Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heat Wave in B.C.

Martin
Legend
Legend

To chuk and other PM customers in B.C.:

If you are in the lower mainland or interior, stay cool, stay hydrated, and avoid the sun during peak hours this weekend.

Good luck!

24 REPLIES 24

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Martin wrote:
Hi chuk,

I have an interesting story to tell you about the spelling of cheque vs. check.

Several years ago, a friend in South Carolina, who invested in Canadian and American stocks, sent me the actual cheque that he had received from a Canadian company. He sent it because he did not recognize the company as being part of his portfolio. Since it was for a substantial amount, he wanted to know if it was legitimate or not, so he sent it to me for further investigation. The cheque looked perfect, its feeling was that of a legitimate cheque, there was nothing to indicate that it was bogus except for the fact that there was a warning on the back of the cheque about how to spot a fraudulent cheque. Unfortunately for the fraudsters, they spelled cheque as check, which clearly indicated that it could not have come from the Canadian company. Just to make sure, I called the bank, and they told me that the account was legitimate, but that rubber cheques were being written on that account.

So, when it came to cheque vs. check, the American spelling was the blatant sign that the cheque was bogus.

@LOL @ the fraudsters!

I would have also immediately noted something like that, also you being an ex cop probably played a Role in your judgment but a normal person wouldn't have noticed something like that. Nonetheless Funny Story.

Just me Making an Old-fashioned Joke

Martin
Legend
Legend
makkahn28,

I don't understand your play on words. I therefore cannot answer it.

@Martin, If the Cheque on the Right is Correct, and the Check on the Left is False, How you Cheque the Check for its credentials so that its not Checking you out on Cheque-day?

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi chuk,

I have an interesting story to tell you about the spelling of cheque vs. check.

Several years ago, a friend in South Carolina, who invested in Canadian and American stocks, sent me the actual cheque that he had received from a Canadian company. He sent it because he did not recognize the company as being part of his portfolio. Since it was for a substantial amount, he wanted to know if it was legitimate or not, so he sent it to me for further investigation. The cheque looked perfect, its feeling was that of a legitimate cheque, there was nothing to indicate that it was bogus except for the fact that there was a warning on the back of the cheque about how to spot a fraudulent cheque. Unfortunately for the fraudsters, they spelled cheque as check, which clearly indicated that it could not have come from the Canadian company. Just to make sure, I called the bank, and they told me that the account was legitimate, but that rubber cheques were being written on that account.

So, when it came to cheque vs. check, the American spelling was the blatant sign that the cheque was bogus.

LOL @ the fraudsters!

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi chuk,

We're not close in age.

Before switching to kph, all speed limits and signs were in mph only.

The Canadian spelling is cheque. Do schools actually allow cheque to be spelled as check? If not, and if younger people nevertheless spell it as check, it's due to new computers being defaulted to American spelling, hence check instead of cheque, traveler instead of traveller, and so on.

chukdefatey
I also grew up here but I guess we are not even close to be being in the same age category. I actually did not know that Canada switched from F to C for whether, so did they also switch to KM from Miles? Did Canada also spell Check instead of cheque back in the day when you were in School

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi chuk,

As a child, I learned to read and understand temperatures in F* only.

As an adult, when Canada switched to the metric system, I had to learn to think in C* when it came to temperatures.

I switch from the Metric to Imperial system from time to time, especially when speaking with a person of a certain age who obviously grew up with the Imperial system, such as F*, mph, gallons, inches, etc.

Cheers!

chukdefatey
^ The reason why I assumed you were an American is because you used Fernhiate instead of celicius

Martin
Legend
Legend
PublicAdmin1,

Thank you for the Bravo. Much appreciated!

During the Hippies? Antonio Montana forgot you, before his untimely adios via The Skull. Wonder, Do you still Miss the Hippies?

Martin
Legend
Legend
makkahn28,

I lived there in 1968, during my Hippie years. At that time, before Coconut Grove was gentrified, everything was very reasonably priced.

Hi. @Martin, you were at the Grove? How did you get that kind of $$$? Even Al Pacino, aka Antonio Montana, didn't give his own sis that type of $$$ to live in the Grove. I envy You

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi chuk,

I'm proudly Canadian, born and raised here.

With regard to the States, I spent 6 months living in Coconut Grove, which was part of the city of Miami. I also spent close to 7 weeks in Acapulco, Mexico.

chukdefatey
^Are you an American or lived in the US?

Martin
Legend
Legend

Hi chuk,

I can only speak for the GTA and surrounding cities. In them, the vast majority have air conditioning because it would be deadly without it. With the humidex reaching 110* F. / 43.3* C. several times during late summer, there are always newspaper reports of an elderly or poor person being found dead due to lack of air conditioning.

chukdefatey
^Correct but I heard in Ontario most do. Is that correct?

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi chuk,

Am I correct in saying that most homes and apartments in the GVA don't have air conditioning?

chukdefatey
Oh man was it Boiling Hot, I have never felt that much heat in the Metro Vancouver Region , even at 5pm it was like 32 Celecius according to my Phone

chukdefatey

@Martin wrote:
chuk,

Raincouver is expecting a heat wave, and this weekend will deliver 30 to 60 centimetres of rain to many parts of Ontario, with gusts up to 80 kph.

Nuts!

It sure does rain here a lot & it makes me sick. I hate it more then I hate Voicemail

Martin
Legend
Legend
Edited: Change centimetres to millimetres. Yikes! With 60 centimetres, Noah's Ark would be necessary.

Martin
Legend
Legend
chuk,

Raincouver is expecting a heat wave, and this weekend will deliver 30 to 60 centimetres of rain to many parts of Ontario, with gusts up to 80 kph.

Nuts!

chukdefatey
^Yep, We have had some of the hottest whether lately. But during the day I am mostly indoor so it's all good

DK
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
Chuk's posts will be hot this weekend.
Need Help? Let's chat.