Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fast 3G speed today?

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Screenshot_20210615-000937.png

Screenshot_20210614-162734.png

Any idea why I'm getting these high speeds today in Surrey, BC on my 3G plan?

31 REPLIES 31

@gpixel 

Looks like it is just my spare data account that has unthrottled 4G LTE. I put it to sleep tonight we will see if it continues to have that data speed when I wake it back up again. It would another good selling point if I decide to go that route.

One last test....still zippy!One last test....still zippy!My main account...still throttled.My main account...still throttled.

@BearFBI wrote:

@computergeek541 said "(My phone calls what most people call 3g as "4g")"

Hey my phone does that too. When I switch to 3G or make calls my phone displays 4G. Though it was only me lol. 

Some phones also change those symbols based on the carrier of the SIM card inserted.  I've seen a phone that says "H" but will say "4g" for HSPA networks if you change the SIM card.

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@computergeek541 said "(My phone calls what most people call 3g as "4g")"

Hey my phone does that too. When I switch to 3G or make calls my phone displays 4G. Though it was only me lol. 

@ziojoe 

That's because you are using the telus network thru public mobile. I have two phones with public mobile. One says its connected to public mobile the other to telus.

ziojoe
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I wonder though, it shows Telus, not public mobile as the source.  I have Telus and Public Mobile for my 2 plans as I test out PM and when I first turned on mobile, it showed Telus, which I don't have a data plan with,

@gpixel 

A little slower today but that's probably due to network traffic given the time and the heat!

Screenshot_20210625-171324_Chrome.jpg

@gpixel

I'm close to renewal so it was no big deal on that account. Twice as fast as my home internet that how I knew something was up.

@darlicious 

I just do partial speed tests. you don't have to wait till it's finished. once you know it went over the throttle, then close the tab.

@gpixel 

No the last pic is my home internet. This screenshot is my $15 account that I just did a speedtest on......so we have answered that question! Woohoo!

One last test still zippy!One last test still zippy!Screenshot_20210623-173516_Settings.jpgScreenshot_20210623-173554_Settings.jpg

@darliciousthe only way to know is if you do a speed test. my device will show LTE+ if it is throttled or not

if that last pic is of the $15 plan. then you probably have full speed...

@computergeek541 

Well I will do a couple of speed tests at the end of the month to see what I am getting. It was loading the web pages a heck of a lot faster than my internet at home....it was almost instantaneous. It was like that last month as well when I was renewing a suspended account while I was out and about. The system took my payment so fast I managed to reactivate the account 8:59:59 pm pt one second to early! I just didn't put two and two together at the time.....

Screenshot_20210623-004302.png

@darlicious wrote:

@BearFBI @gpixel 

So I rode over to kits beach to watch the sunset and pulled out my phone to sign into my account and noticed it loaded very quickly. So I took a screenshot of my moto G7+ and of each sim card I have in A3 when I changed the sim card using data. So the $15 plan and then the $10 plan and another $15 plan. Note the symbol in the top right corner of the screenshots.

Screenshot_20210622-212503.pngScreenshot_20210622-212550_Calendar.jpgScreenshot_20210622-212636_Calendar.jpg

Without knowing how each of your specific phones labels HSPA and LTE network connections, "4g" and "4g+" could mean either network type.  The 4g+ in the signal meter could either refer to HSPA-DC or LTE-Advanced (My phone calls what most people call 3g as "4g").  Your plan's data speed (or a temporary glitch causing full LTE speeds) doesn't affect the type of network that you connect to.  Even people who have "3g" plans can connect to LTE-Advanced. 

@BearFBI @gpixel 

So I rode over to kits beach to watch the sunset and pulled out my phone to sign into my account and noticed it loaded very quickly. So I took a screenshot of my moto G7+ and of each sim card I have in A3 when I changed the sim card using data. So the $15 plan and then the $10 plan and another $15 plan. Note the symbol in the top right corner of the screenshots.

Screenshot_20210622-212503.pngScreenshot_20210622-212550_Calendar.jpgScreenshot_20210622-212636_Calendar.jpg

BearFBI

@gpixel Jee, you got lucky like I did I guess. 

Changing plans reprovisions the system and screws it all up. Keep it the way it is and you might be fine. 

lol I'm never changing plans again! thanks @BearFBI for the tip 👍.

BearFBI

I had full speed LTE on the 35$ Plan once but I lost it when I switched plans to the 25$ plan. 

I was angry. Forgot all about it. 

At least I got to enjoy the snappiness at camp. 3G speed is annoying. 

Talking about speed, my upload is 0.70mbps. GARBAGE. The throttle is so inconsistent, even doing the speed test shows how it starts so slow then finally gets to 3mbps. 

not me..:(

My wife has the exact same phone, is on the same PM plan, and was in the exact same location as me but she is still throttled. I'll take it though!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I would be just sorta kinda quietly enjoying another PM quirk. There are several.

Screenshot_20210620-080253.png

Yup. This is right now in Surrey, BC.

Does anybody here still have full speed LTE?

I'm not worried, it's going to last for a long time for me 😉

BlueB

Enjoy it while it lasts, but also... watch out for how much more data you might use up faster! 😁

darn, I thought I was the only one who had that. maybe I'm the cause of it...

😯

stevenanto
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Thats amazing, as long as it's not the other way around. enjoy it while you have it. 

chainsawcowboy

@DennyCrane 

Thanks that's good to know....that would wipe out my data plan in one kick at the can. That would be shock if you thought you were throttled and a speed test would be maybe 10mb and instead you get a text from pm saying you have used 100% of your data!

About 250MB per. More than I was expecting, but i have only used 20% of my allotment and  I'm renewing in 10 days. The joys of working from home and being on WiFi most of the time. 

chainsawcowboy

@DennyCrane 

How much data did you use running those speed tests?

Thanks. I saw another thread about an outage, so this lines up. Not a new customer. I was noticing more "zippineness" than usual when browsing so I ran a speed test which gave me surprising results. 

Need Help? Let's chat.