cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HSPA.

Asher2
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I’ve been noticing when looking at some posts on 3G data, some say that Public Mobile uses HSPA, some say it’s HSDPA, and some say it’s HSPA+

Which one is it?

I know theres likely not much difference between the three but it’s just a bit confusing.

6 REPLIES 6

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

@Asher2 it's HSPA+

Great summary by 3GPP here: https://www.3gpp.org/technologies/keywords-acronyms/99-hspa

I'll try to summarize even further.

• R99 = Basic UMTS voice + data (384 kbps)
  • HSDPA = Shorter TTI from 10ms to 2ms (reduced latency), enhanced link adaptation, enhanced coding, HARQ, higher peak speeds (initially 7.2, eventually up to 14.4 Mbps)
  • HSPA+ = MIMO (not implemented in practice for downlink), 64 QAM modulation, DC-HSPA, resulting in higher peak speeds again (42.2 Mbps for DC, or 21.1 Mbps for single carrier)

In reality, highest achievable DL speed with HSPA+ is around 37 Mbps for DC and 18 Mbps for single carrier. This is due to channel overheads that make it impossible to reach the theoretical limit.

Even after Bell/Telus refarm 3G Band 2 (1900) and we end up losing DC, it would still be HSPA+ since we will have 64QAM.

In my opinion, LTE is still a better choice for UL because of widespread RX diversity at the base station, and 64QAM modulation. DL could be better in weak signal areas on LTE because of MIMO, but this is a generalized statement. With the majority of the network traffic on LTE, the 3G network is unloaded and can offer good performance due to reduced interference from competing users.

Asher2
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Thanks everyone for the replies!

@computergeek541  Well around the GTA. I’ve been using 3G, as LTE hasn’t been working well lately for me (3rd latest post on my profile) and with speedtests I average around 24mbps 

B83EE077-A7A1-48E1-95A0-5761D688DC7F.png

Looking like the max is 25mbps for me, which isn’t bad really, since LTE is capped at 3mbps. Latency actually hasn’t been a problem for me.

Also to anyone who might tell me not to do too many speedtests, I did these on my last day of my 30 day period and didn’t even use it all, but still just had to wait till the next day for it to renew to get all my data back.

oops.. typo. 3Mps

Anonymous
Not applicable

@softech wrote:

@Asher2  PM uses both 3G and 4G.  However, on 4G network, PM data is restricted to 3Gbps only.   At this moment, there is no 5G on PM (likely won't be on it for awhile)..

@softech 

Where can I get me some o' that there 3Gbps?! Downtown TO? 🙂

@Asher2 : Wikipedia says Telus uses HSPA+. It also says HSPA+ could be so-called 3.75G. Generally, the generations are downward compatible in their generation. Interestingly, another Wikipedia thing says that Telus plans to retire 3G the end of 2025.

HSDPA and HSUPA are flip sides of the combined HSPA which HSPA+ is downward compatible to.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Asher2  PM uses both 3G and 4G.  However, on 4G network, PM data is restricted to 3Mbps only.   At this moment, there is no 5G on PM (likely won't be on it for awhile)..

@Asher2 wrote:

I’ve been noticing when looking at some posts, some say that Public Mobile uses HSPA, some say it’s HSDPA, and some say it’s HSPA+

Which one is it?

I know theres likely not much difference between the three but it’s just a bit confusing.

There refer to data specifications. Al three refer to same network. HSPA+ refers to DC-HSPA which in theory, can provide data speeds of up to about either 21Mbps or 42Mbps (depending on regiion).

Need Help? Let's chat.