cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Higher data plans?

roropinkerton
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Would public mobile ever offer more than 5GB of data? I would gladly pay $10-15 more for 8-10 GB of data if it were offered. Recently switched from freedom due to an outage on their end but I’m finding the constant checking on my data usage a little frustrating. While I’m thoroughly enjoying being on public mobile, I feel a bit limited by this data cap.

21 REPLIES 21

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@srlawren @kav2001c work well the hacked but who want to pay for 😄 simore

wrote:

@Wonder_why & @srlawren man why stop there?

You can buy adapters for up to *5* SIM cards in a normal nano SIM slot these days

2, 3, 5 SIMs with automatic or manual switching your choice

iphone-8-plus-five-sim-card-adapter-wx-five-8-plus

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Wonder_why I'm on it!!

@Luddite @kav2001c wow those adapters are pretty slick eh?  I wonder how well they actually work.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@Wonder_why & @srlawren man why stop there?

You can buy adapters for up to *5* SIM cards in a normal nano SIM slot these days

2, 3, 5 SIMs with automatic or manual switching your choice

iphone-8-plus-five-sim-card-adapter-wx-five-8-plus

Wonder_why

wrote:

If you are serious about srlawren's idea try searching for dual SIM adapters for Phone; one example http://www.simore.com/en/

@srlawren you could try this hacked Cat Happy

@srlawren you could always get a Freedom SIM for second slot

$15 for 4GB & since network is so slow you will never actually use all the data Cat LOL

If you are serious about srlawren's idea try searching for dual SIM adapters for Phone; one example http://www.simore.com/en/

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Wonder_why

@roropinkerton if you used up all your Data ,you can private messages to the Mod for early renewal,last December price war Robellus offer $60 for 10GB , sad to see you missed the rides 

srlawren

@roropinkerton annoying indeed, but at least it's a one-time cost.  EDIT:  after that, the $5/GB ($15 for 3GB per month) is a LOT more affordable than if you had to buy those 3 GB as PM add-ons (3x$30 = $90, a difference of $75, plus tax).

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

wrote:

Would public mobile ever offer more than 5GB of data? I would gladly pay $10-15 more for 8-10 GB of data if it were offered. Recently switched from freedom due to an outage on their end but I’m finding the constant checking on my data usage a little frustrating. While I’m thoroughly enjoying being on public mobile, I feel a bit limited by this data cap.

@roropinkerton, what you see is what you get when you went through the plan selection options.  Those who wanted a cheap big gig plan on a real network would have bought into the $60 for 10 gig offering by the major brands last year. 

wrote:

Of course they do lol what else could I expect from Fido 😛

Shareholders expect no less from Fido.  Smiley Happy

roropinkerton

Of course they do lol what else could I expect from Fido 😛

srlawren

@roropinkerton yeah, I decided to finally try out this approach a few weeks ago.  Haven't had to use it much, mostly just testing it occasionally to see how the network works etc.  I may end up cancelling it if i Idon't use it enough in the next few months, but I figured it didn't cost much to try it.  I should add:  they do charge a $25 activation fee, which includes the cost of the SIM card.  

roropinkerton

Shoot, I've got an iPhone 8 Plus, definitely not dual sim. That's really interesting though, didn't know you could do something like that!

srlawren

@roropinkerton do you have a dual-SIM phone?  If so, you could pick up a $15/month 3GB tablet plan from Fido to augment your data needs.  That would give you 8 GB total.  They say it's only open to their existing post-paid mobile plan customers, but apparently it's possible to get around that, as per @mimmo's post I linked.

@roropinkerton I have a friend in your situation who converted to 3G from LTE which helped a little. Even so he often uses more but, rather than purchasing data add-ons, he makes one time payments, as needed, equal to his plan cost and asks the moderators to renew early. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

sbreakin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Thanks to @wetcoaster for several tips. In addition to handy Datawitness app...

another trick I use is to use my Android cell phone data limit & set it to just over 1/3 of my 90-day plan.

I can deactivate or dismiss it but at least I know how 'on track' i am for lasting the whole 90-day period.  

(As it turns out while my use is creeping up, I don't early use even half of my data.)

Another idea is to download off-line maps where your app allows (& possibly video for viewing later where permittable). 

I have seen & made suggestions of having a 'lite' data speed after one runs out - so that you have at least very basic functions. Admittedly this might decrease the somewhat expensive data add-on (but most company's focus is the main plans).

The largest data at moment are promo plans for 5Gb for LTE speeds & 6Gb on "3G LTE" for 30-day plans. BUT one thing PM has is 90-day plans which allow you to 'go over' at times and try to save data during other times & these specials are also in the build a plan section where you can build a 90-day same cost plan (as I write this). 

@roropinkerton

Sorry to hear that you missed the pre-Christmas deal frency.

You might want to look into your phone settings and ensure that you don't use data unnecessarily. Some points that spring to mind:

- Turn WiFi assist off (if applicable)

- Turn background data off where it makes sense

- Allow up-dates only over WiFi

- Use off-line versions where it makes sense and they are available

- Use a data tracker like https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/IWIK-s-quot-Data-Witness-quot-for-And...

roropinkerton

Public is definitely a nice middle ground between super cheap, like freedom, and reliable, like the big 3 and their flanker brands. Still, it would be nice to at least have the option of a slightly higher data tier. Seems like anything above 4/5 gigs with the other carriers suddenly introduces a steep price increase (for absolutely no reason).

roropinkerton

Yep! I used about 7-8 gigs per month, and I mainly check becuz I don’t wanna have to pay $30 to get an extra gig if I run out of data 

mtfolks

PM seems to have picked it’s niche and likes to stick to it. I don’t see it happening but who knows. Some of the plan changes they’ve made most recently have arguably been a step backwards if anything, tho. 

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

You do not need to check as system is prepay so no overages possible

On Freedom did you usually use the 8-10GB?

Need Help? Let's chat.