cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S9 Buying Guide - Koodo $40/5GB

Hen555
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey Community,

Is anyone thinking of getting the Galaxy S9? 

As per the 'suprise' text message we have until March 15 2018 to switch to Koodo and get the $40/5GB plan. I am also hearing there is a TAB meaning we can get the S9 for subsidized deal if we stay on a contract?

Is the best way to get the Galaxy S9 by switching to Koodo then as per promo code GOKOODO405GBBPO + using referal code + tab?

8 REPLIES 8

crazycolby
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

good to know, thx

Hen555

I'm on Koodo Now!

After doing the math I switched to Koodo for the better $/GB deal. I am happy that as a community we were able to negotiate with Public Mobile (Telus) and get them to give us a better deal...now the deal actually makes sense with 5GB + $150 $100 credits.

I also got my SIM card in store and had to pay total 12.43 bucks for SIM and activation (tax incl)(Get a Discount in store vs doing online)

For the Galaxy S9 deal we can only join it to a medium tab or can we still do a large tab ? On the website the Large Tab subsidizes it a bit more by $45 bucks or something if you look at the total tab cost.

Grampa
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Check the Koodo website. If you preorder the S9 or S9+ by March 15 you get a $150 credit on your bill. The S9 is $980 outright or $620 plus $360 on tab.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

From what I can tell, the tab is an interest free loan but there is also a subsidy component.  Many of the rival brands will show a so called no term price that remains high over the entire product cycle.  This no term price is used to calculate what I call a fake subsidy amount.  If you ever try to cancel a plan prior to completion of a 24 month cycle, the no term price is used to calculate remaining device balance. That becomes the early cancellation fee.

With Koodo, the no term price changes over the product cycle and is sometimes used in timed promotional offers.  The interest free loan is calculated using this ever changing no term price.  To that end, there is a subsidy component.

As for getting the S9, I would imagine the Telus brand would be the first to have it.  It would filter down to Koodo a bit later.  With such steep price for the phone, there is zero chance that it would fit in anything other than a large tab.  The migration offer only qualifies up to a medium tab, subject to credit check of course. 

@Hen555, your desire to obtain a S9 is totally separate from migration.  If you decide to migrate, you will get a plan that allows up to a medium tab.  If the S9 or any device for that matter comes along and qualifies on the medium tab, you are allowed to get it with tab if you so choose to use the tab.  In this way, migrating and getting a phone on tab are two different things.

Hen555

@PJCwrote:

And as far as I understand, the Koodo tabs are not subsidies, they're just an interest-free loan that you pay back monthly.

Yeah upon checking further on Koodos website this is what I thought too. I used to have a Wind Mobilicity Tab and that was actually subsidized and the only catch was I needed to stay with them for 2 years. No change in monthly plans after the tab was paid off but I wasn't paying extra for the tab like how Koodo shows it.

If it's just an interest free loan then the koodo tab doesn't really matter to me.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

Whoa :-

Samsung Galaxy S9+ in Canada costs $1100.00+

Almost like one of these.

PJC
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

And as far as I understand, the Koodo tabs are not subsidies, they're just an interest-free loan that you pay back monthly.

MEU_21
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Assuming you are planning on getting it through Koodo, based on Best Buy's preorder information, you'd need to be on a Tab Large. The 5Gb/$40 Koodo plan will only give you a Tab Medium. So you will probably be out of luck if you have your eyes on the S9/S9+.

BB:

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/koodo-samsung-galaxy-s9-64gb-titanium-grey-with-a-tab-large/123...?

"Before you buy this phone, here's what you need to know

• On a $504 Tab Large with select rate plans. Tab reduces through Tab charge on eligible plans. Some conditions apply."
Need Help? Let's chat.