cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting weird calls from "V" phone numbers. What is going on?

Poogzley
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I keep receiving calls from phone numbers starting with "V" the numbers are usually about 15 digits long. These seem to mostly prank calls and scammers. Anyone know what is going on?

FullSizeR.jpg

51 REPLIES 51

alwaysoncall
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

From what I can tell those seem like scam callers for sure maybe try blocking the numbers or reporting them. Hope that helps!

Ritz91

Screenshot_20240131_125326_Phone.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

@softech : No, I was meaning the first step in this process that the CRTC mandated for all providers where malformed caller id's would be blocked. Thus began all the spoofing. The next step is what you found and probably the OP's comment. Nice find by the way.

@MAM : Maybe you could post a screenshot of all you see with this caller id except of course blank out your number.

@MAM wrote:

I just got a new cell phone with new number from Qlink using T-mobile towers.  I called my magic jack phone and my caller ID had a V.   This is the 1st time I've had this happen with my cell phone numbers.   I'm not a telemarketer or using computer generated call.  So that doesn't hold true for every situation   The only thing I can think of is Qlink or Tmobile is tracing my calls from that phone.  My other cell phone is  a tracfone carrier and has never shown V on caller ID

@MAM is this an issue with Qlink  or PM?

Some systems will show  the word Verified (or the letter V) appear any time the caller's telephone provider has confirmed that the call is coming from a legitimate telephone number.

from MagicJack:

https://faq.magicjackforbusiness.com/s/article/Caller-ID-Verification-and-SHAKEN-STIR-FAQs

@Anonymous wrote:

Are all those recipients seeing the V?

It is my understanding that recently providers are supposed to block those mal-formed caller id's.

@Anonymous   you meant the Stir/Shaken?  If so, then NO, STIR/SHAKEN do not block class, they will only show validated calls as “verified” or display calls as normal.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MAM : That user has barely been around here for quite some time and the post you replied to is over 3 years ago. Seems to me your concerns would be directed to all of your other providers... not here.

But interesting nonetheless that your caller id shows an incorrect format. Are your calls going through? Does this happen with all outgoing calls and different providers? Are all those recipients seeing the V?

It is my understanding that recently providers are supposed to block those mal-formed caller id's.

MAM

I just got a new cell phone with new number from Qlink using T-mobile towers.  I called my magic jack phone and my caller ID had a V.   This is the 1st time I've had this happen with my cell phone numbers.   I'm not a telemarketer or using computer generated call.  So that doesn't hold true for every situation   The only thing I can think of is Qlink or Tmobile is tracing my calls from that phone.  My other cell phone is  a tracfone carrier and has never shown V on caller ID

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@dabr wrote:

@Kaleden wrote:

SOLUTION for avoiding the V numbers calling.(Spam and Tekemarketers)  Use CALL CONTROL. Free and works wonderfully!!  

@Kaleden AFAIK so far it's only Telus and Koodo postpaid customers that can use that feature. 

@dabr correct, it is not available for PM customers, and I would 99.9% say not for Koodo pre-paid either since they are on the same back-end system.  However, I use it on Koodo post-paid and it absolutely rocks.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@Kaleden wrote:

SOLUTION for avoiding the V numbers calling.(Spam and Tekemarketers)  Use CALL CONTROL. Free and works wonderfully!!  

https://www.telus.com/en/bc/support/article/call-control-for-mobile-devices-explained

@Kaleden     Are you saying Call Control is available to PM customers?  

AFAIK so far it's only Telus and Koodo postpaid customers that can use that feature.   I'm not sure if Koodo prepaid has that option either.    There was some articles suggesting that the federal government had asked carriers to provide relief for spam calling by the end of last month, but I haven't seen any announcements by the carriers saying they've introduced any new features for customers yet.  

@srlawren  has discussed the Call Control features for Koodo in a few posts too:    https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Getting-several-nuisance-calls-a-d...

Kaleden
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

https://www.telus.com/en/bc/support/article/call-control-for-mobile-devices-explained

stevenanto

@hTideGnow I wouldnt call myself a hero lol. It's also entertainment for those around me if the call comes in during a break or lunch. 

Williamwoof

I just wanted to thank everyone for their responses. We live in a time where scammers seem to be everywhere in thanks - IMO - to the free time that the lockdowns afforded everyone, well more now then ever. I know better then to give out any of my personal information whether that is by email or phone. Usually i won't answer a number that i don't recognize and i always click on the name in an email to see who the real sender is. Unfortunately i feel for the seniors who are easily fooled as seen on some of the YouTube channels. I live in Canada and there is a show called Marketplace (its on YouTube) that did track one of the scammers call centers in India. With the help of the Indian authorities and the RCMP they shut them down but they pop up just as fast as they are taken down. What the RCMP did also was track the money handlers here in Toronto, actually a suburb and arrested them.

Again, thanks to all who responded   

Wm

@Williamwoof 

Oh the "Ni Hao" lady She's very friendly! Be cautious of that suspected drugs package at the border too.....apparently everybody is sending them now!

@stevenanto wrote:

I find it entertaining to waste their time so they have that much less time to scam others. 

But you are wasting your time too.

If I ever pick up such calls, I just say hello (few times) and leave line open. Eventually they hang up.

@stevenanto wrote:

I find it entertaining to waste their time so they have that much less time to scam others. 

An heroic act..thanks for sacrificing yourself to save others.. LOL

I usually start by saying I am FBI Officer xxxx and they hang up right a way.

stevenanto

I literally got a call for this yesterday too but it was a local number, usually i try to drag it on with them to waste their time and give them bogus information, whenever I have the time myself.

This time when they called I gave the guy a very Indian name, Rajesh Koothrappali, as some might know this is a character in big bang theory. I say this without an Indian accent, when he got to the address I gave a random street name and address but kept the city as Pasadena. It never clicked to them that it was not in Canada. The call went on for over seven minutes at which point i was asking him for his name which he gave (sure it was fake) as well as his badge number lol. Then I asked him for his address and he hung up.

@Williamwoof   I got those Chinese spam a lot too, on my different phones with different providers.  So, it is not just a PM issue.  They just call any numbers  

If your number is new and you want to try , you can Change number but I don't think it is useful.  These calls come and go.  You will get a lot sometime and the quiet down for sometime.  They try to hunt anyone and everyone

Williamwoof

Thanks, i usually don't answer numbers i don't recognize but i was expecting a call from a Dr that doesn't show her number. I am also getting a ton of voice msg's from some Chinese lady as well. Very strange. 

Thanks for your reply,

Wm 

@Yummy wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@hTideGnow 

I got one of these calls two years ago they spoofed a real gov.ca number from the federal reserve.

Spammers can spoof any number they want. Even your local non emergency police department.

I get few of those on my land line but unless I recognize the number/name, never pick up. Spammers never leave vmail on my land line (robocalls from politicians DO go into vmail 🤢)

Those who really want to talk to me will leave legitimate vmail.

Some do....but all in Chinese. 

@darlicious wrote:

@hTideGnow 

I got one of these calls two years ago they spoofed a real gov.ca number from the federal reserve.

Spammers can spoof any number they want. Even your local non emergency police department.

I get few of those on my land line but unless I recognize the number/name, never pick up. Spammers never leave vmail on my land line (robocalls from politicians DO go into vmail 🤢)

Those who really want to talk to me will leave legitimate vmail.

@hTideGnow wrote:

The call id shows V11608381500030.. But when I go back to the history there is a 10 digit number below like 613-511-2323  and the 613-511 is the same as my phone number (haha.. no, they are not my number, just giving a fake example)..

Definitely a spoof job. 

4EF6107F-7485-4BDE-991B-2D6000080BCB.jpeg

@CountyDownIeUk wrote:

@hTideGnow wrote:

I got one too around an hour ago

this time the scammer/spoofer didn't do a good job.. or the new Telco system to fight Caller ID already has its use?

The call id shows V11608381500030.. But when I go back to the history there is a 10 digit number below like 613-511-2323  and the 613-511 is the same as my phone number (haha.. no, they are not my number, just giving a fake example).. so, it looks to me they were trying to Caller ID spoof but somehow the real V# show up 

The V formatted number I believe is the caller ID name not the real  number calling. 

Usually the number comes up and not the name.. so, the Spoofer forgot to "disable" the caller name or telco system force a caller name now?

@hTideGnow 

@hTideGnow wrote:

this time the scammer/spoofer didn't do a good job.. or the new Telco system to fight Caller ID already has its use?

The call id shows V11608381500030.. But when I go back to the history there is a 10 digit number below like 613-511-2323  and the 613-511 is the same as my phone number (haha.. no, they are not my number, just giving a fake example).. so, it looks to me they were trying to Caller ID spoof but somehow the real V# show up 

The V formatted number I believe is the caller ID name not the real  number calling. CTRC prohibits carriers to accept calls that are not in the proper format. When my land line was voip I would block those numbers on my account and the true number would show just as you have said. And if you use this  you can find who supplies the number. I found a few V numbers use Iristel. But as mentioned could all be spoofed as is easy to do when using a voip account.  But the V numbering system seems to be consistent.....from who?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hTideGnow : Oh interesting. So the "613" number passed the provider but then the look of the number is the bad one. Scammers gonna scam. Cheaters gonna cheat.

this time the scammer/spoofer didn't do a good job.. or the new Telco system to fight Caller ID Spoofing already has its use?

@Williamwoof wrote:

I just got a call from  V11609053100015 stating that my SIN number has been compromised and they will be putting a hold on my bank accounts if i don't call them back immediately. Wouldn't it come up as CRA??? I think this is a scam????? Anyone else know about this number?? I would also think that i would've gotten an email stating that there is a new message on my CRA account. 

Don’t call back.  Unless you want to have some fun. Usually CRA will mail you by Canada Post. Any call from CRA.....just hang up. If it is truly them,,,,,.because of all the CRA scams they do know there is a chance you will hang up. And I just discovered anything that they mail to you will also be in your CRA account.  Log into your account and click the   mail  box. 

wilts
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Most definitely is a scam call. Do not return the call. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Williamwoof : Of course it's a scam. But I would be notifying the CCTS to inform them that PM is not abiding by regulations that require providers to block malformed numbers.

@Williamwoof wrote:

I just got a call from  V11609053100015 stating that my SIN number has been compromised and they will be putting a hold on my bank accounts if i don't call them back immediately. Wouldn't it come up as CRA??? I think this is a scam????? Anyone else know about this number?? I would also think that i would've gotten an email stating that there is a new message on my CRA account. 

Best just to not answer those calls...or any calls if you don't recognize the calling number. If it's legit, they'll leave a message.

Need Help? Let's chat.