cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Group Text not working on new PM account

SharleneQC
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I switched from Speakout to Public Mobile yesterday and am having trouble receiving group texts.  I'm on an iPhone 8 with a $25/monthly plan.  After months of coordinating rides on a group text, the group text ability disappeared a few days ago when my Speakout plan changed from a monthly plan to a pay-as-you go plan.  I could still send/receive individual texts but only view older texts in the group from before the plan changed.  After switching to Public Mobile I can send texts to the group again (which other members see) but I don't see any texts they send.  Short summary: Sending/receiving individual texts is working fine.  Sending texts to a preexisting group text is working fine.  But I don't see any new texts from others in the group.

30 REPLIES 30

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@SharleneQC 

How strange, but alas I'm glad it "resolved itself" - thanks for giving us the update!  🙂

SharleneQC

So after a week of futzing the problem went away and group texts have been arriving in sequence for five days now.  It didn't seem to correlate with a specific fix, although restarting brought a slew of new texts a couple of times, as did driving by a cell tower.  Much thanks to everyone for their suggestions, and especially the advice about being patient and waiting for all the system updates to percolate to all the cell providers.  It took more than two days though - the problem was still there 6 days after activating the account and disappeared sometime over the next few days after that (there was a lull in the group text then so it's hard to know exactly when).

i think it's time for the Apple experts here and the Apple experts in Apple Store.

@SharleneQC  time to visit Apple Store.  🙂

SharleneQC

Customer Service was prompt and helpful.  Unfortunately PM isn't able to figure out why the problem exists.  Here's the response:  

"You mentioned that the text messages are working properly when you are texting one person at a time.

We do not have a way to control group texting from our side. We can only fix the issue if the text messages are not working in general.

A suggestion that I have is trying to rebuild the group."

SharleneQC

Yes wifi and mobile data have been turned on all the time.  

Will open a ticket with a PM support agent.  Thanks for the instructions.

@SharleneQC     Is Wifi and mobile data turn on all the time?  you need either one to receive and send iMessage.

have you open a ticket with PM Customer Support Agent yet?

If not, maybe it's time to do so.

If you are going out, I suggest you also check with Apple Store.  They have great support and they might be able to help.

To contact the Customer Support Agent : 

1. For faster response (2 to 48 hours), Click on the bubble in the lower right corner and request Cusstomer Support Agent assistance, or you can also use this direct link instead https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot. Start with typing "Submit a ticket", click on "Contact Us", click on "Other" from the choices, click "Click here to submit a ticket" then Follow the prompts to submit a ticket.

2. Or you can Send a private message to the CS Agent here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

(After you open a ticket with Customer Support Agent, please monitor your Community inbox, envelope on the top right.  Customer Support Agent will communicate with you via messaging within Community)

SharleneQC

The group texts are grey so I can't tell if they're SMS or iMessage.  My texts are sent SMS.  

The "missing texts" have not arrived yet.

I saw  texts for a day (they began after I shut down and restarted the phone and computer). Then no texts were visible in the group the next day (except mine).

Today new texts are visible again (after I shut down and restarted the phone and computer).

@SharleneQC  are the group texts  really SMS text or are they iMessage?

you can tell the difference from the colour Chat-SMS.png

Also, for the one you "missed", were they really missed or you eventually got them, like after a day or more you suddenly got them all?

SharleneQC

Arrrgh!  It's not fixed.

I get texts intermittently.  Group text ability returned Tuesday evening for about a day, then I missed a string of18 texts (about another day) before the next one got through.  So confused.  

SharleneQC

It could be that.  The friend who recommended the reboots has a business working with Apple products so I'm inclined to think that helped.  But patience is essential sometimes too.  Thanks.

@SharleneQC   maybe as I said earlier, you just need to wait a day or two  for for all the carriers and systems to know the new "home" of your phone number?

but anyway.. as long as you are back up and running 100% .. we are happy!!  

enjoy!!

SharleneQC

As of 8PM there are incoming group texts.  A friend asked if I'd shut down and restarted the phone (previously done twice).  Third time was the charm!  Closed out of all apps.  Shut down both the computer and the phone and let them sit a good long time before restarting.  Problem fixed!  Don't know why it worked but it did.

SharleneQC

This link addresses a problem of multiple threads appearing with group chat.  It's from 2014 and the fix they recommend for those ios7 and 8 phones doesn't look the same on my ios14.6 phone.  My phone recognizes the thread, and even merges chats when I make a separate group.  

@SharleneQC  Check out the Helpful posts in this thread: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6616735

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

SharleneQC

Same phone during the switch.  Group text problem began a few days ago when my Speakout plan reverted to a pay-as-you-go plan.  Switched to PM after verifying with a friend that group texts worked for him.  Alas, they don't work for me (yet).

@SharleneQC   can you open a ticket with Apple?  I found another thread in another forum that Apple support will review the log and advise (the other issue was about iPhone 12 not getting Group Chat on T-Moble, the was about turning off Wifi calling.  That won't affect us as PM does not have that... but maybe Apple Support can advise)

SharleneQC

Not sure what's meant by "Turn on our Mobile Data".  I have a $25/month plan which includes data and have used about 50 MB so far.  I don't see settings on the PM site to turn on.

Yes, Group Messaging is activated.  

BlueB

@SharleneQC 

I see you're using an iPhone 8 - were you using this same phone before you switched?  Or, did you switch phones when you switched providers?  (If you switched phones... power on the old phone and connect it to wifi - do any of those messages come through?)

SharleneQC

Sorry, forgot to add they've attempted to remove and re-add my name but were not able to remove.  So they made a new group.  Same problem.

SharleneQC

I'm sending through the Messages app.  All four group members are able to send me individual texts.  They've all sent texts to the group text (visible on their phones, not on mine), and they can all see my texts in the group text.  

I started a new group with the same members, sent a text and it appeared in the old group and I couldn't see the replies.  They've started new groups with me in it and sent test texts but I can't see them.  No problem with individual texts, or my outgoing group texts.  Still a problem with incoming group texts.

@SharleneQC   Try turning on our Mobile Data and see if messages come in.

Also,  check if Group Messaging is turned on 

1. Go to Settings and select Messages.
  2. Find the SMS/MMS section and tap on Group Messaging to activate.

BlueB

@SharleneQC 

Which app did you send/receive Group Texts before your ported?  If you have one of these group members text you directly (separately outside the group), does it work?

I would ask them to remove, then re-add you to the group to see if that helps.  Let us know how it goes!

SharleneQC

Thanks for this very thorough reply.  I stepped through each of these items this morning.  All was as described (including the new carrier update).  Still not seeing group texts (but can send them).

SharleneQC

Thanks.  I hope you're right.  Everything else seems to be working now which is good.

SharleneQC

Thanks for the welcome.  They still see me in the group chat. They're unable to remove or add me.  They've tried to create smaller groups with me in it but I'm still don't get the new group texts.  I see texts sent to my phone individually, but I don't see any texts sent to a group I'm in (but I can send texts to the group which everyone can see).

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@SharleneQC  Try:

1. Turning iMessage & FaceTime off, wait 5 minutes and turn on; will force update of Apple servers
  2. ensuring optimum message settings: IMessage, Send as SMS, MMS, Group messaging, all ON
  3. confirming Send&Receive show your phone number and Apple ID email 
  4. going to Settings >> General >> About: if a carrier update is offered install it

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@SharleneQC   After porting, it is normal that calls and texts from some mobile providers and some systems would take a day or two before know the new "home" of your phone number. You can wait for another day or two to see how it goes.

@SharleneQC...have them re-add your number to the group list. Maybe it got lost in the shuffle when you came to PM.

My group text works just fine. Sounds like your just needs "fine-tuning".

Welcome to PM.

SharleneQC

None of my contacts in the group text have been blocked.  They are able to send me individual texts.  And they're sending group texts.  But I can't see their texts in the group text (just the ones I send).

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@SharleneQC...make sure none of the numbers have been "blocked" on your phone.

Need Help? Let's chat.