Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally?

Leaving
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I went through hell. Pardon my French.

I don't know if I can login again. 

Will it log me out? I.e. time out?

I couldn't login. It wouldn't accept my password. I couldn't reset my password. 

I couldn't fill out a ticket.

I tried logging in a zillion times and some random time I tried, it worked. Thus, I can post this. If it registered a password reset request, it shouldn't have let me?

Or is it a time thing?  Will the password I tried not work soon?

So frustrating!!!! I just wanted to set up Autopay!! :-{

26 REPLIES 26

@Leaving wrote:

There's nothing in the plan settings that mentions taxes. It shows that I owe $40.

Screenshot_2019-12-12-Public-Mobile---oneTimeTopUp-Page.jpg

I agree that it might not be the clearest wording and/or in the place you're looking for it. But this is self serve to you.

There is no way to avoid sales tax*. It's always charged at point of sale. If you buy a voucher from a retailer, the merchant is collecting the tax. If you go through self serve or 611, the amounts listed are pre-tax but the amount charged to your credit card will be plan cost + tax.

* Possible exception: I haven't checked it for a long time, but recharge.com, being an online voucher retailer from outside of Canada, used to not collect Canadian sales taxes. However, their processing fees made the purchase on par or more expensive than vouchers sold by Canadian brick and mortar retailers. Great for the convenience of not leaving your home, though.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Leaving wrote:

There's nothing in the plan settings that mentions taxes. It shows that I owe $40.

I posted asking if I owe $38 since I signed up with Autopay. 

I read some other posts discussing 'applicable taxes' which is sales tax in your price.

So I am confused and hope someone can explain and clarify what I owe and what PM will try to charge my CC on a $40 plan with Autopay. 

I don't have any other rewards or discounts at this time. 

Do you have $2 in your Available Funds now?

Do you have autopay set to on?

If so for both then you will be charged $36 + your provincial tax rate ON THE FIRST RENEWAL. After that it'll be $38 + tax. But after all this posting that you've done today, you might even get a community reward. Or maybe you refer others to PM and get more rewards/credits. So it can all vary. Then after a year you'll get a dollar reward. More variation.

Log in every now again and see where your balance is at and what you'll need to pay for your next renewal and deposit that into your Koho account.

Edit: This is the fine print on the payment screen:

Credit or Visa Debit payments include taxes based on the applicable province of your phone number.

@Leaving wrote:

I read some other posts discussing 'applicable taxes' which is sales tax in your price.

So I am confused and hope someone can explain and clarify what I owe and what PM will try to charge my CC on a $40 plan with Autopay. 

not sure if this helps, but here's an analogy I came up with a while ago: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Paying-for-your-service/Taxes-not-added-in-payment-hi... 

@Leaving 

You'll be charged $38 plus tax.

Leaving

waternlava

Yeah it does.

@Leaving wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Ed404 wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

Better safe than sorry!!

So if it fails to take money your phone doesn't work, but you can dial 611 and make the payment as the credit card is on file, correct?

Correct.

There are two schools of thought at work here. Many thousands of customers are merrily living their lives with autopay working perfectly for years on end.

Others not so merrily. So the defensive thing for them to do is to keep their Available Funds up manually so that the payment card doesn't get hit automatically.

It's hit and miss. Thus you're both right.

No. With all due respect, I agree with the guy who asked, "doesn't that defeat the purpose of Autopay?"

PM has my credit card number.  That's the payment method they want.  They send emails encouraging you to sign up for it.

I will have $38 on my CC before the due date.  If I have problems, I will sign up with someone else.  Why would I make a manual payment when they are going to access my card for funds on the due date - or does a manual payment cancel the autopay system for that month?  It's confusing. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Leaving wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Ed404 wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

Better safe than sorry!!

So if it fails to take money your phone doesn't work, but you can dial 611 and make the payment as the credit card is on file, correct?

Correct.

There are two schools of thought at work here. Many thousands of customers are merrily living their lives with autopay working perfectly for years on end.

Others not so merrily. So the defensive thing for them to do is to keep their Available Funds up manually so that the payment card doesn't get hit automatically.

No. With all due respect, I agree with the guy who asked, "doesn't that defeat the purpose of Autopay?"

PM has my credit card number.  That's the payment method they want.  They send emails encouraging you to sign up for it.

I will have $38 on my CC before the due date.  If I have problems, I will sign up with someone else.  Why would I make a manual payment when they are going to access my card for funds on the due date - or does a manual payment cancel the autopay system for that month?  It's confusing. 

I agree too. But this payment system often has problems. Of course we see those complaints here. But there are a vast majority of customers getting along fine with autopay. But when they don't, then they need to do something else.

Manually paying does not negate autopay. I use a prepaid card to get the $2. I otherwise have a balance on my account in so that that card never gets hit.

Edit: after your post...If you signed up for autopay during activation (not after) then you will get an immediate $2 in your Available Funds. Rewards get converted into Available Funds at renewal. You will get another $2 autopay reward (and maybe other rewards) at renewal. So doing nothing else you get $4 off the plan cost at your first renewal.

The system always takes money from Available Funds first. If insufficient then it goes to find the rest from a registered card with autopay set up. If there's no card or autopay then the service suspends for lack of payment.

Some of this stuff is confusing for new customers. Don't worry...we're all here to help you along.

Leaving

I thought the autopay avoided the tax.

It doesn't, huh?

I am using a KOHO reloadable credit card.  So, I have to use my bank account and 'transfer funds' to the CC.

If I use the $40 plan, taxes make my payment $45.20.  I know this from (Ontario Sales Tax aka HST) online sales tax calculators and that's what the cost came to when I was getting the voucher.

I signed up for Autopay today. Is the $2 discount going to be applied on this upcoming due date?

I would need to add $43.20 on the CC?

Or should it be $45.20 and $43.20 the next time?  It's confusing.  

Leaving

@Anonymous wrote:

@Ed404 wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

Better safe than sorry!!

Correct.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ed404 wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

Better safe than sorry!!

Correct.

@Ed404 wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

Better safe than sorry!!

No when AP fails your account gets suspended then the fun begins.... Smiley Happy I enable AP just for the reward, I don't rely on it.

Ed404
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@geopublic wrote:

Better safe than sorry!!

@Ed404 wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@Leaving  Yes, but just to be safe try making a one time manual payment a couple of days before your renewal to make sure there are no issues with your cc and the problematic PM AutoPay system.

Doesn't this defeat the point of Autopay?

Better safe than sorry!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hilarious. Two opposing comments. And both are right!

Ed404

@geopublic wrote:

@Leaving  Yes, but just to be safe try making a one time manual payment a couple of days before your renewal to make sure there are no issues with your cc and the problematic PM AutoPay system.

Doesn't this defeat the point of Autopay?

@Leaving wrote:

I added autopay. So PM will try to take $38 ($40 plan) from my loadable CC on the due date?

Is that how it works?

Ed404

@Leaving wrote:

I added autopay. So PM will try to take $38 ($40 plan) from my loadable CC on the due date?

Is that how it works?

Yep. Now you don't need to worry about it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Leaving wrote:

Is that how it works?

Not sure what you mean by loadable but yes. The date on your account is the date of the new term. So 12:01am of that date and overnight it will take your money if you don't have sufficient Available Funds.

Leaving

@Ed404 wrote:

@Leaving  Do you have a credit card on file?

I do now.

Leaving

Is that how it works?

Ed404

@Leaving  Do you have a credit card on file?

@Ed404 wrote:

I think you can setup Autopay by dialing 611, I'm not sure.

@Ed404  You can only enable/disable AutoPay via 611, you still need a CC to be added during activation or via selfserve.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Leaving wrote:

I tried logging in a zillion times and some random time I tried, it worked. Thus, I can post this. If it registered a password reset request, it shouldn't have let me?

Are you possibly confusing logging in to the community with logging into your account? They're two separate log in credentials. They may very well be the same but they're technically separate.

Ed404

I think you can setup Autopay by dialing 611, I'm not sure.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Leaving wrote:

@Leaving  Your Community account and your selserve account are two different accounts.

No, It should continue to work.

To set up AutoPay, sign in to your Self-Serve account, select the ‘Payment’ tab, then ‘Register for AutoPay’. From here, you can sign up for AutoPay 

Note: When entering the postal code do not enter any spaces. Also do not use the unit number field even if you live in an apartment or condo and use a desktop browser if you can.

PAULRANG18
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Contact a moderator for any complicated issue by clicking question mark, bottom right, and follow instructions.

Need Help? Let's chat.