cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello Oracles! I have a few questions for you 😊

Poogzley
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hello @Luddite @NDesai @ShawnC13 @will13am @mimmo @stonechucker @computergeek541 @SD08,

Firstly I would like to thank you for the fantastic work you for the Public Mobile community, you are a big part of what makes this community so helpful and welcoming.

I have known for a while now that you are not Public Mobile employees but I had always assumed that you where somehow payed for your work. Only after reading this article today did I find out about how public Mobile rewards you:

• Access to new Community features, and the exclusive Oracle group.
  • A welcome package filled with unique swag and cool goodies!
  • Being the first to know about official Public Mobile news.
  • Sneak-peeks at new Public Mobile projects and initiatives.
  • The respect and admiration of the Community.
  • And last, but not least, a $20 Community Reward every 30 days!

I am surprised to see that they only pay you 20$ every 30 days, this seem surprisingly low considering that at least one of you seem to be online at any given time and are almost always the first to respond. This makes me wonder why do you do it? Why are you so loyal to Public Mobile? How do you manage to find the time to meet the requirements of Oracle? How many hours do you spend online each day/week? How do you manage to maintain a good work/life balance? I hope you do not take offence to these questions, I am genuinely curious as to how you do it. From my personal experience interacting with you I truly believe that you deserve much better treatment and compensation, I find that your service is better than that of the Moderator Team who often take hours if not days to respond.

19 REPLIES 19

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@SD08 wrote:

@Jb456 wrote:

@SD08 wrote:

@Luddite wrote:

I'm here just for the loot. Robot wink

Here I am dreaming of all the ways to spend it.

Screenshot 2019-06-04 at 9.32.17 PM.png

Yes, loot.*

PMLoot_Jan2019.jpg

*I ate the smoked meat sandwich before I remembered to take a photo.  Smiley Tongue

Is this the Oracle welcome gift that you guys get? (Minus the scarf that you said in another post)

@Jb456   Basically, yes.  I think most of us got a small treat as well, such as candy.

Candy is well deserved guys! Thank you for what you do 🙂

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Jb456 wrote:

@SD08 wrote:

@Luddite wrote:

Yes, loot.*

PMLoot_Jan2019.jpg

*I ate the smoked meat sandwich before I remembered to take a photo.  Smiley Tongue

Is this the Oracle welcome gift that you guys get? (Minus the scarf that you said in another post)

@Jb456   Basically, yes.  I think most of us got a small treat as well, such as candy.

@Jb456  Lol...oh the memories! A community neophyte I was barely a week in.....

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@SD08 wrote:

@Luddite wrote:

Yes, loot.*

PMLoot_Jan2019.jpg

srlawren

@ShawnC13 wrote:

After I signed up I poured a ton of time into reading and answering questions and must say that a large share of the knowledge I pass forward is from @srlawren  and @Luddite, they were a huge help to me when I first joined up answering my questions and private messages. 

@ShawnC13 thanks for the nod!  I would have to give credit to @Luddite as well, along with uhh I forget his full handle but it was 778-something!, and of course our departed friend @Martin (RIP, old friend!).  I think between the 3 of them I learned 90+% of what I know here today.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Very insightful oracles. It's great to see your enthusiasm has not waned since discovering and switching to pm. Personally it was an eureka moment when I found pm. Especially after signing a contract with fido to get my boyfriend a phone...something I never do. That lead to over a year of frustration with overbilling, confusing bills and a completely useless community. I spent an entire day trying to get answers to a host of problems only to get "nothing matches your enquiry". The only match I got was to "Why is fido so f#2xx?**d ? Needless to say I am very excited to promote and learn all about pm. I'm all questions now but I hope to help supply answers in the future. And I've made it my personal mission to switch as many fido customers as possible. Even with buying out the phone from fido with six months left the savings over 6 months is over $175. Well done oracles...

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@Poogzley I appreciate your interest in knowing what we do and why. When i joined the community about 4 years ago, my instant reaction was to just help around. Back then we had no idea how this community will evolve. Once i got to know more about the community, i just fell in love with PM. Just from being around, i learned a lot about telecoms and all. Back then i had way more time to spare while in school (those boring lectures lol). But now, the community has grown and i don't always get to help around Smiley Sad

One benefit i love about being an Oracle is that i get to know a bit about business side of things as we have access to private Oracles only board. That is where we interact with some staff members and see their approach on how they want to lift Public Mobile by sharing with us and gathering feeback from us. Other than that, $20 is a bonus as it used to be $10 Smiley Happy  

@Poogzley wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@Luddite deserves an honorable mention here for getting us a raise!

@will13am what did he/she do?

He got us a raise.  The oracle stipend was lower previously if you can believe that.  

SD08

@computergeek541 wrote:

@SD08 wrote:
Yes, loot.*

PMLoot_Jan2019.jpg

What's that white towel or bag that your cup is sitting on?

@computergeek541  It's actually a scarf. Though now that I think of it, that didn't come as part of the oracle welcome kit.  I received it instead as a prize during PM's 2018 holiday contest.  But still...loot.  Smiley Happy

@SD08 wrote:

@Luddite wrote:

Yes, loot.*

PMLoot_Jan2019.jpg

What's that white towel or bag that your cup is sitting on?

Poogzley

@will13am wrote:

@Luddite deserves an honorable mention here for getting us a raise!

@will13am what did he/she do?

SD08

@Luddite wrote:

Yes, loot.*

PMLoot_Jan2019.jpg

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

Great question and loved reading the answers.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Poogzley, I totally appreciate the accolades.  I echo similar sentiments as my fellow oracles on why I am here.  One thing I definitely don't come here for is the "$20/month job" which used to be less if you can believe that!  @Luddite deserves an honorable mention here for getting us a raise!  I digress.  If this were a job, Telus would have broken every labor law in the country!  I am here to support the brand, at least the brand that I fuly embraced back in fall 2016.  While Public Mobile has taken on an evolutionary path that I don't always agree with, they continue to be the better of the available alternatives.  I will continue to have a presence here so long as the symbiotic relationship makes sense.  I have met some very nice people along the way, both online and in person, and there have been few regrets.  

@Poogzley 

Thanks

I woudln't say that I'm loyal, at least not to the point where Public Mobile could do anything without me saying anything.  Sure, I'll sometimes give them the benefit of the doubt, but there are things that need improvement.

As for the $20 discount, there are much faster ways to make that.  Many could go to a workplace and make that it an hour or even get more than that it a day of returning shopping carts or recyclables.

I'm here because I want to be.  Some people watch a movie during their spare time. That's not to say that some of us don't watch that movie, or play sports, or whatever you can think of, but just that this Community has become a part of a routine.

As to the frustration that Oracles feel, sometimes I wish that things would get fixed more quickly, and on the Community side of things,  one thing that drives me up the wall is when people give solutions to themselves or replies to threads 24 hours later with the exact same answer as the pevious person- I'm not takling about the odd mistake where someone doesn't see something, but rather when it starts becoming the norm.  Members also shouldn't think that it's not noticed when certain annoucement threads turn into "let's ask the same quetsion 30 times because no one will notice and it'll earn rewards".

It's not all frustrating.  There are many good conversations amongst ourselves and with others in the Community. Oracles often gets first grabs at site testing and surveys and the such, but none of that is mandatory.

Truthfully, it would be much easier to sit back and come here fairly regularly (but less than we do now) and still earn about $10 for a Community reward, but also wouldn't be as much fun. 

Poogzley

@goldilock wrote:

@Poogzley I think it's sort of rude to ask oracles why don't they invest their time in other projects or hobbies?  It's very judgement to assume that they don't already have other hobbies or projects or interests, which I am sure they all do. Most probably have full time jobs, families, and other commitments, but they dedicate some of their time and knowledge to help the public mobile community. 

@goldilock  I did not intend my question to be rude nor do I doubt that the Oracles have other hobbies, I was just wondering about how they manage to spend so much time contributing to the community. It seems that the title of oracle has a huge time commitment associated with it and I just wanted to find out what motivates them and how they manage to be so active. Obviously it is there choice how they invest their time but speeking for myself If where to contribute as much time as they do to the PM Community I would not have any free time left after my day at school and work. 

@ShawnC13 @ wrote:

As for other hobbies I do invest time in them I golf a couple times a month I get out and cycle weekly and this past weekend I just participated in my 11 Ride to Conquer Cancer and pedaled 222 Km.  I am an executive with my Union Local and the President of my kid's school PAC.  I like to help out wherever I can.

I truely admire people like @ShawnC13 who are able to find free enough time to give back. Finding a good work/life balance is hard and being able to maintain it is impressive.

@goldilock wrote:

Not everyone has a "what is in it for me" attitude as motivation for doing something.  I am sure it's very rewarding for them to be able to help others, as all of us who participate in the community like to contribute to help other public mobile customers and be a part of a company that offers low cellular prices and ways that reward customers for loyalty, participating in the community etc. and it's nice to get some community rewards discount as a bonus.

I wouldn't mind getting $20 month discount! I wouldn't complain.  Sure it would be nice if they got more of a reward, but no one has a gun to their head forcing them to do it.  They obviously do it because they like to do it and like to help, and to share their knowledge with others, and it's paying it forward, so those of us who learn from them, can help otheres and more people benefit when they aren't around. 

I do agree that you do not always need to benefit and have no doubt that the work is rewarding, however seeing how much they do around here I feel like Public Mobile should reward them with more. I feel that with all they do to help out the comunity (Public Mobile's own paying customer) that they deserve more. I mean I have never once received a post response from the Moderator Team but I can bet that everyone one here has interacted with the Oracles at least once. If I where at PM I would feel that the least I could do is offer them the best plan for free!

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Poogzley wrote:

Hello @Luddite @NDesai @ShawnC13 @will13am @mimmo @stonechucker @computergeek541 @SD08,

Firstly I would like to thank you for the fantastic work you for the Public Mobile community, you are a big part of what makes this community so helpful and welcoming.

I have known for a while now that you are not Public Mobile employees but I had always assumed that you where somehow payed for your work. Only after reading this article today did I find out about how public Mobile rewards you:

• Access to new Community features, and the exclusive Oracle group.
  • A welcome package filled with unique swag and cool goodies!
  • Being the first to know about official Public Mobile news.
  • Sneak-peeks at new Public Mobile projects and initiatives.
  • The respect and admiration of the Community.
  • And last, but not least, a $20 Community Reward every 30 days!

I am surprised to see that they only pay you 20$ every 30 days, this seem surprisingly low considering that at least one of you seem to be online at any given time and are almost always the first to respond. This makes me wonder why do you do it? Why are you so loyal to Public Mobile? How do you manage to find the time to meet the requirements of Oracle? Why don't you invest all this time into other personal projects or hobbies? I hope you do not take offence to these questions, I am genuinely curious as to how you do it. From my personal experience interacting with you I truly believe that you deserve much better treatment and compensation, I find that your service is better than that of the Moderator Team who often take hours if not days to respond.

@Poogzley  great questions and I can only speak for myself on this as each of us is very different.  I knew nothing about PM until their Fall promo of 2016.  I did a huge amount of reading in a short period of time and really liked the idea of the business model PM was taking.  After I signed up I poured a ton of time into reading and answering questions and must say that a large share of the knowledge I pass forward is from @srlawren  and @Luddite, they were a huge help to me when I first joined up answering my questions and private messages.  I was able to make the top reward spot (non-Oracle) my very first month and did that for 13 straight months before becoming an Oracle.  I do this because I want this type of community-based service to work and to go to other services.  As you have read there are many issues that can be resolved by the community and that leaves the major issues to the customer support moderators.  Why do I stay loyal to public mobile, well the service has never completely failed me, they give me rewards for being a loyal customer of $1/30 days for every year I am with them, they reward me for helping out and I have been able to get my bill down to $1-2 /30 days depending on how my referrals are going.   Add to that when the $25 referral program was going I was able to add some money to available funds I have a cell phone plan that has become self-sufficient for a period of time.  I have found that I do not put in as much time as I used to but now there are many more active users who are also helping out which is a double-edged sword.  It is great that the information can get to the customer quickly but at the same time we really need to make sure that the information is accurate and correct for the situation.  A response of "You need to message the Mods" doesn't help.  Sometimes that is what ends up happening but people should ask the OP for more details of what is actually going on if they feel/know that it is something the community can help with.  As for other hobbies I do invest time in them I golf a couple times a month I get out and cycle weekly and this past weekend I just participated in my 11 Ride to Conquer Cancer and pedaled 222 Km.  I am an executive with my Union Local and the President of my kid's school PAC.  I like to help out wherever I can.

At times being an Oracle is very frustrating seeing issues not get resolved and to still be dealing with them years later and the direction of Public Mobile now being a "Competitive Responder" to promos is really heartbreaking when they were the innovators and the disruption in the Cell Phone industry.  I just like underdogs lol I even ran a Windows OS phone for years.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

goldilock

@Poogzley I think it's sort of rude to ask oracles why don't they invest their time in other projects or hobbies?  It's very judgement to assume that they don't already have other hobbies or projects or interests, which I am sure they all do. Most probably have full time jobs, families, and other commitments, but they dedicate some of their time and knowledge to help the public mobile community.  Not everyone has a "what is in it for me" attitude as motivation for doing something.  I am sure it's very rewarding for them to be able to help others, as all of us who participate in the community like to contribute to help other public mobile customers and be a part of a company that offers low cellular prices and ways that reward customers for loyalty, participating in the community etc. and it's nice to get some community rewards discount as a bonus.

I wouldn't mind getting $20 month discount! I wouldn't complain.  Sure it would be nice if they got more of a reward, but no one has a gun to their head forcing them to do it.  They obviously do it because they like to do it and like to help, and to share their knowledge with others, and it's paying it forward, so those of us who learn from them, can help otheres and more people benefit when they aren't around. 

Need Help? Let's chat.