cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Whats App Messenger Slow to send and receive messages

tsunami
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi Community looking for some help here. Over the last few months my whatsapp has been slow sending and receiving messages when using data. I am on a 4G LTE data plan. A good 30 second delay. It used to be instant. I have been using the same phone on public mobile, with no new changes. Everything works fine when on Wifi. My phone data saver is not turned on. I have performed some basic checks including, air plane mode on/off, remove and reinstall sim card, reset network settings, restart phone, switch from 4G to 3G.  All the resets did not make a difference. I am in BC. Anyone else have this problem and know the fix?

Thanks!

14 REPLIES 14

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@tsunami wrote:

@srlawren, When did this start happening to you? Are you in BC as well?

@tsunami yes I am.  To be honest, I don't remember exactly when I first noticed it, but it's at least a few weeks now.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

tsunami

@srlawren, When did this start happening to you? Are you in BC as well?

tsunami

@stevenanto, I have forced close what's app. No change. 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@tsunami I'm actually experiencing this on Koodo (PM's sister company, also owned and operated by Telus, on the same network) when out and about.  When I send a message, I will get the hour-glass icon for quite some time before getting the first checkmark, when on mobile data.  It seems that toggling mobile data off and back on again (via quick toggle in Android notification shade), it seems to entice the message to send.  That's been my workaround and I've not spent any time trying to properly resolve it just yet.  I'd love to hear back if the moderators are able to identify any issue for you.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@tsunami 

It seems you have tried all settings and options to address the difference in experience between data and Wi-Fi usage. 

I would recommend contacting moderators to seek feedback regarding data settings in the event there may be an account setting they may be able to make.

To contact a moderator, there are 2 methods:

1. Use the ticketing system for a faster response time. Click here and type moderator assistance, then select account-related issue, then select you need a human now.  Follow the prompts to submit a ticket,  or, 
  2. Send a private message to the moderator by clicking here  You’ll need to be logged into your Community account for the link to work.

Watch for their response in your Community private mailbox which will be indicated by a number on the small envelope icon to the left of your Community avatar.

stevenanto
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Have you ever tried to force close the app and then reopening it?

Ive had the same issues with facebook and then sometimes it just crashes and shuts down (especially when scrolling through maketplace). 

TheGx
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@tsunami :It also could be a whatapp problem being getting slower and slower as it spies more and more on you, as opposed to other apps that don't collect information from it's users like many apps developed by believers in the Worldwide Privacy Movement.

@tsunami wrote:

@will13am In regards to my browser (google chrome), works fine with no delay in loading web pages.  I have noticed many times when replying to cragslist ads via the "reply button" an error occurs consistently. Again problem goes away when on Wifi. Google chrome and whats app are both up to data with latest versions and have been deleted and reinstalled. No change

Phone data saver is turned off

All whats app permissions are being allowed

Whats app back ground data allowed

As Wi-Fi connections give you no problems, this could be a routing issue, or there could be a localized network issue. Things that happen intermitentlyu can be difficult to diagnose.

@tsunami wrote:

@will13am In regards to my browser (google chrome), works fine with no delay in loading web pages.  I have noticed many times when replying to cragslist ads via the "reply button" an error occurs consistently. Again problem goes away when on Wifi. Google chrome and whats app are both up to data with latest versions and have been deleted and reinstalled. No change

This looks like a tough nut to crack.  The network does not care what app is using data, its performance is determined by things like signal strength and tower congestion.  If just one app can draw data without issue, then so can all other apps.  

tsunami

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@tsunami , are you experiencing the samen ~30 second delays if you run your browser on mobile data?  If not, then I would say the issue is not with the mobile network.  Make sure the latest version of whatsapp is installed.  Try force closing the app, deleting app cache and restarting the app.  

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Make sure your data saver is off as well.

edit: was beaten to it.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

did you check if power safe mode was turned on ?? (should be off)

also ensure background data is enabled for whatsapp..

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@tsunami LTE has been pretty bad for me too with browser lagging on social media websites etc. 

if it only happens intermittently try enable/disable airplane mode to reconnect to a closer tower

Need Help? Let's chat.