cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
Highlighted
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Re: Has anyone else done a comparison between carriers?

Brain Freeze.

$35 was the cost when I switched.

At that time $40 for 5 Gb. was a treat.

Still the best value $40 plan

Highlighted
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Re: Has anyone else done a comparison between carriers?

Your Telus plan is a lot cheaper than what I paid for Bell and Rogers when I had my own plan. I also had free from 7p.m. to 7a.m. anytime minutes, 5 favourite numbers local free, call waiting, forwarding, voice mail, callerID, conference calling. I don't recall the number of anytime minutes, but the price was more than $35. There was no loyalty discount. I changed to unlimited incoming and outgoing and no data still for the longest time. When I first used Koodo, I had no data on my plan and then got 2 GB. I eventually got the 10 GB of data promo deal with unlimited incoming/outgoing, voice mail, callerID, conference calling, forwarding, and call waiting. I had to use wifi for the longest time. I used to be on a family plan and that time I didn't need the phone that much. That was before smart phones were available.

Highlighted
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Re: Has anyone else done a comparison between carriers?

I paid like $45 plus tax before and also $50 plus tax, $60 plus tax before switching to Public Mobile. I noticed my bill was almost $70 a month with the taxes. Due to my situation, I needed to cut costs and just happened my friend recommended that I go with Public Mobile. My family was already on it before I decided to change. Even though my brother told me months before, I didn't decided to change until end of last month and didn't know about the $50 plan with 8.5 GB. I think it was the right time since now I qualified for more discounts without knowing it and yet I want to try to get more savings.

Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: Has anyone else done a comparison between carriers?


@popping wrote:

PM is a god sent provider for parents everywhere.  You can tell you kid that your plan has this and this... If you used all your plan data after 3 weeks, you will be on wifi data diet for the rest of this month.  

 

Also as a parent, I would put Lucky Mobile slightly ahead.  "You have this much data per month, after you exceed that, your problem with how slow it got".   

 

Data communication to me, being more important than text.  The ability to use maps, find my iphone and such.


 

Highlighted
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Re: Has anyone else done a comparison between carriers?


@iPhoneUser wrote:

So when I figured out Telus prepaid to PM......PM was a little less “COMPARED” to the Telus usage.

 

But look how much MORE I gained 100 outbound minutes free, 250 mb of data, all inbound minutes free, all texts unlimited free per every 30 days. AND no long distance charges as all minutes are Canada wide. Texting includes pic texting and texts are international.


And with the $15 plan, since those 100 minutes are only "outgoing", they go much farther than Lucky Mobile. Currently outgoing calls to toll-free numbers also don't consume minutes, making them go even further! (unofficially)

 

I spent half an hour on the phone calling Bell satellite TV support this weekend, without using any of my minutes! 👍

Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: Has anyone else done a comparison between carriers?


@mobileuser wrote:

@popping wrote:

PM is a god sent provider for parents everywhere.  You can tell you kid that your plan has this and this... If you used all your plan data after 3 weeks, you will be on wifi data diet for the rest of this month.  

 

Also as a parent, I would put Lucky Mobile slightly ahead.  "You have this much data per month, after you exceed that, your problem with how slow it got".   

 

Data communication to me, being more important than text.  The ability to use maps, find my iphone and such.


 


Be a responsible parent and be careful with data available to children. As a grand parent I can see with some children data and internet and a smart phone or tablet is their enemy and can lead to huge mental health issues.....something they don’t need to contend with growing up and attending school. Control the use. 

Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: Has anyone else done a comparison between carriers?


@Nezgar wrote:

@iPhoneUser wrote:

So when I figured out Telus prepaid to PM......PM was a little less “COMPARED” to the Telus usage.

 

But look how much MORE I gained 100 outbound minutes free, 250 mb of data, all inbound minutes free, all texts unlimited free per every 30 days. AND no long distance charges as all minutes are Canada wide. Texting includes pic texting and texts are international.


And with the $15 plan, since those 100 minutes are only "outgoing", they go much farther than Lucky Mobile. Currently outgoing calls to toll-free numbers also don't consume minutes, making them go even further! (unofficially)

 

I spent half an hour on the phone calling Bell satellite TV support this weekend, without using any of my minutes! 👍


Yes I like when I call an  800 number using PM it does NOT count against your 100 minutes!!

 

Also consider....

 

Public Mobile suggested add-ons for $15 monthly plan.

 

If you want to be frugal and flexible this is my suggestion.

 

Buy the $15 monthly plan.

 

For add-ons.

 

GOOD COMBINATION. More flexibility, less overall cost.

2 x $5 add-on (1 cent/min.) 500 Canada-wide Long Distance minutes

1 x $15 add-on (3.75 cent/min.) 400 International Long Distance minutes add-on this gives you full calling LD including USA, Canada and International for less cost per minute than using the $8 add-on. 

=======

$25

 

 

NOT SO GOOD COMBINATION.

2 x $5 add-on (1 cent/min.) 500 Canada-wide Long Distance minutes

1 x $8 add-on (4 cent/min.) 200 U.S. & Canada Long Distance minutes

1 x $15 (3.75 cent/min.) 400 International Long Distance minutes add-on.

=======

$33 Total

 

 

Note the $5, $8, and $15 add-on would all kick in for Local/Canada Wide calls if your allotted minutes were all used up. This applies to the $15 monthly plan only.

 

The reason for 2 x $5 add-ons, assuming most of your calls are Canada Wide, is......once 1 x $5 is used up and you are now using the second $5 add-on ......buy another $5 add-on. 8

 

The $15 add-on is less cost per minute than the $8 add-on (<=less value) and the $15 add-on does same and much more than the $8 add-on (<=less value). 

 

Note: The add ons I have mentioned do NOT expire until all the minutes have been used.....the unused minutes roll over month to month until all exhausted.

 

 

 

 

Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: Has anyone else done a comparison between carriers?


@iPhoneUser wrote:

@mobileuser wrote:

@popping wrote:

PM is a god sent provider for parents everywhere.  You can tell you kid that your plan has this and this... If you used all your plan data after 3 weeks, you will be on wifi data diet for the rest of this month.  

 

Also as a parent, I would put Lucky Mobile slightly ahead.  "You have this much data per month, after you exceed that, your problem with how slow it got".   

 

Data communication to me, being more important than text.  The ability to use maps, find my iphone and such.


 


Be a responsible parent and be careful with data available to children. As a grand parent I can see with some children data and internet and a smart phone or tablet is their enemy and can lead to huge mental health issues.....something they don’t need to contend with growing up and attending school. Control the use. 


That's not supported by any research that I've read. Do you have something else I could peruse or is this perpetuating an old wives tale that's carried over from the tv era?

Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: Has anyone else done a comparison between carriers?

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2211335518301827 

 

I mean, yeah it does seem to have some studies backing the idea of it.

 

My daughters spend too long on devices, not just cellphones.  I make them leave them downstairs at bedtime, the wifi shuts itself down at their respective bedtimes and I have their PS4 and PC times limited daily by schedule management 

Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: Has anyone else done a comparison between carriers?


@mobileuser wrote:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2211335518301827 

 

I mean, yeah it does seem to have some studies backing the idea of it.

 

My daughters spend too long on devices, not just cellphones.  I make them leave them downstairs at bedtime, the wifi shuts itself down at their respective bedtimes and I have their PS4 and PC times limited daily by schedule management 


https://www.newcastle.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0014/100292/V10_johnson.pdf

 

This is one of many that seem to suggest it doesn't. It appears to be the same as it used to be with television. "It's not THAT you're watching, it's WHAT you're watching." Even then, it seems to be a loose correlation without much insight to other environmental factors, the study you linked being especially egregious. That one seems to suggest a correlation based on how the caregivers perceive it, rather than any objective measurement.