cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hiding my number when calling

samcat
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello, How do I hide my phone number from showing up when I am calling?

I need to make a quick call, but I want to hide my number.

I heard that #31# hides my number. Is this legit? What shows up on their phone when I call?

Is there an additional fee when you use #31# to hide your number when calling?

Does this always work with anyone? For example does it cancel out if the receiver has call display when they receive the call?

Thanks in advance!

11 REPLIES 11

Hi @DonJarby 

As per my post above in this same thread:

• Block outgoing caller ID for all future calls by dialing only: *31#
  • When blocking outgoing caller ID by default, you can enable it "per call" by prefixing *31# to a number (ie: *31#xxxyyyzzzz )

• Allow outgoing caller ID by default for all future calls by dialing only: #31#
  • When allowing outgoing caller ID by default, you can disable it "per call" by prefixing #31# to a number (ie: #31#xxxyyyzzzz )

@DonJarby- Yes the first two below are for one-off dialing.
Don't show number = #31#[phone number]
Show number = *31#[phone number]
Check it's current setting = *#31#

If the check says not restricted then the setting in the dialer is set to show it.

@DonJarby wrote:

Hi. I hid my number by using #31#, thinking it would be only for the one call, but now every one I call sees PN. How do I remove it so that contacts can see my phone number? I have a Samsumg Galaxy S20 FE. 

#31# is only for that one call.  Dialing that code doesn't change the call display setting for your account.  In your calling app, there should be a call setting for showing callier ID.

DonJarby
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi. I hid my number by using #31#, thinking it would be only for the one call, but now every one I call sees PN. How do I remove it so that contacts can see my phone number? I have a Samsumg Galaxy S20 FE. Thanks

There are ways to do it in the phones menus, but here is the definitive way to set/clear outgoing CID blocking using standard GSM codes with Public Mobile on any phone:

• Block outgoing caller ID by default for all future calls by dialing: *31#
  • When blocking outgoing caller ID by default, you can enable it "per call" by prefixing *31# to a number (ie: *31#xxxyyyzzzz )

• Allow outgoing caller ID by default by dialing: #31#
  • When allowing outgoing caller ID by default, you can disable it "per call" by prefixing #31# to a number (ie: #31#xxxyyyzzzz )

@Triguy 

Thanks for that. I have edited my post. You learn something new everyday.🤔

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Use #31# before the phone number.

@darlicious   *67 is only for landlines.

@samcat 

Here is more info on call blocking from telus...

Edit: As corrected by @Triguy *67 is for landlines only your call will not complete on a mobile phone if you use *67. 

Spoiler

Steps to use Per Call Blocking

Per Call Blocking ( *67) prevents your name and number from being displayed when you call someone who has Call Display. The word "private" will be provided on their display instead. It also prevents the person you have called from using Call Return to identify your number or call you back. This is a free service.

Things to keep in mind when using Per Call Blocking:

• Subscribers to Call Display may choose to block calls from numbers marked "private"
  • When placing a collect call or calling an 800 or 900 number, your name and number are provided for billing purposes
  • When calling a person served by a telephone company that does not adhere to the privacy regulations set out by the CRTC (in Canada) or the FCC (in the United States), your name and number may still be provided
  • When leaving a message for a TELUS Voice Mail subscriber, your name and number may be provided

To use Per Call Blocking:

1. Lift the handset and wait for the dial tone
  2. Press * 67 and wait for the dial tone again
  3. Dial the number you wish to call

Troubleshooting Per Call Blocking

If Per Call Blocking isn't working, the most likely reason is that your phone is set to pulse instead of tone. If touch tone is not activated, the system will not recognize * (star) commands. To fix this:

1. On your phone, look for a switch that allows you to set your phone to pulse or tone. The switch is typically located on the side of the phone, or sometimes on the bottom
  2. Switch to tone
  3. Try using Per Call Blocking on another telephone in the home

Per Call Blocking limitations

When the following calls are placed, your name and number may be displayed or given out for billing purposes:

• Collect call
  • 800, 900 or 310 call (310 calls are treated like an 800 call)
  • Cellular phone call

Your name and number may also be given out if you:

• Leave a message on TELUS voicemail
  • Call a person served by a local service provider that does not adhere to privacy regulations
  • Make a long distance call through an alternate long distance provider that does not adhere to privacy regulations

Display of your name and number is more likely to occur if the call is to a number outside of Alberta or B.C.

Anonymous
Not applicable

To hidden your number on iPhone:

1. Go to Settings, tap Phone

2. Press Show My Caller ID

3. Use the toggle switch to show or hide your number

or

To hidden your number on Android:

1. Open the Phone app, and open the Menu

2. Select Settings, then Call settings

3. Click on Additional settings, then Caller ID

4. Choose “Hide number” and your number will be hidden

and for that #31# before the phone number and will hides your number , i do used all time but be careful when you make a call to anyone and if the are not answer it don't let go to voicemail if the going to voicemail they will know your number.

Good Luck

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@samcat   Yes, #31#  is the way to temp. block your number from showing.    This is a  one time outgoing call display block 

Phone settings can also set to hide all outgoing calls, not one time

iPhones have a “show my caller ID” feature in settings if you really want to hide your number, go to Settings>Phone>Show My Caller ID 

Some Android phones: Homescreen go to Apps > Settings > My Device.
Open Call > Call Settings > Additional settings > Caller ID.
Select "Hide number".

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@samcat 

Try *67 before you dial.

Need Help? Let's chat.