cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fax machine squelch sound at beginning of calls

trishe
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Anyone else experiencing this? When I dial a number sometimes between when it rings and when the call is answered I hear a large loud constant irritating non stop squelching sound similar to that of an old fax machine. 

Sometimes it is after they say hello and they hear it too:-(

I have to dial again and hope the call goes through.

This is with my good phone. 

49 REPLIES 49

@trishe 

It would also be helpful if we knew the make and model of your phone.

@trishe 

I think @Nezgar may be helpful with troubleshooting your calling issue. If you have bluetooth headphones or even a bluetooth speaker connect it to your phone to see if you get the same issue when you make a call.

It does sound like maybe you have an issue with your phone's antenna? Causing interference?

To test  your phone in safe mode to see if a third party app is interfering with your phone follow the instructions below....

Find problem apps by rebooting to safe mode

Some apps that you download can cause issues with your phone. Try the steps below if your phone has any of these problems:
  • Restarting itself.
  • Freezing. 
  • Crashing.
  • Running slow.
Restart in safe mode

Important: Safe mode removes some Home screen widgets. If you use widgets, take a screenshot to help you put them back.

If your phone is on
  1. Press and hold your phone's Power button.
  2. On your screen, touch and hold Power off darlicious_0-1624096525886.png

. Tap OK.
  3. After you see "Safe mode" at the bottom of your screen, wait to see if the problem goes away.
If your phone is off
  1. Press your phone's power button.
  2. When the animation starts, press and hold your phone's volume down button. Keep holding it until the animation ends and your phone starts in safe mode.
  3. You'll see "Safe mode" at the bottom of your screen.
Tip: Airplane mode is automatically turned on when you enter safe mode. We recommend turning airplane mode off in order to continue using features such as GPS, Wi-Fi, and making phone calls. Step 2: Check if the problem goes away
  • Use your phone normally and check if the problem goes away.
  • If it does, an app is likely causing your problem. Go to step 3 below.
  • If the problem doesn't go away, an app isn't causing your problem. See a list of other troubleshooting solutions.
Step 3: Exit safe mode
  1. On most phones, press your phone's power button for about 30 seconds, or until your phone restarts.
  2.  On the screen, you might need to tap Restart darlicious_1-1624096525833.png

Tip: After you leave safe mode, you can put back any removed Home screen widgets. Learn how to add widgets.
Step 4: Check apps
  1. One by one, remove recently downloaded apps. Learn how to delete apps.
  2. After each removal, restart your phone normally. See whether removing that app solved the problem.
  3. After you remove the app that caused the problem, you can add back the other apps that you removed. Learn how to reinstall apps.

Tip: To help identify which apps are causing problems, make a list of the apps you force stop.

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@softech - I agree about the app... the only reason I asked was because some calling apps can directly interact or replace the OEM's dialer app and that could cause some conflicts.  It's highly unlikely, but I can see it as a remote possibility.  😞

BlueB

I just noticed you're having some other issues here too:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Self-Serve/Number-invalid-error-message/td-p/695806

In such a case, I'd go ahead and reach out to a Moderator to double check your account.  Things still don't seem like the root issue is from Public Mobile, but at this point, may as well try something a bit different (with a Moderator!) and see where that goes.

I'm with @softech - goodluck and let us know how it goes! 🙂

@trishe   honest, app shouldn't affect your PM calls, no worry about app.

Sorry for asking you to try this and try that.  I understand it is not ideal, just want to help and confirm it is not a phone issue.  Cos messaging with mod back and forth takes time, just want to help you to rule out all the unrelated things and you can tell mod you tried all these  🙂

good luck and keep us updated

BlueB

@trishe 

Thanks for all the details.  I agree with you, that you really shouldn't need to be the tester for these issues.  The reason why we're asking you (as fellow users) is because it's a very weird problem, and likely not a Public Mobile system issue as opposed to something connected with you or your account.

Have you already tried it in a second phone?  It wasn't clear when you said a third phone.  Regardless, trying that will tell us if it's your phone (and/or apps) or something else.  If you still have issues with another phone, I would be tempted to open a ticket with a Moderator to double check everything is OK on your account - (click the chat bubble, lower-right corner and open a Ticket with a human).  🙂

From a technology-perspective, it doesn't sound like a "Public Mobile" problem than a "technology" problem.  Meaning, if you switch to another provider and use the same phone, you could have a similar issue.  If it is Public Mobile, hopefully a moderator will be able to look into this and give you some details on what's going on.

trishe

How can I tell if an app is interfering with my public mobile phone service?

Delete all apps?

How else can I test for that? 

Thanks

trishe

Blue B hi.  I am not using any head sets or head sets of any sort.  I often ...almost always...use speaker phone & that makes it louder and even more irritating for me.

It can happen when not using speaker phone too.

This is difficult for me read all these and typing on little phones .  I am not in a cell reception area so to do any testing or make any calls I have to drive somewhere.  As I said it happens in various locations.

I use my cell phones for emergencies while travelling.  It is harder to read them during the glare of full daylight with sunshine.  I will test them while I go out to do necessary things. It is not my job as a customer to be a phone tester. I will send another separate  message to the moderator team  to try to access technical support.  This means waiting somewhere for their reply at random locations because I will not text and drive. Probably will do this in the cool of the evening with less glare. Got to remember to pack a small pin or paper clip to pop the Sim out. Each phone is different.

What a hassle to just make and receive phone calls. 

It has been over a year with no problems. Hopefully these will be resolved so there are no disruptions of service due to I don't know what.  ...

My accounts are paid regularly.  I have 2 because when I make a payment sometimes I have to wait hours for the payment to be recognised. 

I might have to switch providers if these issues are not resolved. Thank you great people for trying to help with this. I referred public mobile to everyone I know.  Not all have switched but with these problems the ones who would  might not

trishe

I have other phones to swith it into and test it on

It happens at various locations good great or poor signal indiscriminately randomly

My SIM  cards are not dirty there is no dust nor spilled liquid nor anything on them

I have to wonder if my numbers were hacked.  Happening about the same time as the lack of *611 on the other phone.

I will switch SIMS  again onto my back up third phone 

yes, @BlueB made a good point.  Cleaning the SIM would not solve your issue here (although doing it once in a while won't hurt)

Another thing, does it happen when you are at a specific place..maybe your home or your work?   Honest, it's a weird one. Usually it is the overall voice quality and not a one time fax noise in the beginning of the call.

I really hope you can get another phone to test it out for a day or two.

BlueB

@trishe 

If your phone can connect to Public Mobile (service), then cleaning the SIM won't affect any noises from your phone.

In addition to the "are you using a headset?" question, I should also ask if you're in an area with somewhat poor signal?  Sometimes poor signal can introduce digital fragments in your call.  It's not as common these days but still happens.

trishe

HI Blue B thank you for clarifying that.  I have never had to clean my SIM  cards with other providers.  This is very strange indeed.

trishe

Sof tech it happens on any number randomly not every call but almost every call. It never happens with messenger or app phone calls.  Thank you for replying

Anonymous
Not applicable

try it please and i Love to hear your service is working

your welcome to public mobile

with a Beautiful Service

you will be very happy

Good Luck

BlueB

@trishe 

Cleaning the SIM is important if your phone intermittently (or always) has problems with accessing your service on Public Mobile.  Since that works, and it's a noise issue, I wouldn't necessarily try that.

The other questions from @softech and me will help narrow down whether it's a phone issue or call issue.

trishe

SS thank you I will try all that later today.

I do know how to reboot a phone or computer and understand what that means.  It has been done. 

I will try cleaning the SIM  card and if that does not solve it contact the nice moderator team

Thank you again for replying.  This has only occurred within the past couple of months 

BlueB

@trishe 

That's strange.  I'm guessing you don't have any apps interfering with this?  Are you using a headset of any sort, or directly with the phone held to your ear?

@softech made some good suggestions about trying it in a different phone to see what happens.

Not just other numbers, does it always happen with the same number as well?

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@trishe   I understand you said it is with a good phone, but did you try to put the PM sim into another phone and see if the same happens?

Also, does the issue happen on one or two particular number or ALL the numbers you tried?

Anonymous
Not applicable

can you do try reseat the SIM card

1.power off your device

2.take out the SIM card,

3.wipe it clean SIM card,

4.put it back and power on,

5.toggling airplane mode off/on,  

it happened sometime you know, A normal reboot without reset, didn't work. At least try it,

only work after reseating the SIM card.

can you try it selecting the network to "3G ONLY"

for iPhone visit HERE 

or HERE 

for android visit HERE ,

what is mean for Rebooting the phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on.

if you still not working you have to Submit a ticket to customer service by Moderator Team,

Only one way to solve your issue , explanation to customer service by Moderator Team

and the are nice service Team the will help you 100%.

Here’s how to contact customer service by Moderator Team,

• Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. Click HERE to get started.
  • or you can send a private message to Moderator Team  by Click HERE
  • You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

• please include in your message,
  • your account number,
  • your phone number,
  • your account 4 digit pin,
  • explanation to them nice Team and nice service.

Good Luck

Need Help? Let's chat.