cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hotspot does not work.

Metatrix
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi there.

Today, even though I've been with public mobile for years, I am starting to look for a new service provider because of this issue. I imperatively need to be able to use my cellphone's data on my laptop using hotspot and tethering.

When I try to connect with the wi-fi hotspot, it says that I'm connected, but without internet access.

When I try to connect with the USB tethering, it simply does not give me access to my public mobile's data (it only works if I connect my cellphone to my house's wifi, then I share this connection with my laptop, which is useless. I need to share my mobile data).

My laptop can successfully connect to any other wi-fi. So it's not the laptop.

I tried my friend's hotspot and he has a Samsung galaxy s7 just like me but with another service provider; it works just fine. So it's not the model of the phone.

I tried another friend's hotspot, a friend who this time has a different phone but is also with public mobile, and it does not work; the same problem arises.

So the problem is really identified to be with public mobile's service.

Now, before someone redirects me and tells me to look into other threads with the same problem, I have already done that. So if you are a tech from public mobile, please, go look at all the "solutions" that I've already tried before telling me to try them.

I already did. There are a lot of them. None worked.

This thread down here sums it up. Since days past, I have tried everything and all variations of those solutions, without exception, and without any result :
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Wifi-Hotspot-Does-not-Work/td-p/20640...

My laptop is an Asus Zenbook, and my phone is a Samsung Galaxy S7 if that helps.

The only thing I could think of, but I don't think it matters, is that I bought the phone in the USA. Could this be the cause? It shouldn't, a phone is a phone, right?

I would love to stay with public mobile, and if someone can help fix this, I will!

Thank you in advance for your time.

37 REPLIES 37

BCW
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I am a new PM user, just tried the hotspot with my iphone and ipad and also with another iphone. 
Same results the hotspot does not work.

This is a important feature.

Metatrix
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

"To make that conclusion, you'll want to try your SIM card in another phone"

I actually just tried someone else's SIM card in MY phone, and I was able to hotspot the internet. So the public mobile service is now certainly the problem.

I mean, internet connection is an exchange of information, so it takes at least two sides, so of course there are other elements involved. Considering that other people can use public mobile's service and hotspot without any problem, it means that, of course, not everything is wrong about public mobile's service. I'm sure it works just fine with many people.

BUT, in my case, the problem is obviously and without a shadow of a doubt arising from them.

1. My phone's hotspot is working perfectly fine with other SIM cards,
  2. the model of my phone is out of the equation and
  3. my laptop has perfectly good wi-fi connectivity with everything else

"One thing to try might be to add the following to the APN type field:

dun"

Adding dun is one of the first things I tried.

Before taking your precious time to suggest to me things like a tutorial on basic tethering setup or applying an easy to find APN tweak, I suggest that you evaluate the extent of effort and research I already put into my problem and the level of understanding of it that I already have based on my previous comment. you don't have to guess, just click the link I provided and you'll see what I have been working with (carefully and extensively).

Thank you for your intent to help, it is appreciated.

Do you still think the problem could be with my device's software now that I have tried someone else's SIM card and successfully used my phone's hotspot to share the connection with my laptop?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Metatrix : What has changed? Did this used to work? Any updates on laptop or phone? Can you try either 2.4ghz or 5ghz on either side?

@Metatrix 

I do not believe that this is a Public Mobile issue.  To make that conclusion, you'll want to try your SIM card in another phone  I strongly suspect that the issue is with your device's software. Some carrirers have manufacturers of devices sold by them disable the hotspot feature. I can say that hotspot does work at Public Mobile.

One thing to try might be to add the following to the APN type field:

dun

Anonymous
Not applicable

you bought the phone is not matter from where . a phone is a phone, your right.

but i know that issue is not to Public Mobile service issue. that the issue is with your device's software. but you can try it,

but can you check it out for you APN Settings On Android Phones

HERE 

and i love to research about it
and i found something maybe is will help you i'm not sure about it because you need to try in your device you know.

1.click HERE 

2. click HERE 

3. click HERE 

4. click HERE 

i hope you will getting a help for it 

or

you need to Submit a ticket to a moderator.

Here’s when and how to contact the Moderator Team:

• Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. Click here to get started.
  • or you can send a private message to Moderator_Team by Click here.            You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

• In your message put it, please include.
  • your account number,
  • your phone number,
  • your account PIN,
  • explanation to them nice Team and nice service 

Good Luck

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Metatrix well written post, and some good trouble shooting.

I was going to suggest a RESET of your Network Settings; it would not hurt to do this.

Interesting another Public Mobile device, one of your friends, has the same issue.

Are you able to use Data normally through your phone (with your wifi toggled off), without trying to hotspot it?

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Metatrix 

Maybe screenshot your APN settings.  There might be a few suggestions about adjustments.  Network reset of phone?  

If you tried everything and nobody else in the community has any better ideas, you might want to submit ticket for moderator assistance.  

Click on the chat bubble icon on the right lower corner of website to start ticketing process to contact moderator.  Type: hotspot issue. Follow the prompts to submit ticket.  

Need Help? Let's chat.