cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I protect my cell phone number?

lucki
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

A very terrible thing happened to me. Yesterday I found that my cell phone had no service signal, so I logged in to PM and found that the SIM card number was changed without authorization, but when I wanted to change back to my SIM card number, It cannot be changed, it shows like "The SIM card number is in use or invalid...", no other way to help me, so I have to go to Wal-Mart to buy a new SIM card, and finally changed it back and got my cell phone signal.

I don't know what happened? Is the password leaked? then why doesn't he change the password? Why can I still log in to PM? I have never clicked any suspicious links.
Can you tell me: What should you do if something like this happens to you?
Even more seriously is, if your cell phone number is transferred, what should you do?

I found that after logging in to PM, it will display your name, account number and address..., and your cellphone number can be transferred based on these information.

By using SMS, the thief just stole a little money from my Paypal when my cell phone number was stolen. Please be careful your cell phone number.

20 REPLIES 20

@Trinarae16 wrote:

I want the number deleted I'll be getting a new number Tomm , I don't have the sim chip it was taken out of my phone now this person access to my information

Can any CSA online in the community right now assist this customer?

@Christian_P 
@Clau_Del 
@Evelyn_A 

@Lorenn_B 

@Trinarae16 

Once you get in contact with a CSA and suspend your account you will want to purchase a new unactivated sim card so you can swap SIM cards. Where are you located?

@Trinarae16 

Either use Simple--Simon or send a private message with "urgent stolen SIM card" in the subject title Customer support is open for another 90 minutes . Ask for a password reset but see if they can suspend your service via lost/stolen for you.

Send a private message...   Contact the CSA's (formerly moderators) by sending a private message and leave a detailed message explaining your issue and the info to verify your account by including the following information:  

1. Full name and address on pm account. ( Or province and postal code for newer accounts.)
  2. Email, phone # and pin #.

If  you cannot remember your pin # include at least three ( if they apply)of the following:

1.  Date of birth (n/a on newer accounts.)
  2. Last payment, date, amount, type and last 4 digits.
  3. Alternate phone number if any.
  4. Security question and answer.
  5. Plan amount, any add ons or promos on account.
  6. Last 4 digits of sim card.
  7. Any rewards in your account.
  8. Autopay y/n?
  9. Account #.
  10. Frequently called/texted phone numbers in the last 30 days.  

The average wait time is 2 to 4 hours but be prepared to wait up to 48 hours for non urgent requests. Current wait times are about one hour and are probably even less as I have had some very quick responses in tne past week.

Keep an eye on your private message box the envelope icon next to your avatar for a little number to pop indicating a message from the CSA's (formerly moderators.) Responding promptly will speed up service times.

Do not post any of this info in the community only in your private messages when communicating or contacting the Moderator_Team.

To send a private message to the CSA's (formerly moderators) click below
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Trinarae16 

you have to report to Contact Customer Support Agent by  ,

Trinarae16
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I want the number deleted I'll be getting a new number Tomm , I don't have the sim chip it was taken out of my phone now this person access to my information

@Trinarae16 

What is your intent? Do you want to cancel your service? Port your number out? Change your number?

@Trinarae16 

Can you go to the 3 dots to the top right corner of your post and edit out your email please? You don't want to be spammed or worse.....

@popping 

Or could you please and thank you....

@Trinarae16 wrote:

I can't access my account my email on the account is xxx don't know the user name for it I need to access this account and delete my number please and thank y

The email on the account is the username. Try the Forgot password link.

You cannot delete your PM number from the account. If you remove autopay the account will close 90 days after the renewal date. You can change the number to a different one in self service.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Trinarae16 wrote:

I can't access my account my email on the account is ****@gmail.com don't know the user name for it I need to access this account and delete my number please and thank

@Trinarae16 

you have to Contact Customer Support Agent by  ,
to them change your email address,

Here’s How To Contact Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent, 

• or you can send a private message to Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent, by Click Here
  • You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

• please include in your message,
  • your account number, 
  • your phone number,
  • your account 4 digit pin,
  • your Email address,

• Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent, will Response to your inbox by private message 
     Check your private message inbox (click on the envelope top right of your screen)

Good Luck

Trinarae16

I can't access my account my email on the account is  don't know the user name for it I need to access this account and delete my number please and thank y

@Trinarae16 

What is the issue you are having? We need more detail to help you.

Trinarae16

Pls help me protect my cell number

lucki

@gpixel @Nezgar @JK8 @computergeek541 Thanks for everyone.
Yes, I am a PM customer before February 2020, I have changed a strong password and name after this trouble, I will do these things immediately based on your suggestions,thanks again!

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@lucki 

if you were a pm customer before February 2020. then you were probably one of the accounts affected by the data breach.

if you would like some security I suggest following these instructions

create an email strictly for public mobile(you will need mods to do this for you) make sure under "my profile" in self serve, your email is also changed to the new one.
change your name and address on your self serve account
don't use your personal email password for the pm website
don't use a password manager(chrome, safari, etc. browsers
don't use your cellphone number as a 2fa for banks, PayPal etc

@lucki wrote:

I have changed a stronger password. I am puzzled if the password is leaked, they should change the password to prevent me from logging in to PM.
Also, I am looking for the answer in the community: What should I do if my phone number is transferred to another carrier? Can I ask for it back? I feel very scared if once I lose my phone number.

Yeah... it will be hard to know how the 3rd party acquired your password... but they got it somehow. Well, it's good you changed your password now at least.

Public Mobile recently did implement port fraud protection somewhere around November 6th as part of an overall industry wide effort. At least that's when the first reports of the new behaviour were reported by people here the PM community forum: Upon receiving a port-out request, PM will send a verification text that must be responded to with "yes" within 90 minutes. Otherwise the port out will be rejected. Also the same when porting in from most other carriers too now.

Check out the article from the official help pages: https://publicmobile.ca/en/sk/get-help/articles/port-fraud-protection

Regardless, moderators in the case of a successful fraudulent port-out, its imperative to get in touch with moderators ASAP as they will usually be able to back it out if actioned quickly.

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@lucki wrote:

@Nezgar  Thank you.

I have changed a stronger password. I am puzzled if the password is leaked, they should change the password to prevent me from logging in to PM.
Also, I am looking for the answer in the community: What should I do if my phone number is transferred to another carrier? Can I ask for it back? I feel very scared if once I lose my phone number.

If you are sim jacked again. Log into self service and put your phone in lost/stolen mode and change the password on your account. Check all your banking information and other accounts.

After that contact a moderator to get back your number etc.

• Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. Click here to get started.
  • Alternatively, you can send a private message to the Moderators by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

lucki

@Nezgar  Thank you.

People have reported back here in the forums after similar incidents that moderators have been able to reinstate their original SIM cards in the case of SIMjacking occurrences like this. Of course you can also buy a new SIM card and switch to it yourself, but apparently they could have helped you avoid that.

The going theory is that there were many password databases from other companies leaked to hacker communities over the last few years, so if the same password was associated to the same email address or name across multiple sites, it's possible your Public Mobile account may have been at risk if you used the same password.

Usually the SimJacking has been used to send one-time passwords in order to hack PayPal accounts...

I've heard others mention that Public Moible (or Telus?) had a breach of some kind in early 2020 - can anyone confirm if this was the case?

Regardless, it is prudent not to use the same password across sites, especially for ones mobile, and financial type accounts...

lucki

@computergeek541 Thank your reply. I was very afraid, and I didn't find the answer in the community within a short time when I search "SIM Card be changed unauthorized“, and I was afraid that Wal-Mart was off work. I knew what would happen if I lost my phone number, so I went to Wal-Mart to buy a new SIM card.

@lucki You wouldn't be able make the switch yourself to a SIM card that has been used before. If that's possible, only a moderator would be able to perform this task.

Need Help? Let's chat.