cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jayesh46
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Facing a peculiar issue with SMS service, Please help

Hello,

Can someone please help in resolving a very peculiar issue I am facing with my SMS service?

I am trying to reset my CIBC application password using SMS authentication, however, I am not receving the only SMS for CIBC verification codes and able to send/ receive SMSes for normal use. How to tackle this? this is urgent and CIBC cant helps me much.

Regards

Jay

Re: Facing a peculiar issue with SMS service, Please help

@jayesh46 wrote:

I am trying to reset my CIBC application password using SMS authentication, however, I am not receving the only SMS for CIBC verification codes and able to send/ receive SMSes for normal use. How to tackle this? this is urgent and CIBC cant helps me much.

Are you a new customer and have you ask for a number to be ported in? Sometimes after a number port, I have read that these type of 2FA authentication text messages sometimes don't start working again until after 48 hours.

will13am
Oracle

@jayesh46 , I am a CIBC customer and I have no problems receiving 2FA SMS codes on 3 different accounts.  Have you ever got it to work?  IIRC they allow 3 phone numbers to be added.  Only the mobile number will work with SMS.  The other two can do calling.  In fact, have you tried getting the code via phone call?  

jayesh46

Brent_liza1

Try this. I hope it works. sometimes the Authenticator is wrong inside the phone. This can happen when daylight savings time hits. 

If you are using Android

1. Go to phone settings
  2. Depending on your phone - click Additional settings / General settings / System, ...
  3. Click Date and Time
  4. Enable Automatic date and time
  5. If already enabled, disable it, wait a few seconds and re-enable it

and if using Authenticator app try this 

1. Go to the main menu on the Google Authenticator app,
  2. Click Settings,
  3. Click Time Correction for Codes and
  4. Click Sync Now.

If you are using IOS

1. Go to your phone settings
  2. Click General
  3. Click Date & Time
  4. Enable Set Automatically
Dunkman
Oracle

@jayesh46 

Unlikely to be an issue with porting if it was done in November. 

Maybe try simple things like rebooting phone.  Network reset.  Check whether you blocked any certain numbers in your phone.  

You could also put your SIM card in another working phone.  This helps determine whether hardware issue versus Public mobile service problem.  

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@Brent_liza1 wrote:

Try this. I hope it works. sometimes the Authenticator is wrong inside the phone. This can happen when daylight savings time hits. 

If you are using Android

1. Go to phone settings
  2. Depending on your phone - click Additional settings / General settings / System, ...
  3. Click Date and Time
  4. Enable Automatic date and time

and if using Authenticator app try this 

1. Go to the main menu on the Google Authenticator app,
  2. Click Settings,
  3. Click Time Correction for Codes and
  4. Click Sync Now.

If you are using IOS

1. Go to your phone settings
  2. Click General
  3. Click Date & Time
  4. Enable Set Automatically

Wrong time zone or wrong time would make message have the wrong time but it would still come.

jayesh46

Yes, I tried the 'call' option too, still, no call received and again normal calls can be placed. I don't have any other mobile number to replace this current one or else I would have opted for that easy way out. Looks like somewhere I am not registered for these services, either at public/CIBC1(they confirmed no issue from their side).

Brent_liza1

Are you using android?

jayesh46

Thanks for your response. I did try things you have mentioned, never used google authenticator, but let's try to work with that one.

Need Help? Let's chat.