I was trying to troubleshoot by going thru my phone trying to figure out if its even possible to block numbers. It looks like it may be possible but alcatel does not provide any instructions on how to do this.....on this older model phone.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@jamie123 @darlicious I'm guessing you're using whatever default texting app came on your phone?  You could use Google's own Messages app, it's free to download and to use, from the Play Store:  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.messaging.  Open up the conversation from the person you want to block, go to the "..." menu in the top right, choose Details.  Then choose Block & report spam.  In the pop-up that comes up, uncheck "Report spam" and tap OK, and you won't get any more texts from them.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@jamie123 wrote:

Thank you guys for all your comments, and suggestions. I will take everyone's ideas and put them into practice. Thank you so much for all! It will always remind me how good you people are. Just one little thing my Alcatel phone model is A392A. And you got it right I can't block calls or texts from this phone. That's the bad part of all. But maybe one day I will buy an iPhone. Thank you again all of you, And please received my gratitude for all your comments. Thank you so much!

@jamie123   Sorry to hear you haven't found a way to block this nuisance texter.  It does seem flip phones don't seem to allow blocking.  I have a similar problem (not urgent like yours), but I cannot find a way to block spam callers on a Alcatel GoFlip yet.  I did read online that some of the American carriers enable blocking at their end for their customers with flip phones, but I don't believe that it's available here. 

As to upgrading to a smart phone, you can probably find a decent android phone that would probably be cheaper than an Iphone.   It's always best to do some comparison shopping before buying when you do make that decision.  Anyway good luck.

jamie123

Thank you guys for all your comments, and suggestions. I will take everyone's ideas and put them into practice. Thank you so much for all! It will always remind me how good you people are. Just one little thing my Alcatel phone model is A392A. And you got it right I can't block calls or texts from this phone. That's the bad part of all. But maybe one day I will buy an iPhone. Thank you again all of you, And please received my gratitude for all your comments. Thank you so much!

@jamie123 

Ok I got curious and played with my phone. Go to text messages. Then to settings. Scroll down to service message. In there is enable white list and enable blacklist. In theory the white list you would enter all your acceptable numbers and your phone would only accept calls and texts from these numbers. The opposite would be true for the blacklist. So you could enter the number you want blocked on your blacklist. But how you enter a number I could not find by googling it or on YouTube. Frustratingly close....maybe someone here will know. Alternatively you can try texting #STOP to the phone number in question to block it....hopefully that will work from a flip phone. (#UNBLOCK to unblock it)

As well all providers are supposed to provide a service to block a phone number for you. They may provide this service for free or for a fee. So you could contact a moderator and ask if that is possible. I only skimmed thru the wireless code recommendations so I'm unsure if this is a legislated requirement or a voluntary practice. It may be worth calling videotron but I have a feeling only your provider can enable this option. If all these options fail making a harassment complaint to your local police and showing a documented timeline of your efforts to stop the harassment barring purchasing a newer phone or changing your number may be the only other option.

You may want to test the #STOP on a friends number first to see if it works. If it does fantastic unblock them and send it to the number you want blocked. If not you could always send a message to the offending number sayung " Haha your blocked now a$$hole!" Then text #STOP. Then do not respond to any texts and send any calls to voicemail. Hopefully he will stop by thinking you have blocked him.

jamie123

Yes, I can see your past situation. In reality, he is sending me texts everyday. When I called him yesterday. He was enjoying sending me messages in a daily basis. Which I did not see it very funny, when I was talking to him. He was continue enjoying it, I just said you continue sending me these messages. But, I didn't say what I am going to do. I thought to contact the police dept and give them his phone number, let the police to take care of the situation. However, I have his telephone provider and is with Videotron. I have two choices; make a complaint either contact the police or Contact Videotron or both at the same time. And see the results of what he is going to get in the short way ! I considered both ways. Thank you everyone for your help and assistance. Every comment, suggestions have been taken into considerations. What is so much appreciated. All comments are excellent! thank you so much. 

jamie123

Thank you very much everyone, all ideas have been taken into considerations. And I will put them in my agenda, promised ! Also, My Alcatel phone. I do not have a very good memory what type of Alcatel phone it's. Certaintly in my next text to all of you I will let you know of the exact model. Thank you to everyone again, and all your comments and guidelines are taken into considerations. Thank you very much to all !. 

@jamie123  No problem I had a similar issue a few years ago and even the police couldn't understand why I couldn't block the number. Their initial suggestions were to change phone numbers or buy a new phone which I refused to do. They did eventually agree to contact the individual and warn him to stop the harassing texts (I never responded to them but would continue to save and report each incident to my police file #.) It took several warnings but eventually he did stop....perhaps because there was starting to be enough evidence to actually charge him with harassment and possibly warrant a peace bond (the Canadian equivalent to a restraining order but quite difficult to have granted.) If the texts are in any way disturbing the police may agree to contact the individual and warn him to stop. At the time I was with telus and I don't believe they offered any real assistance to block the phone number without it being a much more serious criminal case.

jamie123

Thank you for your message, yes endeed. I have almost the same type of phone. It's impossible to block his phone number and text messages ! Thank you for your responsed. Very appreciated.

@jamie123  I have an Alcatel one touch A392A flip phone if you have th he same model it is indeed impossible to block calls or text messages on this phone.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@jamie123  try this for text.

Go to your phone’s menu and then to “Messages”.

In the listed conversations, click the contact whose SMS you no longer want to receive.

• Hold down for a few seconds until you see a selection on the screen.

• Click on “Add to spam numbers”.

If you want to create a list of spam numbers try the following:

• In the “Messages” menu, click on the three points below and then on “Settings”.
  • Go to the “Spam Settings” item. Click it to activate this option if you have not already done it.
  • Then tap “Add to spam numbers”.

You can dial a phone number again or select a contact.

@jamie123  what Alcatel one touch do you have there are many models.. example elevate, allura, go play, fierce...

Do you know what one yours is??

jamie123

Thank you to everyone who responded to my situation. I am greatfully appreciated for your kidness, and assistance.

the model of my phone, it's an Alcatel Onetouch, and from this small phone there is no way I can block his number. I tried all the Alcatel's features but doesn't say how to block his number. My phone is a very old model, and it does n't have the feature to block his number. What I know he is with Videotron that it's his provider. If given the case that I can't use my small phone to block his number, I will call Videotron and talk to customer service and I will give them his phone number and explaint my situation. It seems like this is the only way. If there is not another alternative solution that I can find for now. What do you think ? Thank you in advance for your next response !

ddeep91
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

If you have android, Go to your calling log, Select the number you want to block. You will see the "details" tab or 3 dots.cap`.PNG

Once you select that there should be an option to block that number or Add to Auto reject list. Once blocked they will not be able to call or text you again.cap`1.PNG

If you have iPhone

"If you're in the Phone app under Recents, tap next to the phone number or contact that you want to block. Scroll to the bottom of your screen, then tap Block this Caller

Cheers

iPhoneUser

@popping wrote:

@jamie123 

You can block the text from a sender.

If you are using an Android phonehttps://www.technipages.com/android-block-text-messages-from-specific-person

If you are using an iPhonehttps://www.ubergizmo.com/how-to/block-sms-iphone/

If iPhone use call block. 

Or 

Change Phone number.....if iMessage to an email address, de register the email address

Or

If you know who it is.....request a restraining order 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@jamie123 

You can block the text from a sender.

If you are using an Android phonehttps://www.technipages.com/android-block-text-messages-from-specific-person

If you are using an iPhonehttps://www.ubergizmo.com/how-to/block-sms-iphone/

Lowufo

Block their number 

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@jamie123 wrote:

There is an individual sending me texts everyday, exactly at the same hours every single day.

I called him today and I said to stop it but he is refusing to send texts from his phone How can I block his phone number.

So when you click on this person's phone number from your calling log, do you see the 3 dots top right for a drop down menu?  Usually from there you should be able to select Add to Auto reject list.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@jamie123 just select the number and use block and report spam if on an Android phone. For us to better assist you. Please tell us the make and model of your phone . Thanks.

@jamie123 wrote:

Need Help? Let's chat.