cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going straight to voicemail

Dolphin1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Is anyone having an issue with calls going straight to voicemail ?  I find in the past few days this is happening.  We just tested where my husband calls me and it goes straight to voicemail.  Any idea why ?

I've tried in different areas of the house as well as outside and 4 out of 5 calls go to voicemail.

27 REPLIES 27

LoreckAvery

Glad it worked for you!

I’m an iPhone user and I hope my “smart” phone gets smarter with a new update sometime soon that will make it recognize when 3G is needed or not. I reached out to Apple to make them aware you should do the same for your phone company! They can’t fix what they don’t know! 

@kb_mv You probably won't notice any difference honestly... I cant tell.

@Nezgar wrote:

Latency may be a bit more variable though.

@Nezgar How does latency affect me as a below average user (No videos, no gaming etc)?

linkr
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks, everyone, for your feedback (switch to 3G, only) - the phone now works!! 

Because of you, I may just stick with PM, afterall 🙂

Thanks again.

Also, you may find that 3G is *faster* than LTE for downloads as PM only throttles LTE to 3mbps. If you have data to spare, others have reported speedtests showing 10+mbps on 3G mode. Latency may be a bit more variable though.

LoreckAvery

@linkr agree I’ve been with public over 2 years. Only started having this issue the past couple months! When I need data and not expecting an important phone call I will change it back to LTE. Now in their defence they do say data is 3G so I suppose getting in LTE is a bonus 🤷🏼‍♀️

linkr
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hmm - that may have done it!  Unfortunately, LTE is/was much faster - and was working fine, before.  Very strange.

LoreckAvery

@Dolphin1 
force your phone to 3g! It fixed my issue completely 

Dolphin1

@LoreckAvery  Motorola Play7

@Dolphin1, I am not a techie person, so don't hold that against me! "

I just found out that I can turn my text messages onto dark mode after owning the phone for 3 years! 

If one of the following call forwarding settings is enabled, don’t be surprised if your incoming calls land directly into your voicemail: Call rejection or block; Call barring; Forward to voicemail; Obviously, to fix the issue, you need to disable these settings. 

LoreckAvery

What phone do you have?

LoreckAvery

Going thru this currently for a couple months (that I’m aware of) what phone do you have? I have an iPhone 8plus. I’ve done EVERYTHING and brought it to an apple repair place for them to tell me there’s nothing wrong and for public to tell me there is something wrong with my phone. My suggestion is to switch SIM cards with your husband and that will rule out a phone isssue. Also reach out to your cell phone company and to public so they’re aware of the issue. 

sm2016

@Dolphin1

I've posted about this in the forums several times. This is an ongoing issue with public mobile, and I know 2 other people that constantly have this problem. Public mobile refuses to acknowledge this problem... there must be something that is fundamentally wrong with their network and that they're hiding. Please let me know if you ever get this solved... my hunch is that you won't

Dolphin1

@LurganIeUk 

It rings and the call goes through.  Thankfully it didn't happen today.  I need to monitor this.

@Dolphin1 wrote:

@will13am 

By rebooting the phone do you mean turning it off ?  I turn it off for a few minutes at least once a week.

Check both call block and forward and neither of them was on.

Yes, just turning the phone off and then on again.  Sometimes software bugs rear their ugly head and disrupt functionality when you least expect it.  If there are no obvious issues with the phone, it might be worthwhile asking a moderator to check and perhaps reset the self serve account.  I have not had issues with calling for a long time but in the early days I did have my account reset a couple of times to resolve calling issues.  

I should have asked...what happens when you call your husband ?

RosieR
Mayor / Maire

Hi @Dolphin1  here is an article that might help you fix your issue (if you have an android phone)

https://www.technipages.com/fix-android-phone-call-goes-straight-to-voicemail

Dolphin1

@will13am 

By rebooting the phone do you mean turning it off ?  I turn it off for a few minutes at least once a week.

Check both call block and forward and neither of them was on.

Dolphin1

@gpixel 

I'm confused what does auto-pay have to do with the call going directly to voicemail ?

Dolphin1

@LurganIeUk 

The strength was full bars and was not on DND or airplane mode.  The first 3 times he called it went straight to voicemail, the 4th time he got through, we tried it one more time and it went to voicemail.  It's very strange.

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@Dolphin1 wrote:

Is anyone having an issue with calls going straight to voicemail ?  I find in the past few days this is happening.  We just tested where my husband calls me and it goes straight to voicemail.  Any idea why ?

I've tried in different areas of the house as well as outside and 4 out of 5 calls go to voicemail.

What happens if your husband calls you?

Is your phone on DND or airplane mode?

How many vertical bars do you have?

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@Dolphin1 

With Public Mobile, calls must use 3G, whereas texting & data can use either 3G (WCDMA/HSPA) or 4G (LTE) networks.

When someone calls you, your phone has to switch from LTE to 3G to take the call. If that transition doesn't happen fast enough, or you have poor 3G coverage in your location the incoming call may fall to voicemail.

You can try forcing your phone to 3G all the time, no 4G/LTE mode to see if it helps with incoming calls.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@Dolphin1

maybe weather is a factor in your reception

Helpershelper
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Dolphin1 

I haven’t had this happen although it’s common on other cell providers. If this is happening to you a lot, you should bring this to the attention of a mod for them to look into it for you.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Dolphin1 wrote:

Go into the phone settings to make sure "Do not Disturb" hasn't been enabled.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Dolphin1 , I just tried calling from one Public Mobile account to another and had no problems.  If you have not rebooted the phone in a while, perhaps do a reboot to refresh the connection to the cellular network.  See if that makes a difference.  Check also the possibility of call blocking or forwarding being set inadvertently.  

Need Help? Let's chat.