cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Maple98
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Home wifi connection drops

Hey! New to PM (from Telus) as of Monday & I seem to be losing my wifi connection in more areas of my home than I was with Telus (though there have always been issues in certain ‘far corners‘ of the house), which seems odd to me since PM is owned by Telus & runs off same network (right?). Can’t imagine why wifi range would be affected? Anyone else having this problem or have any insights?

I did notice a couple of threads concerning excessive data usage, but none mentioned their wifi connection as being the issue, so those replies didn’t really seem relevant, though I wonder if that may be what’s contributing to their higher data usage (not my concern yet, since I usually notice quickly when phone switches from wifi to data)

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Re: Home wifi connection drops

Your home wi-fi has nothing to do with your PM data access.  You might want to try getting a wi-fi extender to increase your wi-fi coverage area.

View solution in original post

All Replies
laptop5000
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

It is just a coincidence that you are having Wi-Fi issues after switching to PM. Your phones Wi-Fi connection has nothing to do with your mobile carrier.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Maple98 changing your mobile provider will have no impact whatsoever on your home internet or home internet Wi-Fi access point.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Your home wi-fi has nothing to do with your PM data access.  You might want to try getting a wi-fi extender to increase your wi-fi coverage area.

View solution in original post

Maple98
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Awesome! Good to know! Thanks everyone! Seemed odd that I've been having so many more issues with the wifi this week, but my tech skills are limited. Lol

Will definitely look into an extender. 

Thanks again!!

shskr
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Try rebooting your home router and wait a few minutes. I do this every so often when i keep dropping wifi at home. if you are in a part of the house you get no signal try buying a wifi extender. It is like a antenna that plugs in your wall socket that picks up your wifi signal and boosts it so it can be full signal anywhere in the house even outside on the patio.

That's what i've done and it works great.

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Your WiFi is likely on a busy channel. If you feel comfortable going into settings, you can change the channel to something with less activity on it. Also, you might want to delete and then readd the WiFi profile on your phone. They can be finicky when they have too many WiFi access points in "memory."

Most routers that ISPs send out w/ their service are cheap hardware (likely a modem + router combo). It's always a good idea to get a separate hardware router and turn off the router part of the modem + router combo. But again, that'd require a little more comfort w/ the technical. Something to keep in mind and perhaps enlist a techy friend to help if the problem persists.

But as others have said, yes, there's no correlation between switching mobile providers (uses mobile data) vs. WiFi connection problems (uses your internet service provider's data and WiFi is broadcast from the modem/router combo they provide).

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Maple98 do some googling on Wi-Fi extenders vs. Mesh.  Depending on your needs and budget, a mesh system is (usually) going to give you better results.

I won't go into a ton of details but for anyone curous why: 

(1) you maintain ONE sid (effectively, only one unified network for your devices no matter where you are in the house); Okay yes, if you know what you're doing, you can kind of set this up with an extender as well but it's more work

(2) speed.  When you use an extender, it has to communicate with your regular WAP (wireless access point--your "WiFi Router") on the same channel as any other devices connected to it, slowing it down.  So even though you may get a better signal in remote parts of your home using the extender's network, it may not be any faster.  Each node in a mesh systems uses a dedicated channel to talk to one another, seaprate from the channel your devices are using.  This results in a more efficient network.

(3) ease of setup.  You'll pay more for a mesh network than just buying an extender, but they are built to work together, rather than having to configure an extender.

Just my two cents.  Depending on your budget and size of your home, make the call that works for you!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
RossN
Mayor / Maire

one thing that I don't believe was mentioned is,if is at all possible move your wifi router a foot or two away from the rest of your electronics it will cut down dramatically on interference and will extend your wifi coverage

o@srlawren wrote:

@Maple98 do some googling on Wi-Fi extenders vs. Mesh.  Depending on your needs and budget, a mesh system is (usually) going to give you better results.

Maple98, if you decide on Mesh system, I would strongly advise against the Asus Lyra Trio (MAP-1750).  It is just a bad overall product with firmware bugs that make it almost impossible to get these things connected to each other using the most recent router firmware.   The kicker is a bug that causes a "sync no surf" issue every night on some devices.   The other Oracles already know what I think about that Asus model.  I would be sure to compare reveiws, and I don't mean those on some websites that used the product for only 2 hours and prematurely declare a product as good or bad.

Need Help? Let's chat.