cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone else done a comparison between carriers?

ckkong
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I noticed a lot of companies require a phone to be purchased with their plans. I figured out the cost for paying for the Koodo plan with a tab equates to the purchase of a new phone. People may not have realized that they are buying the phone over the contract period. Though Koodo is called a non-contract phone provider, when I changed to the promo $60 plan for 10 GB data and all things unlimited including caller ID and voice mail I had to pay the remaining balance of my phone. The phone was covered originally by the Tab, but has to be paid over for the period of at least 2 years if you are on the small tab. The more expensive the phone the more larger tab you pay a month over that 2-3 years. For most people, its cheaper than buying the phone full price, but if you don't really like the phone then its not a good deal. I had an Samsung A5 on that plan and then I found another phone that I liked better, which I had to pay a price for since it was not bought from Koodo at that time. They told me that I cannot get a free phone on the tab anymore because this $60 promo plan is already the best deal that they can offer. The truth is because I use wifi most of the time I don't use the full 10 GB data. At most, I used over half of it. Bell and Rogers was worse when I used them because I paid more and didn't have as many services. Koodo has been my longest provider until I learned about Public Mobile being more affordable and rewarding its customers is very important now. I am glad to change carriers to save money.

41 REPLIES 41

mobileuser
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My accounts are still with Lucky Mobile, they still have unlimited data cap.  The way that works is that you get X amount of data at 3Mbps (Public Mobile's and Lucky's full speed).  Once you pass that X amount of data, you still have the ability to use the Internet, but at a greatly reduced speed.

Before reducing the speed, videos are no problem.
After reducing the speed, you're looking at e-mail, messaging and facebook being usable.  Youtube, not really.

It's the same concept that Telus, Bell and Rogers use on their plans.
If Public offered the same, I'd consider coming back.

ckkong

That's good to know

@BODY 

IF you just signed up with Public Mobile in the last 2 or 3 years you DIDN’T have unlimited data. As someone else said...confusion over some promo maybe. Some Promos over the last couple of years have given bonus data for several months, or more frequently have given a data add-on that is a single block of data (likely between 1GB and 5 GB) that kicks in if you use up all of your data in the 30 day plan you are on helping you through to your next renewal when you get a new batch of plan data. But thats it. Yo need to figure out what you had so you can determine if you really are in bad shape without it now as maybe you finally used it all up.

Public Mobile has been real good about giving away blocks of this add-on data to all customers on occasion rather than giving dead slow unlimited data. It is a different way of doing things but avoids taking the already throttled data that third tier providers have and then throttling it EVEN MORE and calling it “unlimited data”. Frequently users report that it is virtually useless it is so slow.

JMHO AE_Collector

@BODY 

Public mobile had nevet offered unlimited data since its inception over 10 years ago. I am not sure what plan you are on but if you activated around Christmas time when a 5gb data add on was offered as part of pm's promotion for new activations of $25+ plans as well as a "more the merrier" 2gb data add on gift from pm available thru your account then you probably have been merrily using up your plan data each month and dipping into your add ons for continous, uninterrupted data service that seemed like unlimited data but you have now actually hit your limit.

All other providers offer unlimited data that once you hit your plan limit is throttled to as low as 64kbps with chatr up to 512kbps with the top tier big three and the standout Sasktel at an impressive 2mbps. But you will pay more for the most part with these mobile providers and you are still subject to fair use limits and possible roaming fees and data overage charges like koodo's impressive $130/1gb overage charges.

By all means if you feel you can get a better deal elsewhere for "unlimited data" then port your numbers out of pm but I suggest you pay better attention to your usage and read the small print of your new service agreement or you just might suffer from "bill shock" when and if you get dinged with most other provider's extra fees , overages and extra billing charges that do not exist here at public mobile. Except the shock that you misunderstood how public mobile works and when you do run out of data here public mobile simply cuts off your access to data until you purchase a data add on ( that rolls over each 30 days until completely consumed) or you renew early.

@BODY wrote:

So I wonder... WHY did I have Unlimited Data when I first signed up with PM. Js a Scam or wth 

Im Not Happy !!!!!

Good question. When did you sign up for unlimted data ? How much were you paying on that plan ?

BODY
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

So I wonder... WHY did I have Unlimited Data when I first signed up with PM. Js a Scam or wth 

Im Not Happy !!!!!

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@BODY wrote:

Ha I had Unlimited Data when I 1st got my plan here with public mobile so I bought 2 more cells for my Grandchildren Bang.... lol unlimited data is Gonzo & now MY Unlimited Data is GONE as of today!!!! Wth I am NOT a Happy camper 

so I will be taking all 3 of my cells elsewhere after this payment ends TY very much bye bye 

@BODY    When did you get your plan that offered this unlimited data?  Sorry, but I've never heard of unlimited data ever being offered at PM unless there's some very old grandfathered plans where it was given, although I've never heard anyone mention that either.

But if unlimited data is important for you, then yes you can get that from the other providers and luckily with PM there is no contract to worry about as you only prepay for 30 days.

@BODY wrote:

Ha I had Unlimited Data when I 1st got my plan here with public mobile so I bought 2 more cells for my Grandchildren Bang.... lol unlimited data is Gonzo & now MY Unlimited Data is GONE as of today!!!! Wth I am NOT a Happy camper 

so I will be taking all 3 of my cells elsewhere after this payment ends TY very much bye bye 

It looks like you started a PM account in 2021...I don't ever remember seeing anything about Unlimited data being on any plan, at any time. Maybe you mis-interpreted what you were signing up for.

We'll still be here when you get back.

BODY

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@BODY wrote:

But do you have Unlimited data ??

@BODY   Sorry, no unlimited data at PM and very unlikely to be anytime soon, although it's always possible sometime in the future I guess.

BODY

But do you have Unlimited data ??

@Karnbot13 

In my opinion previous to reading the two studies presented by yourself and @mobileuser I would think there is a significant cause and effect of increased device use on both mental and physical development of children and adolescents and lasting affects throughout adulthood. Primarily the effects are negative. A simple analysis could be made by comparing a 50 year old and a 20 year old making change from a $20 bill. Overwhelmingly the 20 year old requires the use of a calculator ( or a cash register) to make the correct calculation to make change and/or calculate the tax rates. This simple analysis is to show the differences the two adults experienced throughout childhood having instant access to a device that does the "thinking" for them or not and how it correlates to their individual cognitive developement or to put it simply their ability to figure things out on their own without the help of any kind of electronic device.

While I follow the reporting of scientific studies that affect the well being and health of humans and retain enough knowledge to be able to make broad based assumptions that are true ( higher sodium intake significantly increases your risk of heart disease and stroke). I read the first study provided by @mobileuser and was prepared to comment when your response and your study had appeared. I read your study and your stance that there is little research to substantiate  @mobileuser claims that limiting screen time by a parent is in the interest of the preventing possible mental and physical development of children being impaired by overuse of electronic devices and increased screen time.

I find it interesting in rebuttal you choose study with limited results but with an overall conclusion that the use of the internet in school, at home and in the community could not draw a definitive conclusion to its negative effects with a slight correlation to a possible increased benefit. The study was done because there was little previous conclusive studies beforehand and determined larger research studies would need to be done in the future to get a better analysis of the effect.

@mobileuser study had a definitive conclusion of the negative affects on the mental well being of children with medium to high screen time amounts compared to no or low screen time amounts.

The two studies have big differences that negates your argument.

1.  @Karnbot13 study was conducted and then published in 2010.  Basically before the emergence of smartphones and social media and the increased use of instant (text) messaging in daily life.
  2. @mobileuserstudy was conducted and then published in 2018. A lifetime in the terms of the development of portable electronic devices, their abilities and their entrenchment of their use in daily life compared to before 2010.
  3. @Karnbot13  study was a select sampling of 91 children with an average age of 10. Both the children and parents/teachers responded to study questions.
  4. @mobileuser  study was conducted with a broad based sampling of over 40,000 children aged from toddlers to adolescents up to the age of 17. Observational behavior was reported by the children over 7, younger children's caregivers, parents and teachers.
  5. @Karnbot13  study was based on internet use of visiting websites, educational and noneducational based games accessed via the internet, email and instant messaging accessed via the internet.
  6. @mobileuser  study was based on screen time across all types of electronic devices and included text and instant messaging, social media, gaming devices both handheld and stand alone, traditional internet use such as email and television and/or video viewing.
  7. @Karnbot13  study had low reporting of overall use of the internet. High use was in approximately 15% of the study participants.
  8. @mobileuser  study reported a high use of devices and screen time with little or no use reported in about 10% of respondents.

Your choices and opinion and how you parent is your own and unless it contravenes the law is entirely up to you. But to present an argument that there is very little conclusive research and evidence to support @mobileuser  parenting stance on limiting screen time for the benefit of their children based on a decade old study is just plain.....stupid. I would have thought you could find a better research study than the one you presented unless you were counting on no one reading either study to make a legitimate comparison between the two.

Karnbot13
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@mobileuser wrote:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2211335518301827 

I mean, yeah it does seem to have some studies backing the idea of it.

My daughters spend too long on devices, not just cellphones.  I make them leave them downstairs at bedtime, the wifi shuts itself down at their respective bedtimes and I have their PS4 and PC times limited daily by schedule management 

https://www.newcastle.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0014/100292/V10_johnson.pdf

This is one of many that seem to suggest it doesn't. It appears to be the same as it used to be with television. "It's not THAT you're watching, it's WHAT you're watching." Even then, it seems to be a loose correlation without much insight to other environmental factors, the study you linked being especially egregious. That one seems to suggest a correlation based on how the caregivers perceive it, rather than any objective measurement.

mobileuser

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2211335518301827 

I mean, yeah it does seem to have some studies backing the idea of it.

My daughters spend too long on devices, not just cellphones.  I make them leave them downstairs at bedtime, the wifi shuts itself down at their respective bedtimes and I have their PS4 and PC times limited daily by schedule management 

Karnbot13

@iPhoneUser wrote:

@mobileuser wrote:

@popping wrote:

PM is a god sent provider for parents everywhere.  You can tell you kid that your plan has this and this... If you used all your plan data after 3 weeks, you will be on wifi data diet for the rest of this month.  

Also as a parent, I would put Lucky Mobile slightly ahead.  "You have this much data per month, after you exceed that, your problem with how slow it got".   

Data communication to me, being more important than text.  The ability to use maps, find my iphone and such.

Be a responsible parent and be careful with data available to children. As a grand parent I can see with some children data and internet and a smart phone or tablet is their enemy and can lead to huge mental health issues.....something they don’t need to contend with growing up and attending school. Control the use. 

That's not supported by any research that I've read. Do you have something else I could peruse or is this perpetuating an old wives tale that's carried over from the tv era?

iPhoneUser

@Nezgar wrote:

@iPhoneUser wrote:

So when I figured out Telus prepaid to PM......PM was a little less “COMPARED” to the Telus usage.

But look how much MORE I gained 100 outbound minutes free, 250 mb of data, all inbound minutes free, all texts unlimited free per every 30 days. AND no long distance charges as all minutes are Canada wide. Texting includes pic texting and texts are international.

And with the $15 plan, since those 100 minutes are only "outgoing", they go much farther than Lucky Mobile. Currently outgoing calls to toll-free numbers also don't consume minutes, making them go even further! (unofficially)

I spent half an hour on the phone calling Bell satellite TV support this weekend, without using any of my minutes! 👍

Yes I like when I call an  800 number using PM it does NOT count against your 100 minutes!!

Also consider....

Public Mobile suggested add-ons for $15 monthly plan.

If you want to be frugal and flexible this is my suggestion.

Buy the $15 monthly plan.

For add-ons.

GOOD COMBINATION. More flexibility, less overall cost.

2 x $5 add-on (1 cent/min.) 500 Canada-wide Long Distance minutes

1 x $15 add-on (3.75 cent/min.) 400 International Long Distance minutes add-on this gives you full calling LD including USA, Canada and International for less cost per minute than using the $8 add-on. 

=======

$25

NOT SO GOOD COMBINATION.

2 x $5 add-on (1 cent/min.) 500 Canada-wide Long Distance minutes

1 x $8 add-on (4 cent/min.) 200 U.S. & Canada Long Distance minutes

1 x $15 (3.75 cent/min.) 400 International Long Distance minutes add-on.

=======

$33 Total

Note the $5, $8, and $15 add-on would all kick in for Local/Canada Wide calls if your allotted minutes were all used up. This applies to the $15 monthly plan only.

The reason for 2 x $5 add-ons, assuming most of your calls are Canada Wide, is......once 1 x $5 is used up and you are now using the second $5 add-on ......buy another $5 add-on. 8

The $15 add-on is less cost per minute than the $8 add-on (<=less value) and the $15 add-on does same and much more than the $8 add-on (<=less value). 

Note: The add ons I have mentioned do NOT expire until all the minutes have been used.....the unused minutes roll over month to month until all exhausted.

iPhoneUser

@mobileuser wrote:

@popping wrote:

PM is a god sent provider for parents everywhere.  You can tell you kid that your plan has this and this... If you used all your plan data after 3 weeks, you will be on wifi data diet for the rest of this month.  

Also as a parent, I would put Lucky Mobile slightly ahead.  "You have this much data per month, after you exceed that, your problem with how slow it got".   

Data communication to me, being more important than text.  The ability to use maps, find my iphone and such.

Be a responsible parent and be careful with data available to children. As a grand parent I can see with some children data and internet and a smart phone or tablet is their enemy and can lead to huge mental health issues.....something they don’t need to contend with growing up and attending school. Control the use. 

@iPhoneUser wrote:

So when I figured out Telus prepaid to PM......PM was a little less “COMPARED” to the Telus usage.

But look how much MORE I gained 100 outbound minutes free, 250 mb of data, all inbound minutes free, all texts unlimited free per every 30 days. AND no long distance charges as all minutes are Canada wide. Texting includes pic texting and texts are international.

And with the $15 plan, since those 100 minutes are only "outgoing", they go much farther than Lucky Mobile. Currently outgoing calls to toll-free numbers also don't consume minutes, making them go even further! (unofficially)

I spent half an hour on the phone calling Bell satellite TV support this weekend, without using any of my minutes! 👍

mobileuser

@popping wrote:

ckkong

I paid like $45 plus tax before and also $50 plus tax, $60 plus tax before switching to Public Mobile. I noticed my bill was almost $70 a month with the taxes. Due to my situation, I needed to cut costs and just happened my friend recommended that I go with Public Mobile. My family was already on it before I decided to change. Even though my brother told me months before, I didn't decided to change until end of last month and didn't know about the $50 plan with 8.5 GB. I think it was the right time since now I qualified for more discounts without knowing it and yet I want to try to get more savings.

ckkong

Your Telus plan is a lot cheaper than what I paid for Bell and Rogers when I had my own plan. I also had free from 7p.m. to 7a.m. anytime minutes, 5 favourite numbers local free, call waiting, forwarding, voice mail, callerID, conference calling. I don't recall the number of anytime minutes, but the price was more than $35. There was no loyalty discount. I changed to unlimited incoming and outgoing and no data still for the longest time. When I first used Koodo, I had no data on my plan and then got 2 GB. I eventually got the 10 GB of data promo deal with unlimited incoming/outgoing, voice mail, callerID, conference calling, forwarding, and call waiting. I had to use wifi for the longest time. I used to be on a family plan and that time I didn't need the phone that much. That was before smart phones were available.

farmbot

Brain Freeze.

$35 was the cost when I switched.

At that time $40 for 5 Gb. was a treat.

Still the best value $40 plan

@farmbot 

$25 not $35 for PM with unlimited Canada calling and text plus 1Gb data....

AE_Collector

farmbot

Telus prepaid now has $35 unlimited Canada wide calling and Text.

But for $35 Publicmobile includes bonus picture text +1 gb data.

Great value and if step up to $40 plan less $2 auto reward  +5 gb data.

Boom goes the dynamite!

iPhoneUser

@darlicious wrote:

@iPhoneUser  Its hard to beat a phone bill that's under $100 a year! The average telus user pays $1000 per year!

🙂🙂I am NOT average....I am above average (in best value, not to over buy)🙂🙂

@iPhoneUser  Its hard to beat a phone bill that's under $100 a year! The average telus user pays $1000 per year!

iPhoneUser

I  had 2 accounts with Telus prepaid on a loyalty plan. 

$100 + taxes each

Gave us free calls to each of us BUT only in our calling area. 

10 cents a minute calls send and receive 

50 cents more for LD

50 cents a text send and receive 

Then I had to keep a balance of $50 a year to cover 10 cents a minute calls and for all the 50 cent texts. We told everyone to NOT text us as it was less $ to phone at 10 cents a minute. . One text usually leads to three in total.....so $1.50 equates to 15 minutes of call time which would not likely be 15 minutes. 

But look how much MORE I gained 100 outbound minutes free, 250 mb of data, all inbound minutes free, all texts unlimited free per every 30 days. AND no long distance charges as all minutes are Canada wide. Texting includes pic texting and texts are international. Along with some great add ons that carry over month to month. Along with some addons for using in USA. It is a no brainer PM is the best for retired folks, first users, and experienced users. Not to mention the pre Christmas freebies!! And the help is fantastic in the community and from the Mods. Mod wait for the few times I used, took about 3-4 hours to resolve. And that was NOT sitting on the phone for an hour waiting for some one to answer. If you can live with the latter and self serve.....PM is fantastic! The only safe guarding I put in place is....I set up auto pay for the $2 off but I always top up my account with the credit card on file so auto pay never kicks in but I retain the $2 off per month. And lastly, I have recruited 5 customers and along with auto pay I pay $8 for my $15 plan. 

@mattz wrote:

I can tell you right off the bat that Public is better than Telus. Can you believe they charged little ol' me $45 a month? :'(

@mattz  Oh I can believe that....once finding public mobile we just can't believe we accepted paying the price our former providers charged us for so long!

mattz

I can tell you right off the bat that Public is better than Telus. Can you believe they charged little ol' me $45 a month? :'(

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@XionBunny wrote:

I’d honestly like to get back to the level of rewards where I can move to the higher data plan cause I’d easily live on 5 gigs vs 1.

There is $15 difference between the 1GB and 5GB plans.

By summer, you will get $1 loyalty.  Getting another 14 referrals may take some time.  It is doable.  PM plan will sell itself during a promotion.

Need Help? Let's chat.