cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting weird calls from "V" phone numbers. What is going on?

Poogzley
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I keep receiving calls from phone numbers starting with "V" the numbers are usually about 15 digits long. These seem to mostly prank calls and scammers. Anyone know what is going on?

FullSizeR.jpg

51 REPLIES 51

Williamwoof
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just got a call from  V11609053100015 stating that my SIN number has been compromised and they will be putting a hold on my bank accounts if i don't call them back immediately. Wouldn't it come up as CRA??? I think this is a scam????? Anyone else know about this number?? I would also think that i would've gotten an email stating that there is a new message on my CRA account. 

thinkpink7380
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I started putting them under blocked calls. But I think it's when we fill out surveys or various online information and they get our number they start calling. One was a sweepstakes give away. Which immediately made me question it. 

@Nanlie interesting  long post but the first step could be easy.  Yes, start with changing your phone number

You also mentioned that seems like someone has access to your information.  I think you should  install some antivirus software on your computer.  Also, start changing your password.  Make it a lot more complicated.   

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Nanlie : FBI is the states. We don't have governors. Biden is the states. Edit: I think you mean HIPAA when you say HEPA...also the states.

Feckless dictatorship...:)

Anyway...I vote changing your number too and above all...practice safe internetting.

Edit again: Wait...Canada has laws prohibiting telecoms from passing malformed phone numbers. Are you asking this here just because or are you a Public Mobile customer getting these kinds of numbers and how recently?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Nanlie 

just ignore them and deleted,

or Changing Your Number,

You can change your phone number up to 4 times every 30 days after you’ve activated. To change go to your Self Serve Account here link, and:

• Select the “Plans and Add ons” tab
  • Click on “Change Phone Number”
  • Then, you can choose to select a new phone number

if you want to Contact Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent, to make report.

@Nanlie wrote:

I get these long numbers that start with a V and they are always some kind of a scam call.  I am now being told they are calling me because I'm hearing impaired.  Another call said I've been referred to them because I need a safety device for my falls. Just now I had a call because I'm a diabetic.  I am none of these but somehow these people have access to tests or information about my blood work.  It is too familiar to me that for different purposes I have searched for my mother and also a dear friend for hearing devices.  I have recently had a high glucose reading that was because of a new medication regime for other causes. and since I've had hospital visits for vertigo that were actually not caused by specific vertigo, Someone is guilty of invading my privacy or hacking my computer searches.  Putting my number on the no-call list is useless.  I have called several times to put it on the list thinking maybe it drops off in a year or two, but that is not the case.  I am on the list and I get sometimes close to 100 calls a week from these healthcare calls, my warranty on my car is ready to expire which is actually funny because my car is 18 years of age, still running but with new tires and well out of warranty and I don't plan on buying a policy for repairs with maybe 10,000 miles before I am no longer eligible. They never get my last name correct and that's the first clue they do not know me and these are robocalls until I finally answer.  I am not well but with different things than these pests are calling about.  I am upset and frustrated with these continuous calls that disturb and agitate me.  There is no way to stop them and I usually don't answer but sometimes out of that frustration, I tell them to stop scamming me, they are guilty of invading my privacy and violating HEPA laws along with the fact that trying to call the number back shows it is an invalid number.  I also tell them I do record the call number and the time and date and when I get a list of six or more calls I report the calls to the FBI.  If they don't stop, I will issue a complaint to our governor's office and the useless Biden administration FBI. We are under siege by a feckless, dictatorship that that just doesn't give a hoot about our Constitutional rights starting with these scams and hacks.  What about the pipeline in the east.  These fools paid the ransom.  They surely don't care about our privacy or annoying scams.

@Nanlie  well, that sounds annoying.

Spam calls will happen.

Are they coming from the same phone numbers? IF so, block them on your calling app.

If they are coming from all sorts of phone numbers, they could be spoofing phone numbers. 

Is this a number new Public Mobile phone number to you? If so, it may be worth changing your phone number through your Self Serve account.

You can change it 4 times every 30 days, if you wish, but hopefully you will not need to do this.

esjliv_1-1628215126540.png

Nanlie
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I get these long numbers that start with a V and they are always some kind of a scam call.  I am now being told they are calling me because I'm hearing impaired.  Another call said I've been referred to them because I need a safety device for my falls. Just now I had a call because I'm a diabetic.  I am none of these but somehow these people have access to tests or information about my blood work.  It is too familiar to me that for different purposes I have searched for my mother and also a dear friend for hearing devices.  I have recently had a high glucose reading that was because of a new medication regime for other causes. and since I've had hospital visits for vertigo that were actually not caused by specific vertigo, Someone is guilty of invading my privacy or hacking my computer searches.  Putting my number on the no-call list is useless.  I have called several times to put it on the list thinking maybe it drops off in a year or two, but that is not the case.  I am on the list and I get sometimes close to 100 calls a week from these healthcare calls, my warranty on my car is ready to expire which is actually funny because my car is 18 years of age, still running but with new tires and well out of warranty and I don't plan on buying a policy for repairs with maybe 10,000 miles before I am no longer eligible. They never get my last name correct and that's the first clue they do not know me and these are robocalls until I finally answer.  I am not well but with different things than these pests are calling about.  I am upset and frustrated with these continuous calls that disturb and agitate me.  There is no way to stop them and I usually don't answer but sometimes out of that frustration, I tell them to stop scamming me, they are guilty of invading my privacy and violating HEPA laws along with the fact that trying to call the number back shows it is an invalid number.  I also tell them I do record the call number and the time and date and when I get a list of six or more calls I report the calls to the FBI.  If they don't stop, I will issue a complaint to our governor's office and the useless Biden administration FBI. We are under siege by a feckless, dictatorship that that just doesn't give a hoot about our Constitutional rights starting with these scams and hacks.  What about the pipeline in the east.  These fools paid the ransom.  They surely don't care about our privacy or annoying scams.

RB13

I get these ALL the time, I automatically block and mark as spam as soon as the phone is done ringing!

EveShelby

The long V number represents the kind of electronic dialer a telemarketing company uses. (eg Vdial and Megatron). 

I don't answer V calls because my son told me a few years back that answering those calls will automatically register my number as a valid one and these numbers they collect are used to create call lists that they use themselves or sell to others. I called one of these calls back just now and there no identitification for the number, just a voice message saying 'leave a number' then at the end it said 'mailbox is full'. 

I could never understand why the CRTC/FCC allowed pbx's the ability to generate their own Call Display info rather than the Telco generating it either as the exact number of the trunk/line calling you or an agreed contact number for the company/organization calling you. Thus you should be able to call back any business calling you and expect a person to answer.

I answer virtually no calls where I don't recognize the Call Display info. 

Terry

SilverStreak54

I definitely need to add that “do not respond to numbers I don’t recognize “ comment to my voicemail announcement!

@Kisa wrote:

I never answer if I do not recognize the caller I.D..  If I hit the "ignore" button on my mobile phone, it goes to my voice mail.  So does that generate more telemarketing and spam calls? 

@Kisa  Another option is to go through your call history and mark the call as spam and permanently blocking that number from calling you.

Kisa

I never answer if I do not recognize the caller I.D..  If I hit the "ignore" button on my mobile phone, it goes to my voice mail.  So does that generate more telemarketing and spam calls? 

wilts
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

As a general habit of mine, if a number seems wrong or fake my answer is to not answer it.  If a voice mail is left then it is your choice.  If it is a legit call you will know.  Most scamers or tellemarketers will not leave a message.

Weren't cellular numbers banned from business calls, as at one time, even to receive incoming calls, the recipient was required to pay for airtime?

mcs11

I know this is a real pain, but I block each and every spam call I get.  I also read the following suggestion on a forum, so I tried it and it seemed to work for me:

I was getting a lot of spam calls from certain area codes, so I created a "Spam" contact. In that "Spam" contact, I added in phone numbers that had only the area codes that were constantly calling. See screen shot.  Then I went into my phone settings and blocked this contact.

IMG_7186.jpg

I was pretty skeptical of this solution, but honeslty, the number of spam callers from these numbers is now nill, whereas previously I was getting several per hour. Maybe you could try creating a spam contact with "V" as one of the phone numbers, then block that contact?

@Poogzley wrote:

@RobertQc wrote:

@Poogzley"Just so you know the long V number represents the kind of electronic dialer the telemarketing company uses. The one that we use in the outsource firm I work for is called Vdial and it is a new dialer also called Megatronand we have only been using it for less than a year. It tracks each and every call and whether a telemarketer is rude to someone they have a record of it and has monitoring equipment in the system to monitor tms all the time for quality and help them learn how to sell the product. Alot of collection agencies that electronically dial use this Vdialer to call people. The drawback to it it calls people over and over alot and makes the public mad because this long V number they see it on their caller id and do not understand what it means. Since is is electronic and computer dialing the company can put any area code and number in there to show up on peoples caller id."

That is good to know. Now how do I get them to stop? I doubt that these are legitimate, the companies calling me are claiming to be Google and "Your major credit card company". I can't believe they actually say that...

I don't think you can do much but try not to answer calls if you don't know who it is,  you can try the national do not call list it may help but that won't stop all scammers. They are already doing illegal things they don't care if your number is on a list. The best thing is to change your number and hope that one has less or no calls.

I am under the impression there are certain numbers that call you, to 1) see if the number is valid and 2) if you answer. If both cases are met you are added to some list where people will physically type in / select your number from the list and call you forever. So those calls could be prevented by never answering unknown calls (in both unknown to you, and unknown to your phone).... Kind of like the unsubscribe feature in a lot of "not legit" e-mails actually get you added to a list to get even more.

As for robodialers that try every combination there is nothing that can be done about that as they change their outgoing number to whatever they wan so you may block that number, but tomorrow it will probably be differet.

If I don't recognize the number, I don't answer. Ever. If its important they will leave me voicemail and call them right back. My voicemail says quite clearly I don't answer numbers I don't recognize. if you want me to call you back leave me your number or text me.

I can tell you, I get less than 1 spam/scam call per year. I can't even remember the last time it happened. Every call that gets left to my voicemail I don't reconize is canadian tire asking me for a survey after changing my tires, or something along those lines.

Poogzley

@RobertQc wrote:

@Poogzley"Just so you know the long V number represents the kind of electronic dialer the telemarketing company uses. The one that we use in the outsource firm I work for is called Vdial and it is a new dialer also called Megatronand we have only been using it for less than a year. It tracks each and every call and whether a telemarketer is rude to someone they have a record of it and has monitoring equipment in the system to monitor tms all the time for quality and help them learn how to sell the product. Alot of collection agencies that electronically dial use this Vdialer to call people. The drawback to it it calls people over and over alot and makes the public mad because this long V number they see it on their caller id and do not understand what it means. Since is is electronic and computer dialing the company can put any area code and number in there to show up on peoples caller id."

That is good to know. Now how do I get them to stop? I doubt that these are legitimate, the companies calling me are claiming to be Google and "Your major credit card company". I can't believe they actually say that...

Poogzley

@Anonymous wrote:

Interesting. Are they people or recordings?

It is a bit of both, I would say about 60% recordings and 40% humans.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting. Are they people or recordings?

Need Help? Let's chat.