cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help - Choose Local Calling Area Not-Functioning

qupie
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Trying to activate a sim card but getting stuck on stage two (Choose a Phone Number) of the activation process.  When I try to select a calling area from the drop down menu there are no options available.  This means that I cannot choose a phone number and since I am not porting a number this means that I cannot complete the activation process.  I have replicated this on a Windows PC, on Google Chrome, on Internet Explorer, on an Ipad, on a Macbook Pro with Safari.  I have cleared cache and deleted history and restarted browsers each time.  This problem cannot be on my end.  Can someone please help so I can finish my activation?

9 REPLIES 9

Vani

Vani
Hi
I have same problem.please anyone help me
Thanks
Vani

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@qupie, I am very happy to hear that the issue was narrowed down to the 11 character limit on the name you enter.

I just happened to learn it from someone else's experience, and yes, it has been confirmed since then, that it is an 11-cahracter limit.. but the textbox allows entry beyond 11 characters and that causes error.  

qupie

Hi @imm1304

Thanks for the ideas.  I now know what the problem was.  My wife's last name is hyphenated so it is over 11 letters long.  Once I took off the second last name...boom it worked!!!!  That was the only difference.  It wasn't the browser.  It wasn't being ingotnito.  It was the last name being too long.  

I actually activated one sim card about a week ago without any problem whatsoever on the same computers that I was trying to do today.  The difference then is that it was my last name which is exactly 11 letters long (but that worked) so 11 letters might be the cut-off for this working and not working.  

I bow down to you for knowing about the 11 letters long.  That seems to be the crucial piece.  

Thanks...SIM activated.

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hi @qupie,

Try this:  Select a different province in your address..  this opens up the option for those stuck in similar situation.  You are still able to select the local region/number etc.  Then once your line is active, you can go back and update your address in selfserve.  

Also, make sure the first name etered is not more than 11 characters long.  

EDIT:  Also, don't keep trying different things in the same window.  Close the browser, then start your browser again and try.  Not much logic, but I always use new incognito window in Chrome browser for each activation attempt.    

qupie

Thanks to everyone for responding.  I tried the suggestions from the other thread about turning off the pop-up blocker and trying French.  Neither worked.  The other kicker in this is that I tried a second SIM card that I plan on setting up and I am getting the exact same result with that SIM card as well.  This can't be a problem on my end can it?

imcphers
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

This thread has a few other suggestions such as switching to French and disabling pop-up ad blocker

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Activate-Unable-to-select-local-callin...

Cypm
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

sorry to hear that i agree your points i believe it is not your end problem. unfortately the mod is offline now. they will be back tomrrow at 9am eastern time. 

hummuschips
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Do you need to activate it tonight?  If not, I suggest you wait until morning 

Need Help? Let's chat.